General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 11:44 PM   #1  

Default Any opioins from teachers or parents?

What do you think about parent helpers in the classroom....are they for the most part a positive thing.....what are your school policies? Do you agree or disagree? I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks

Liz
Old 10-16-2006, 10:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

I think parent volunteers are essential in elementary schools. With a ratio of 23:1, kids need more that one teacher can give. While I can't volunteer at school, I'm glad there are folks who can.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:25 PM   #3  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

When both of my DD's were younger, I helped in both of their classes, and the teacher always thanked us parents so much, because it gave more one on one time with the students.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:24 PM   #4  
Addicted to potato salad!

When my son was in preschool, there were SO many moms, it became a social event for the moms to sit and bag on other moms that may or may not have as much money, etc. I used to go hand out every day because the teacher would sit and talk about how much she hates her husband and how much she drank every weekend and how proud she was that she was smoking pot in 6th grade. The other moms would join in and bring their breakfast and coffee and sit and gossip the whole three hours. This was a private preschool and the only preschool for about a 30 minute drive away. It's also located in the elementary school that my son was going to be going to kindergarden in, so I wanted him to get to know the school and kids...so I'd go and be sure he was looked after properly and to be sure they weren't gossiping about ME in front of my son. I've been considering going to the preschool board and complaining. My son's in kindergarden now and they have a certified teacher's assistant in the classroom with the regular teacher AND a teacher's aide for a special needs kid, with 23 kids and so they don't need any volunteers. Although, I would LIKE to volunteer.

BUT, when my daughter went to kindergarden (different town/school) the teacher had a sign up sheet for parents that wanted to help out and I'd go once a month on Mondays (I was working full time then) and cut things out for the teacher or sort the Scholastic book orders and have fun watching my daughter intermingle with her friends. I think it's a good thing in moderation. It definitely has to be controlled. In preschool, I told the teacher she should have a schedule of when a mom can come in and help. She said she didn't want to deny anyone of the mom's from being with their kids. I thought that was bull...but you know. About half of the kids were pulled out of the class by the end of the year and most said it was because of the atmosphere in the class.

To make a long story short, I think it's a good thing to have a mom in there to volunteer. It makes the kids that belongs to the mom feel special and it gives nice memories for both the kid and the mom...but only one parent at a time, please.

My $.02 !!
Old 10-16-2006, 01:35 PM   #5  
hara hachi bu

techwife, that preschool story is insane! I've never heard of anything quite like that. Thank goodness for you it's over. Ick.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:44 PM   #6  
Domestic Engineer

I think it's a good thing albeit controlled like the pp mentioned. With all the cutbacks and increased class sizes, I think teachers deserve a little help from parents. And I think it's a great way to volunteer in a "visable" way to your kids. I also think it's just good to be in the schools enough so that you are recognized and the teacher really knows you and maybe even the principal. Not that your kids will be given special treatment, but maybe a little more respect.

I do think teachers need to set boundaries though. No parent needs to be there all day everyday.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:05 AM   #7  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

As a teacher (grade 2) I have mixed feelings about parent helpers. I would LOVE the assistance, but sometimes it is honestly more trouble than it is worth. I have had parents put the kids down. I have had parents use bad language. I have had parents who talked about the kids to other parents. I have had parents who tried to take over. I have also had parents whose skills were so weak that I had to correct everything they did. I know that everyone doesn't have to be strong academically, but it is usually in the academic areas that I need assistance, and if I have to correct everything then it is just like having another student in the class.

Oh... I have also had some incredible parents, and I appreciate them SO much, but I can't just 'pick and choose' or it looks awful to those poor parents who aren't 'invited' in. So, I tend to just ask for parent help with special things like cooking or excursions. That way they can still have a little input, but in a more relaxed atmosphere.

I hope I have explained that OK. I don't want to sound mean, but I truly have had parents who cover the extremes of 'good' and 'bad' and it is hard to tell the difference at the beginning of the school year, so I don't put out a general invitation anymore.

Zelma
Closed Thread