Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-12-2006, 08:57 AM   #1  

Default What do I do with chicken tenders....

any idea on what I can do with these? I don't want to fry them like usual because of the fat although I could use Pam.....

I used to do them with salsa but don't have any and don't have time to shop tonight...any ideas???

Bake, simmer in chicken broth, what????
MoNewEngland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:22 AM   #2  
hara hachi bu

If they're unbreaded, you could marinade them. Then maybe bake them? I'd also consider browning them in Pam spray and chopping them up to add to a chicken-noodle or chicken-vegetable soup. Sounds good in this cool fall weather!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:53 AM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

i have stir fried mine with onions and green peppers , used cheese, salsa and LC whole wheat tortillas and had chicken quesadillas. Really good with a little fat free sour cream or some guacamole.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:58 AM   #4  

My mother cuts them up, breads them with crushed cheezits or shakenbake and then bakes them in the oven.. the kids get to help make them and they love these "chicken nuggets".

Someone on these boards came up with a buffalo chicken salad, if you like buffalo wings. Take the chicken tenders and cook them in a skillet and then remove them. Dice into bite size pieces and then return them to a pan with a small small amount of lite margarine and some hot sauce and toss them to coat. Serve onto a salad (I prefer romaine w/chopped celery and fat free ranch/blue cheese so its realistic like eating buffalo wings)

Pretty much anything you can do with a chicken breast, you can do with a chicken tender. The only difference is it cooks faster, which is kinda nice, really.

Other ideas:
Add bbq sauce, italian dressing, or other sauces and bake
Dice them up, cook in a skillet and add to almost anything - risotto, pasta, salads, beans and rice, make chicken salad
saute them with onions and peppers and a bit of mexican seasoning for fajitas
teckeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

I brown them in a nonstick skillet with Pam after giving them a good coat of Mrs. Dash. When they are just about done, I give the pan a good squirt of lemon juice. Dice them up and add them to couscous and mixed veggies. You can add more lemon juice or low sodium soy sauce.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:46 PM   #6  
I'm gettin there

S/C/G: 231/190/155

Height: 5 foot 7

1 lb chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup crushed corn flakes (, or cheese crackers)
1/4 cup italian seasoned breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium glass or plastic bowl, combine chicken breast and buttermilk; cover and put in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
3. Combine corn flakes, italian seasoned breadcrumbs, garlic powder, oregano, and black pepper in large ziploc bag.
4. After chicken is chilled, drain off liquid and add to ziploc bag, shaking to coat.
5. Add olive oil to shallow baking pan; place chicken in pan.
6. Bake for approximately 4 minutes on each side, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
7. Serve with honey mustard dip or light ranch dressing.
Suggested Side Dishes

If you feel like indulging a bit, add some baked steak fries (Ore-Ida makes some that are fairly low in fat) or baked potato chips. Vegetable suggestions: Salad, peas, green beans, broccoli. Also, vegetarian baked beans are high in fiber and would go well with this meal.

Nutritional Content per serving (Not including dip)

Calories - 94
Total fat - 2.8g
Saturated fat - 0.7g
Polyunsat. fat - 0.4g
Monounsat. fat - 1.4g
Cholesterol - 13mg
Sodium - 279mg
Total carbohydrate - 10.5
Dietary fiber - 0.6g
Protein -6.8g
Iron - 2mg (11% percent daily value based on 2,000 calorie diet)
metalgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote