Old 10-11-2006, 11:42 PM   #1  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

Default motivators

I know I know - loss helps you motivate.
BUT when it is all so readably available - and you are used to reaching your hand to your mouth - and you have to work, so you don't have time to go for a walk to distract yourself, and brushing your teeth does nothing, and drinking water does nothing and chewing gum makes you hungry and you have already given into one craving, and you are going crazy because you know you will give in, what do you do? and how do you keep going? How did you change your lifestyle? what was your main motivator for change? (I am asking lots of questions here). How can I do this without ordering something like nutrisystem or get a trainer, how do I acquire the discipline needed? (when the only support I can get is limited?)

help! Its time for a drastic change, and I don't know if I can get there - and it scares me! (how can you imagine yourself then when you have never been since you were 8 years old???)
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 395/319/185

Height: 6' 1"

I feel you about imagining yourself. I have never been thin. I want to get to some size, but even when I wore that size, I was the fat one. I too find a lack of motivation in most of my life. I actually felt okay tonight. I worekd out a little and wasn't all that hungry until my roomie started bugging me to eat something (I was getting there but I wanted a shower first). Well, it didn't go too well. I didn't completely overdo it, but I'm sure I ate more than I should have. My only motivation for dieting is the same one I have for life right now, and that is Rodney Atkins' "Going Through ****" That may sound cheesy and corny, but that is what has gotten me through this semester, and if I imagine my hunger as ****, it works (sometimes).
Motivation is my worst though. I def feel your pain.
missindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:18 AM   #3  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

My advice, don't overwhelm yourself with what you have to lose, but keep it in focus. If I thought about the final goal I'd lose motivation VERY fast! So I think about the choices I make for THAT DAY! Not tomorrow, not the next day, just that day, and I applaud myself each time I drink a glass of water instead of a soda, or have a salad instead of fries, or whatever it is...those, as little as they are, are accomplishments! If you walk to the store instead of take the car, or park a little farther away at work so you can walk...those are all good things! Start small, and it's the small things that make a big difference!

I didn't think I could do it, and I didn't have alot to lose, granted, but it still hard...no matter how much weight you lose! We've all been there, and we all still struggle with it. It's a daily choice to get up and live a healthy life! If you have a bad day, dust yourself off, and know that tomorrow is a new day to start again! You can do this!!!
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:47 AM   #4  
Goodbye Fat!

Bida my biggest motivator is myself. I know that sounds weird, but it is right now. I have nothing external motivating me. I know that everytime I workout I feel better and that makes me feel good about myself. Everytime I pass up junkfood or fastfood I am proud of myself. I am taking control of my like and doing it on my own. I am the one who make my body get out of bed for a 5am work out and who puts fruits and veggies in my mouth. The side effects of this are that my body feels great and I have more energy that I have ever had. It shows in the way I feel about myself and the confidence I exhibit. I do get tired sometimes and think how long can I keep this up then I think do I really want to go back to being a couch potato and wearing windpants because they are the most comfortable. No, I want to be able to wear a fitted shirt and look good. I want to be able to wear skirts and show off my legs and have people think she is so healthy. Not skinny, but healthy a person who takes care of her body through exercise and eating a well balance diet. If anything you should be your own motiviation!
dollypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:39 PM   #5  

For me it is little things along the way. Yesterday I got in a GREAT work out and ate really well. I woke up this morning feeling wonderful! Then today when I was on my way home (I live on a military base) I got a very appraising look from the young, sexy gate guard. That look made me feel young and sexy, and it was - again - WONDERFUL. I know that if I don't keep making these positive changes in my life that those feelings will stop. Also, I know when I eat that fabulously greasy bacon cheese burger and fries that my blood will start to feel like sludge in my veins. My body feels so good when I take care of it, so it is the little things that keep me going!
Apolline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/149/135

Height: 5'7

As of lately, my new motivator has been a mantra of sorts that I just happened apon flipping channels one day. It's weird but I love to watch infomercials & televangelist, don't know why just a thing I do. But one day I happened apon a televangelist who kept saying "In order to have what you've never had, you have to do what you've never done." I'm sure she ment it in a different way, but ever since, when I feel like I'm starting to fall off the wagon or like I want to eat my weight in french fries I just tell myself In order to have what' you've never had you have to do what you've never done, & it makes me feel better. Like I'm taking resposibility for my previous failures or shot comings & know that it has to be different this time. It's kinda dorky, but it keeps me going.
Trendle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:46 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendle View Post
As of lately, my new motivator has been a mantra of sorts that I just happened apon flipping channels one day. It's weird but I love to watch infomercials & televangelist, don't know why just a thing I do. But one day I happened apon a televangelist who kept saying "In order to have what you've never had, you have to do what you've never done." I'm sure she ment it in a different way, but ever since, when I feel like I'm starting to fall off the wagon or like I want to eat my weight in french fries I just tell myself In order to have what' you've never had you have to do what you've never done, & it makes me feel better. Like I'm taking resposibility for my previous failures or shot comings & know that it has to be different this time. It's kinda dorky, but it keeps me going.

I love your mantra!!!
Apolline is offline   Reply With Quote