Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-06-2006, 02:17 PM   #1  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Default Tuna

How long is tuna good for, in an open can in the fridge? I left half in the can covered in wrap.

I opened a can on wednesday morning, I left it in the fridge until this morning, when I mixed it with mayo to eat for lunch... would it still be good tomorrow if I left it in the fridge? or am I pushing it?
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 02:32 PM   #2  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

i'd take it out of the can and stick it in a baggie withthe air pushed out. Storing stuff in metal cans makes it go bad faster, at least accordingto my mom. Maybe it's because it's more exposed to air, than it is in a baggie...
hoodj0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #3  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

Height: 5'3"

I seem to recall eating tuna that old before. I think the main thing you have to watch for is the eggs in the mayo, but if it's been refrigerated the whole time I think you'll be okay.
callystia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:19 PM   #4  
It's working this time!

S/C/G: 235/212/175

Height: 5' 1.5"

This isn't 100% foolproof, but I'd say that as long as it still smells ok when you go to eat it, then it's probably fine. If it looks funny or smells funny, don't take any chances.

But, yeah...I'd take it out of the can and put it into some other container.

Tisha___ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

I always learned never to keep your food in the can after you open the can. I'm not sure exactly why...if it has something to do with oxidation due to the metal of the can damaging the food, faster spoilage, or if there is something else. I do know that you're really not supposed to keep food in open cans, though.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:33 PM   #6  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

i took it out of the can this morning and have it in like a cream cheese container..... so it was in the can for two days... im sure its fine, i just dont wanna get sick at driving lessons tomorrow, haha

thanks!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:35 PM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Canned tuna will keep for quite a while, longer than fresh tuna. The salt they add to it acts as a preservative (which is partly why they add the salt). Now that you have it out of the can, I think it should be fine (you should never store anything in a can). If it's bad, it will smell bad. As others suggested, just give it the old smell test--if it smells okay, it should be fine to eat it.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote