Old 10-06-2006, 05:13 AM   #1  

Default Is it safe here? Lost 10lbs once in 2 weeks doing this.....

I'm new here. I use to calorie-restrict a while back and off and on. Once I went down from 204lbs. to 190lbs. or around the lower 200's to 190lbs. eating 1200 calories a day for 2 weeks. That was the best I ever did. To be honest with you it wasn't 1200 calories. It was 800! That I was starving myself! Then I was told by a doctor online there is little difference between a 800 calorie diet and a 1200 calorie diet or no difference at all. You lose the same amount of weight or rarely a little less. I find it easier to eat 1200 calories.

Right now I eat betwee 1200-1500 and still lose pretty well. I make sure I have a regualr meal for dinner so at ngiht I will not be hungry because I'm a night eater sometimes. So here I am, new to this board and saying hi to all of you! Hi and good luck! This diet really works and it works better than Atkins in the long run and in the beginning somewhat too..........

Hope I can make some friends!
Icanchangemylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Welcome! Sounds like you are trying to be less extreme and will hopefully reap the benefits! I actually have lost weight eating more calories than you are. My own personal feeling was that if I could lose 1-2 pounds a week eating 2000 calories/day then I would prefer that to eating less. As I've lost, I've brought my daily number down, now I keep it under 1800 with lots of exercise. My thought is that I am more likely to stick with this if I feel less deprived and can occasionally eat something I might not otherwise eat, and still get in enough nutrients.

Welcome, this is a great place!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:56 AM   #3  

Thanks for the welcome wyllen!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:18 AM   #4  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Smile

Hi there,

Welcome! I'm fairly new here myself, although I've been successfully, if slowly, losing weight and keeping it off for a while now. I definitely agree with Wyllenn -- you can lose weight eating more calories than you are. 1200 is the bare bones minimum a woman should eat without medical supervision if she's totally sedentary.

A good rule of thumb is 8-12x body weight daily in calories to lose weight. Higher end if you're very athletic or if you're under 25 or so, lower end if you're not active or more mature. Your range would be about 2000-2800 now. Then you lower the calories as you lose weight. I don't what your exercise routine is but since you're young the middle (2400) should be a fine place to start, just to try for a couple of weeks. Overly restricting rcauses you to lose healthy muscle tissue instead of fat and reduces the likelihood you'll stay on plan. Plus, if you start at rockbottom calories, where can you go from there as you proceed?

Also, I get the idea by what you said about making sure you get a good dinner that you might be hoarding calories for the evening. Make sure to spread out your calories in meals and snacks throughout the day to keep your appetite in control. This will be easier to do if you eat more calories.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by 3Beans; 10-06-2006 at 11:23 AM.
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:36 AM   #5  

3Beans......Ahhhh! Ok....How about 1500? Max I will go is 1800!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #6  
Observer of Phenomena

Of course it's up to you! There are many schools of thought. But if 1800 is your max, why not try that for a couple of weeks? If it works, you get to eat more yummy food and get more nutrients into your body and still lose weight!

My suggestions are from my own experience. I've been doing x10 my body weight. (I should mention here that I'm 34 yrs. old and exercise 4-5 times a week) Not only has that worked, but when I had to take a long break from counting because of changes in my life I was able to maintain just by eating reasonably and excercising a few times a week. What I'm getting at is, I didn't get that post-diet gain because I didn't overly restrict. When I've done low calorie crash diets in the past the weight came back with interest when I gave up. And of course I gave up, because overly restrictive diets suck! They're no fun.

You need to do what's right for you, though. I hope this helps!
Old 10-06-2006, 08:07 PM   #7  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Welcome Icanchangemylife, check this link out!

Womens Nutrition Health Guide
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:06 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 199/175/165

Height: 5'8

Icanchange, I think how you are dieting is working great for you and I would suggest to keep up whats working. If you up your calories like 3beans said expect to lose less then a pound a week. I work out 5-6 times a week and calorie count and aim for around 1400-1600 calories a day and I only lose a pound a week so if you go up to the 1800 like she says it will be more like a half pound a week and thats not gonna keep you motivated, well it wouldnt motivate me!

Sorry 3beans but most people cant lose weight at the calorie levels you are suggesting unless you think a pound or 2 a year is good weight loss.

I like the link Jasmine gave good way to figure out maintenance and figure out how low to go to give the results per week you want. 3500 calories= 1 pound!
lookergirl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:15 PM   #9  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Hi looker. It is great! My "maintenance" with exercising 60 minutes a day is 2865.2. I try to keep it to 1600 to 1800 most days so that is a daily deficit of at least 1000 cals a day. So times 7 days a week = 2 pounds! I just looked at my average over the last week, I had one bad day(2000 cals) and one really bad day!(2400 cals) but it still averaged out to 1850 a day. That is a deficit of 7105 cals for the week!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 199/175/165

Height: 5'8

The post I put up before this one I thought about it and I think I might have sounded rude and I didnt mean to so Im sorry if it came off that way. I just know my scale just wont move with the calories you suggested 3beans unless it is with the 8x my weight and that would move very slowly. Everyone is different we all have to try things out and see what works for us.
lookergirl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:24 PM   #11  
Observer of Phenomena

Right. 1400-1600 is 8-10x your body weight if your stats are accurate. The OP currently weighs 245 lbs. Why would you eat the same calories to lose weight? Why do you think the OP would lose the same lbs. per week as you when she has more to lose?

1200 is less than 5x her body weight. Personally, I would not be able to sustain myself healthfully on 5x my body weight. But like I said before, there are many schools of thought. In my experience a little patience is rewarded with results that stand the test of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookergirl76 View Post
Icanchange, I think how you are dieting is working great for you and I would suggest to keep up whats working. If you up your calories like 3beans said expect to lose less then a pound a week. I work out 5-6 times a week and calorie count and aim for around 1400-1600 calories a day and I only lose a pound a week so if you go up to the 1800 like she says it will be more like a half pound a week and thats not gonna keep you motivated, well it wouldnt motivate me!

Sorry 3beans but most people cant lose weight at the calorie levels you are suggesting unless you think a pound or 2 a year is good weight loss.

I like the link Jasmine gave good way to figure out maintenance and figure out how low to go to give the results per week you want. 3500 calories= 1 pound!