Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-05-2006, 09:58 AM   #1  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Default Single sets of low reps high weights - good idea?

Hello LWL!

I didn't have time to plan my workout and didn't take my little notebook to the gym, so I decided to do a full body workout, using as many different machines/exercises I could think of!

I did just one set on each exercise, of 6 reps, but the 6th rep was pretty gruesome, teeth gritting, face pulling etc!!! I feel like I've had a good workout, but is this effective or is there something somewhere that says the 3 sets of 6 reps is optimum since it takes a while for your muscles to realise what you're doing???

BTW I did plenty of exercises per body part, eg overhead db press AND front raises. I also did lat pulldowns, and rows and assisted pullups etc etc.

What are your thoughts?

I probably won't do this kind of thing every time I go to the gym, but it was interesting and made a change!

TA
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:48 AM   #2  
Chicken Wings!

S/C/G: 150/140/130

Height: 5'2"

My Personal trainer always had me doing 8-10. He said if you can't get to 8 without getting a little shaky, to drop the weight down. The goal is to be able to get a decent amount of work in but not tire too quickly.
Good luck! I have learned to LOVE weight training.
MomToKaylaAndTwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:00 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think it might be a good idea to shake up your muscles a bit so I'd say go ahead and do something different once in a while!

As far as doing one set of 6, I always thought that your muscles do need a bit of warming up. It sounds like they don't get much of a chance, they go from working to shaking. I'd be interested in what others have to say as well. If I did it, I probably would've did one "easy" set to warm up, then a set of 6.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:29 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2frustrated View Post
I feel like I've had a good workout, but is this effective or is there something somewhere that says the 3 sets of 6 reps is optimum since it takes a while for your muscles to realise what you're doing???

TA
I wouldn't do multiple sets to failure with a heavy weight, because I would quickly burn out. Try to terminate the set before you reach failure if you are doing a 3x6 scheme. According to
Prilepin's Tablel you should be using a weight ~70-75% of 1RM for your 3x6 scheme.

If your main focus is getting stronger rather than bigger, this sort of scheme should be very productive for you. Just don't be afraid of leaving a rep "in the tank". It is very easy to burn out training on heavier weights/lower reps.

Robert
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:49 AM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I wasn't doing 3 sets to failure. I did one set of 6 to almost failure. I just thought I'd read something that said the 3 sets activates the muscles more or something
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:22 PM   #6  
Mel

Change is good!

There are studies on "older" populations that show that 1 set of 8-10 reps to fatigue increases muscle mass.

I wouldn't do that kind of workout on a regular basis, but every once in a while there's no harm and it's kind of fun. I'd suggest an overall body warmup first tho- maybe 5 minutes of walk-run on a treadmill just to het all the joints working.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:01 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2frustrated View Post
I wasn't doing 3 sets to failure. I did one set of 6 to almost failure. I just thought I'd read something that said the 3 sets activates the muscles more or something
Probably not enough to work for you. I would do either one set of six to complete and utter failure (a la Arthur Jones) or three sets of six to near failure.

Another way to go is to try what the powerlifters call a "max effort" workout: a series of progressively harder single rep sets until you reach failure. The trick is to make the jumps small enough that you get enough reps in to stimulate growth. They usually alternate max effort workouts with "dynamic effort" workouts where you train with lower weights for speed and explosiveness.

As Mel said, any change is likely to stimulate progress for a while unless you are either under or overtraining.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:08 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
There are studies on "older" populations that show that 1 set of 8-10 reps to fatigue increases muscle mass
So, Mel, does this mean I needn't do 3 sets of 12 anymore? I did try a leg press at my body weight the other night and was able to do one. Wouldn't be able to a whole lot of reps though.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:17 PM   #9  
Mel

The studies that I've read start with a sedentary population and generally only last 12 weeks. I think you're past that point

On the other hand, you could take the approach that one is better than none...unless you get hurt

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote