Old 10-04-2006, 09:56 PM   #1  

Default Please rate my day

My friend said I ate too much for dinner. I either eat too much, or too little. This is what I had today, I do not know what to do. My goal is to eat fruit during the day, and protein and veggies for dinner. Please tell me what you think.

Thanks!

B - Quaker Weight Management Oatmeal - 160

S - 25 Grapes 75

L - Orange 65; 25 Grapes 75

D - Salmon 150
Here is where things went wrong...I planned to have ONE salad. I ended up having TWO which consisted of an ENTIRE bag of salad.
Lettuce (the whole bag - 3 servings) 45
Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing (2 servings) 180
20 Grape Tomatoes 120
Little bit of shredded cheese & Croutons (guessing 200 not sure)

Thanks ladies!
WhitWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:45 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 1.5"

Hey, there. I don't usually post, but I just wanted to suggest that maybe the reason you eat "too much" (which, it really wasn't, for the overall day) or "lose control at dinner is because you're not getting any protein or fat basically ALL DAY. At least try some string cheese, or maybe adding some protein during the day at lunch... Your body is probably starving for volume and calories by dinner, which makes you eat more. I'm not trying to rip on your plan, it's just been my experience that only eating simple carbs will generally make me crave more fat and protein later. Strive for some balance. Why not have half the salmon and one salad at lunch, with one serving of fruit...and then you could have the rest of the salmon and a second salad at dinner, with the other piece of fruit.

Also, are you sure you're getting enough calories for your height?
mandagemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:58 PM   #3  

Thanks for your input.

I would like to eat a "normal" lunch, but I am in grad school and always on the go. At first I tried coming home for lunch, but it took up too much time to drive home and I was rushed. Then I tried taking my lunch to school, but it got stolen from the community fridge too many times. I only have class Mon - Weds, so the lunch thing is only an issue three days a week.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:04 PM   #4  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

You are still at about 1000 calories for the day, and there isn't any junk in there-I would actually say that you aren't eating enough. Everything you are eating is healthy, and you are WELL below a calorie range that you should be able to lose at at your stats. There's nothing wrong with two salads, especially because you aren't getting your other calories from fatty foods. It's perfectly normal for you to have still been hungry enough to have that for dinner-you have not overeaten. I would think this is too low of a calorie level for you, so if you're still hungry, you are making some admirable food choices-you could have eaten 3 salads and you still shouldn't feel bad. Don't be so hard on yourself-atleast it wasn't a whole bag of chips instead of a whole bag of lettuce! I HAVE to count in some kind of treat every now and then or I go nuts......
Just a suggestion here, but you may actually lose faster if you up the cals. If you keep them too low for too long, your body will get accustomed to it and you may end up getting stuck on a plateau with no reasonable level to drop down to.
And try not to be too affected by comments like that. The people who love us mean well, but it's hard to deal with sometimes anyway. Until recently my husband would raise an eyebrow or begin to make a suggestion about my eating habits (too much, too little, or "you're having a cookie? I thought you were on a diet") and it would really bother me and make me second guess myself. In the end it's your body, and you're the only one that has to love it and live in it, so just do what makes YOU feel healthy and good about yourself and try not to take the rest too seriously.
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:12 PM   #5  

I, too am in school. (Not Grad school, though...maybe later =P). I take string cheese with me for snacks, because it doesn't *have* to be cold. Also, I have resorted to protein shakes occasionally. Is there any way you could sneak in some nuts or something? Even a PowerBar would help keep your energy up and also help keep blood sugars even. I must admit that even though my food isn't exactly great-tasting, I still eat lukewarm SBD Kits and sometimes will pack a PB sandwich, because it doesn't need to be cold. =) And me being in Texas REALLY DOESN'T HELP. =) Maybe in Illinois you could leave your lunch outside and it would FREEZE. Haha. Good luck!
mandagemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:07 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Your aim should be to choose healthier foods during the day, and protein and veggies for dinner is just fien for that-but you are:

~Eating too little, for one. 1000 calories a day is not enough. 1200 is pretty much bare minimum.

~Eating only carbohydrates during the day, all the way up until dinner-which is not balanced, and does not keep you satisfied very long-which is why you are starving at dinner. Your diet consists of no dairy pretty much...and no protein during the day at all until dinner. Not good-and combined with the too low calories-it is a recipe for a "binge" or overeating episode in the evening.

You didn't eat too much for dinner, I don't think. You can eat loads of veggies for very little calories, which is one of the good things about them.

I do recommend the following:

Adding in 200-300 more calories per day, to get you to at least 1200-1300 per day. I recommend adding these to breakfast and lunch. Add some low calorie protein to your breakfast-have a glass of skim milk, or a serving of fat free yogurt along with your oatmeal. You will stay satisfied longer, and your calories will be at a better level. Add another serving of either skim dairy (cheese, yogurt, milk) OR a low calorie protein along with lunch.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:36 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
Your aim should be to choose healthier foods during the day, and protein and veggies for dinner is just fien for that-but you are:

~Eating too little, for one. 1000 calories a day is not enough. 1200 is pretty much bare minimum.

~Eating only carbohydrates during the day, all the way up until dinner-which is not balanced, and does not keep you satisfied very long-which is why you are starving at dinner. Your diet consists of no dairy pretty much...and no protein during the day at all until dinner. Not good-and combined with the too low calories-it is a recipe for a "binge" or overeating episode in the evening.

You didn't eat too much for dinner, I don't think. You can eat loads of veggies for very little calories, which is one of the good things about them.

I do recommend the following:

Adding in 200-300 more calories per day, to get you to at least 1200-1300 per day. I recommend adding these to breakfast and lunch. Add some low calorie protein to your breakfast-have a glass of skim milk, or a serving of fat free yogurt along with your oatmeal. You will stay satisfied longer, and your calories will be at a better level. Add another serving of either skim dairy (cheese, yogurt, milk) OR a low calorie protein along with lunch.
All very good points and ideas -- thank you very much.

However, dairy products really upset my stomach. I think I am lactose intolerant or something so I never buy milk. Even though I LOVE yogurt and cheese, when I eat either I suffer, believe me! Also, I do not eat beef or pork because I hate the way it makes me feel.

What if I eat eggs and toast for breakfast? Also, do you think I can keep a frozen dinner in my locker for 3-4 hours before lunch? Is that safe? I know that they say "Keep Frozen" but I am trying to think of a way to have an actual "lunch" without placing it in the fridge, where it will likely be stolen.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:45 AM   #8  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

When I was in college I was constantly on the run, and lived off campus, so I never had time to run home for lunch....my secret...getting an little ice pack, and a thermal lunch bag to put it in, so that you can keep it in your locker and keep your food cold... take baby carrots, hard boiled eggs, protien shakes, turkey roll-ups....there are some that are non-dairy, because both my parents are lactose intolerant, and they have them....I'll find out the brand for you. What about protein bars? A little bag of almonds, a salad (dressing seperate of course)...a thermos of soup...whatever you want....
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:00 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Mickey View Post
When I was in college I was constantly on the run, and lived off campus, so I never had time to run home for lunch....my secret...getting an little ice pack, and a thermal lunch bag to put it in, so that you can keep it in your locker and keep your food cold... take baby carrots, hard boiled eggs, protien shakes, turkey roll-ups....there are some that are non-dairy, because both my parents are lactose intolerant, and they have them....I'll find out the brand for you. What about protein bars? A little bag of almonds, a salad (dressing seperate of course)...a thermos of soup...whatever you want....
Ok...the ice pack/thermal lunch bag is a great idea. I have no idea why I never considered it. Looks like someone is heading to Walmart soon...
Old 10-05-2006, 11:15 AM   #10  
It's working this time!

S/C/G: 235/212/175

Have you ever tried Lactade (or is it spelled Lactaid?)? Anyway, I'm semi-lactose intolerant too, so those little pills seem to do the job for me.

Tisha___ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:20 AM   #11  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

I have kept frozen dinners out of the freezer before lunch many times. They're usually still cold by the time it's time for lunch...just subtract a couple minutes from the heating time. When I used to eat them I would just take them out of the freezer before leaving home in the morning. I don't think anything bad can happen in a few hours, especially coming from being frozen hard in the freezer.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

You could either have the eggs and toast for breakfast (just make sure it is whole grain/whole wheat) or, you could have an egg with the oatmeal-as long as you are getting a little protein in the morning.

If you don't tolerate dairy well, then be sure that you are taking a calcium supplement that ALSO contains vitamin D. The vitamin D helps the body to absorb the calcium-without the D, the calcium doesn't do nearly as much good-this is why milk is often fortified with it.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #13  

Everyone has been a great deal of help! I am seriously going to make some changes because it's beyond wanting to lose weight and look "hott." I really, really, want to be a healthy adult. My doctor always tells me to lose weight and watch what I eat so that I don't end up like my family, but never really gives any pointed tips.

So I'm heading to Walmart to buy things I NEVER buy.

Thermal lunch box
Whole Wheat Bread
Eggs
Turkey lunch meat
I guess I can start eating sandwiches.

You ladies have been great.

Last edited by WhitWhit; 10-05-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:44 PM   #14  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

Don't forget to get an ice pack... not the hard ones, but a soft gel pack thing... they are easier to use, and take up ALOT less room! Have Some Happy Lunches
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:04 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I know that you are getting one, but I just have to second the thermal lunch box idea. When I started out at 300 pounds the first change I made was to bring lunch/snacks to work everyday in a thermal lunch box. It is a big factor in my success and really increases my food options during the day. Prior to this I ate a lot of lunches from the vending machine. No more Fritos for lunch for me!

Let us know how it goes!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote