Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Default Peanut butter - what's up with that?!

Hi,

I started my committment to natural peanut butter with Smucker's natural creamy peanut butter. I really liked it, but then went to Trader Joe's and saw that the peanut butter was a dollar less. I bought the Trader Joe's and it just didn't seem to taste as good! Has anyone else experienced this with different natural peanut butter brands? Both had just peanuts and salt...how could they taste so different? Am I crazy? Is this mental?

I think I'll finish off the Trader Joe's, but I can't wait to get back to Smucker's.

Hmmm...maybe it's better that I don't like it as much - I probably use less on my bread because of it.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Maybe it's the quality of the peanuts? How they are grown and processed? If you eat peanuts on their own, you'll find that they don't all taste the same........some are just BLAH tasting, even though they looked okay to eat.
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:57 PM   #3  
Mel

I'm a "Crazy Richard's" Crunchy fan. The only ingredient is peanuts...no salt. I could, and unfortunately have, eaten entire jars of the stuff.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:31 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I love Trader Joe's creamy peanut butter, no salt
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:06 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Maybe one has more salt than the other? Maybe one includes more oil than the other (the natural oils, not necessarily adding additional oil)? Maybe one is organic (the TJ one might be, so maybe you're not getting the familiar aftertaste of hormones and chemicals from industrialized farming )? Maybe the peanuts are from different places--I know apples from New England taste better to me than apples from other places.

In any case, congrats on switching to a natural peanut butter! I also use natural peanut butters with no salt, peanuts only. On a sandwich with good bread and fruit spread, I can't even tell the difference.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:46 PM   #6  
hara hachi bu

I like peanut butter so much that I'd probably not notice a difference.

This is slightly tangential, but I purchased some homemade peanut butter from a local restaurant only to find out that they use partially hydrogenated oils in it! I emailed them and said it would be very cool if they could manage to make it with better oils. Haven't heard back yet.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:48 PM   #7  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

I just finished off a natural PB sandwich! Yes, I have tried several brands and yes, they all taste different and have a different consistency (I eat crunchy but I'd guess the smooth varies, as well.)

After trying several brands, as well as the unbranded kind found in large vats at Whole Foods and other such stores, I actually found that my favorite is Kroger Natural Crunchy. I eat some almost every day. YUM!
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:34 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

I switched from Jif to Adams Natural, and while I like the flavor of the natural fine, I don't like the texture at all. And I'm on my 3rd jar, so I think I've given it a fair chance. I have a jar of Jif that I'm going to mix into what's left of the natural. It improves the texture, and to a lesser degree changes the taste. I'll also try to find another brand of natural. I usually shop at a Fred Meyer's which is owned by Kroger, and carries a lot of Kroger brands, but not the natural pb. Adams is the only one they carry in the regular section of the store. There are a few brands in the natural foods section, and I'll have to scope those out. Being in a rural area, I don't have a lot of choice of places to shop, and there are no places like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods in the state. (Believe me I hit them when I travel! )

I did notice however, on the new jar of Jif I have that they now have no trans-fats, and sweeten with molasses rather than sugar (not that it's much better).
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:39 PM   #9  

Regarding texture: I haven't taken the time to try this, but I wonder if anyone has?

I wonder if buying in small jars, scooping it all out of the jar, and whirling it in the blender or food processor for forever would make a difference. If it does, maybe then making sure to keep it in the fridge would keep everything emulsified and smoothe.

Inquiring minds want to know!
luvmypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:24 PM   #10  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

With any produce you may notice a difference in taste due to the soil it was grown in. Just like us, plants evidence the "garbage in -- garbage out".
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 170/166/150

Height: 5'8"

Oh, smucker's natural peanut butter is very yummy. But yes, I have tried a variety of natty peanut butter and even though the ingrediants are the similiar they do vary in taste.

So no, you're not nuts. (No pun intended...Maybe intended a little.)
Hale_Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:28 AM   #12  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
I'm a "Crazy Richard's" Crunchy fan. The only ingredient is peanuts...no salt.
D-I-T-T-O
Crazy Richard's Creamy and Crunchy are my favs, especially when dipping sliced Granny Smith apples in it!
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:18 PM   #13  

Height: 5'6"

My favorite kind is from a local store. You pour peanuts into the bin, put a container under the nozzle, and turn the grinder on until you've ground out the amount you want. The oil in this peanut butter doesn't separate out before I finish a container, even stored at room temperature for a couple weeks. It's fresh and very tasty, and doesn't make me hungrier, the way some products with added sugars/sweeteners can.

I've tried a few other kinds, but freshly grinding it is just so good.

Rainy
mrainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:41 AM   #14  

Height: 5`2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara D View Post
Hi,

I started my committment to natural peanut butter with Smucker's natural creamy peanut butter. I really liked it, but then went to Trader Joe's and saw that the peanut butter was a dollar less. I bought the Trader Joe's and it just didn't seem to taste as good! Has anyone else experienced this with different natural peanut butter brands? Both had just peanuts and salt...how could they taste so different? Am I crazy? Is this mental?

I think I'll finish off the Trader Joe's, but I can't wait to get back to Smucker's.

Hmmm...maybe it's better that I don't like it as much - I probably use less on my bread because of it.
I use almond butter. It tastes much better to me!
Snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:50 PM   #15  

Height: 5'7"

I love peanut butter and usually eat Skippy Natural or Smuckers Natural, but yesterday I bought some freshly ground peanut butter at Central Market. I looked all over the place for some sort of indication as to whether or not they add anything; couldn't find any clues.

Now I'm thinking about doing an experiment with dry roasted, unsalted peanuts and the food processor. I looked and found a lot of recipes, most of which said to add some peanut oil but then others said it was optional. Of course I would be leaving it out. I *might* add a little bit of Smart Balance or Take Control margarine just to add some smoothness. I'll be sure to update if I do this. Meanwhile, I have a little tub of Central Market PB that I have to eat first.
Katpo is offline   Reply With Quote