Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2001, 10:50 AM   #1  
Seeking God's Gold

Angry Graves Disease/Hypothyroidism/Sleep Apnea #2

This thread is for anyone that has Graves Disease/Hypothyroidism/Sleep Apnea. If you have any one of these or all three please come join us here.

Good Morning Pam, Sin Nombre and Everyone Else,

Today in the state of Texas it is showering. But I woke up to a beautiful rainbow and had to smile. Seeing rainbows has always given me hope from God's promises. Today is a good day, I feel renewed and positive that no matter what happens things will be ok.

Good to see you Sin Nombre. Sorry, I didn't realize you lived in or around New York. I'm sure living so close has really been scary. Our prayers go out to you and others.

Hope everyone has a good day!!!!

~Sherry~
Old 09-19-2001, 11:17 AM   #2  

Hello, everyone!. I have hypothyrodism and would like to join you. Just had my meds increased to .150 last week so I'm starting to feel human again. My weight loss has been really slow but it is coming off. Just one of those stick with it and it will happen things.

Our lives are slowly returning to normal, but it's really scarry with the economy going down the tubes. I live in Tidewater Virginia, right in the middle of major military installations. Patriotismis very high here. Our nephew joined the Navy yesterday. Our family has been military for 4 generations now.

It was good to hear the air force jets flying over the weekend.

I usually stick to a low carb diet on the recommendation of the dietician in my doctor's office. Do any of your?
Old 09-25-2001, 03:18 PM   #3  

I too have hypothyroidism and have recently had my levoxyl increased to .15 and I'm still not feeling great. I'm still gaining weight and losing hair.

I am a lifetime WW member who is close to going over goal and very depressed about it. I am back to couting points and daily exercise.

I hope to get some support here since I'm not ready to face the WW group.

Debbie
Old 09-26-2001, 09:42 AM   #4  

Hi, Debbie, and welcome. It can be difficult to adjust to being hypothyrodism. It's taken me a year to get a handle on myself. I lose slowly now but I have learned to adjust and you will too.

If you haven't talked with a dietician, you might want to ... what you eat can definitely have a bearing on getting things under control. Most of us are doing better eating fewer carbs and more low fat protein. Watch out for soy, however. I have done much better since I got her to help me plan and I'm still within my points.

Keep posting!
Old 10-08-2001, 03:26 AM   #5  

Hi.

My sister and mom both have hypothyroidism. I think my aunt and cousins have it too. I'm not sure if I am hypothyroid (gotta work a doctor's appt. around school...), but I have several symptoms of it. We'll see, though.

I'm not really that overweight; I'm at the high end of my ww body/height/weight range, but I feel heavy, and dieting is so hard for me. I can lose about 5-8 lbs and then I just start gaining it back again. It's really discouraging, but I still try to eat healthy and exercise.

Thanks!

andrea
Old 10-09-2001, 10:12 PM   #6  

hi!

i just found this thread. i am borderline hypothyroid which stinks because that means i cant have any meds to help, but yet i still have the same difficulty as all of you. i try as hard as i can to eat lots of protein&stay away from bread, but find it hard esp since i hate veggies. i also have binge eating disorder, and came off a binge today& by the grace of god gained less than half a pound since thurs at the start of my binge.

any help&support is appreciated.
Old 10-10-2001, 10:17 AM   #7  

Have you been to www.thyroid.about.com? You will find a wealth of information that you can use to help yourself. You can learn to like vegetables, it might be the way they are prepared that is making you not like them. You can add them to meatloaf, spaghetti sauce, etc. Be very careful of soy...it aggravates hypothyrodism. You need to eat an abundance of fiber and drink lots of water.

Keep posting...we'll try to help!
Old 10-10-2001, 11:36 AM   #8  

thanks for the info. i will investigate. you guys eat spagetti sauce? fiber??? fiber isnt low carb unless its in low carb veggies, so i dont get much. does anyone have a recipe for low carb meat loaf?
Old 10-22-2001, 05:50 PM   #9  
Ready for a change

Default Greetings

Hi everyone -

An easy way to get fibre is to add flaxmeal to your diet. Buy it whole and grind it yourself or buy it ground. Add a tablespoon to yogurt, cereal or even meatloaf! It has a nice mild nutty flavour. You could just take a spoonfull and mix into water or juice as well.

anyway - I'm also hypothyroid, and just wanted to check in here.

Hang in there!

Old 10-22-2001, 10:30 PM   #10  

greetings all!

just wanted to give an update. as of friday, i was down 2.6 pounds
Old 10-23-2001, 05:56 AM   #11  
Ready for a change

Smile Congrats!

Way to go KD!
Closed Thread