Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-26-2006, 09:26 AM   #1  
jyda730

S/C/G: 162/160/105

Height: 5'1"

Post Hello - This forum is just what I Need

Hello everyone!

I have just joined and am very excited that this forum is available. I hope you will allow me to join. After many years of personal tragedies and issues, I have decided to take control of my life! I am not new to lifting or exercise (I like to run). However, it just seems that my weight is escalating due to non-consistency and perhaps not using the correct weight and reps for my goal of toning and losing weight. I also need to increase my upper body strength, as this seems to help my running which has slowed dramatically (I am even beginning to hate running and I have been doing it since I was 18!). I am incorporating exercise videos and bicycling into my routine. I am a veteran and have been in pretty good health most of my life. As I am getting older, I know my metabolism has slowed and thus it is getting harder to get back in shape.

I love the traditional weight lifting exercises: dead lift, squats,etc. I am trying to incorporate a two-day split with a day of active rest in between training: upper, lower, rest. Even though I have a complete Parabody Machine with the leg press, free weights, a treadmill and a stationary bike in my house, I tried going to a gym (thought having people around would inspire me). I was so self conscious that I stopped going. I even hired a trainer, but didn't feel that she was making me work hard enough.

So, that's why I'm glad I found this forum. After reading many of the posts here, I feel that I can get some real advice and encouragement from women who workout hard and know that we can achieve amazing things!

Thanks for listening and I hope you can help me.
jyda730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:43 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Hello and welcome!

Jump in our LWL thread for weekly chats and usual inspiring stuff!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:42 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hello and welcome! Yes there is lots of encouragement here; everyone is great at reaching out and supporting one another. So glad you found us.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:08 PM   #4  
Mel

Welcome! Glad to have you here

Please don't be self-conscious in a gym! From my experience, everyone is too busy paying attention to themselves to worry about you. You have every right to be there.

If you still have sessions left with the trainer, I'd tell her that she's not working you hard enough. I would sure want to know why I had lost a client, or what I could do to help someone better achieve their goals.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:29 PM   #5  

Height: 5'8.5"

Good message, Mel! I agree... it is hard sometimes not to be self conscious... I feel that way at the pool too... but just "grit my teeth" and get out there and do it!! And it is good to remind yourself that at least you are one of the ones TRYING!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:49 PM   #6  

welcome!!! Please come to our daily thread and check in and don't be shy about joining in! I've been a member of this forum for a long time and sometimes I disappear altogether and then come back and it's always been a safe and supportive place! Welcome!
susanje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:25 AM   #7  
jyda730

S/C/G: 162/160/105

Height: 5'1"

Thanks!

I am really excited about this. I was supposed to start my training on Monday, but I have a very bad case of the flu. While I'm laying in bed, I am devising some training routines and eating plans for upcoming days.
jyda730 is offline   Reply With Quote