Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-25-2006, 01:16 PM   #1  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Default how much is too much?

This is yet another water question for everyone out there. There are so many good reasons to drink water, and plenty of it. Some people say half your body weight in oz, others say drink 64oz+8 oz for each 25 pounds over weight you are. Which seems to be close to the same number for my self so I try to drink 80-100 oz per day. Yesterday and the day before I found my self drinking 140 oz of water, that is over a gallon per day. I just don't want to cause an electrolyte imalance or something like that so how much is too much?
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:28 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

From my understanding, you really shouldn't worry about it. Unless you're chugging an entire gallon all at one time, you're likely fine (barring any kidney or other health problems).

I drink well over a gallon of water on most days (usually about 4 liters by 3pm), and I know some women on here drink over 2 gallons a day. I have yet to hear of it negatively affecting anyone (other than having to run to the bathroom more often ). "Water intoxication" (I think that's what it's called) usually occurs in athletes who drink too much too quickly, not to people who drink their water throughout the day.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Then there are those of us who don't worry much about water at all! Don't get me wrong, I drink it and try to remain hydrated -- it is certainly important! It's just not something I focus on and I probably drink a lot less than many people here...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:05 PM   #4  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Depending on my activity, I average a good 4 liters of liquid per day, and I'm still alive. Unless your doctor tells you otherwise (kidney problems, etc), you should be good with a gallon.

Now, be aware that after a while, if you get used to drinking a lot, it may cause you annoying side-effects if one day you don't drink as much. For instance, if at the end of the day, like 5-6 pm, I've drunk only 1 liter, I start to get headaches and feel cranky and tired. I've only observed this pattern on days when I can't drink enough due to circumstances I have no control over, so it's likely related. But effects may vary from person to person, too.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:57 PM   #5  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the input. I love drinking water, and I always have. I need to get in at least 60 oz before 5pm or I do get a headache, then I drink my remaining 60 oz between 5-10 whilst at work. Suprising enough I don't pee all night, but I also walk at 10pm for 45 minutes after work with a group of co-workers (well most nights).
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:55 PM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Wow! You all are very impressive water drinkers. Most days, it's about all I can do to drink 20 oz of water. I'm just not that thirsty.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:04 PM   #7  
No description available.

I get headaches if I am dehydrated too.

I drink different amounts depending on how dehydrated I am or how much I have exercised. I drink until my pee is very very pale. Then I am hydrated. Dark pee makes me nuts...TMI I am sure, but it makes me nuts when my patients' pee is dark too.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:09 PM   #8  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

Height: 5'3"

Midwife, I agree completely. If my pee isn't pale I HAVE to go guzzle a great big glass of water.
callystia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:28 AM   #9  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

I'm not sure how you all do it. I have trouble even getting in the two litres that 'they' say you should have. I truly have to force it down, as I rarely feel like drinking. Even when I don't drink much I am going to the bathroom constantly, averaging 3 or 4 visits per night as well. I was told that once you drank more, your body would adjust and you wouldn't need to go to the bathroom as often. Well, recently I tried upping my intake LOTS and after 8 weeks, I didn't see a change in the bathroom visits, so I'm not sure how long it is supposed to take to adjust.

In the summer I drink a little more, but certainly still not as much as I should. I DO eat a LOT of fruit and vegetables, so I am wondering whether I get enough fluid from them. I mean a L-O-T of fruit and vegetables.

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:45 AM   #10  

Zelma -- One of the reasons I worry about water less is because I know that there is a lot in the food we eat (esp fruit and veg, soups, etc). Also, it seems that the idea that we need "8 8 oz glasses of water/day" is a difficult one to trace the origin of and may be one of those "urban legends." See:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

Some have tried to trace the original statement, and the doctor who may have made it spoke of liquids more generally and said that coffee etc could count toward hydration. In other words, yes, we need hydration, but that can come in many forms.

Please don't think I'm being anti-water. I'm not. It's VERY important to stay hydrated!

I think for a lot of people, water helps keep them full, provides a goal, etc. It's hard to overdo it, and does have tons of benefits! So why not drink if you're so inclined?

But if you don't want to focus on it, and are keeping hydrated, I think that's fine too.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:01 AM   #11  

Height: 5'8.5"

I also drink huge amounts of water. I have always drank a lot because I like water... but now I intentionally guzzle it by the liter. LOL I too go drink more if my pee is not pale enough. I can tell a big difference when I don't drink as much. Actually I start my day with fresh lemon juice in 32 oz of warm water.

Regardless of whether or not it is "urban legend" as to how much it helps I can definitely say I FEEL a lot better when I drink it AND I don't get nearly as hungry. So in this case (and since I know it is nothing harmful for me) even if it is "all in my head" I don't care, as long as it works!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:58 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 180/154/140

Height: 5'7

I don't focus on water either. I drink it through an 8 hr shift at work, mainly because it's cheaper, and because 'some' of the supervisors are enforcing the 'water only up front' rule. Usually around 20-40 oz in a night...other than that, I have to MAKE myself drink it at home.

It's good for you...but I have heard of it washing out electrolytes and blah blah blah. How authentic THAT is....NO idea! My mom drinks water only and she's not washed out anything...lol.

Yeah, the pee thing...I can tell by my urine how well I've been drinking. Alot of sodas make my urine very dark....

Kim
OneKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:35 PM   #13  

Quote:
Regardless of whether or not it is "urban legend" as to how much it helps I can definitely say I FEEL a lot better when I drink it AND I don't get nearly as hungry. So in this case (and since I know it is nothing harmful for me) even if it is "all in my head" I don't care, as long as it works!
Misti -- You nailed it. I think if water works for you, do it! I just think that sometimes there are people here who think they HAVE to drink it or that they're a failure at this if they don't, and I want to let them know that may not be the case!
Old 09-26-2006, 11:39 PM   #14  
LLV

I drink water when I'm thirsty, lol.

Seriously, I don't 'force' myself to drink more water than I want. I love my ice water and always have a glass of it hanging around somewhere. In fact it's the first thing I do when I get up in the morning after brushing my teeth and washing my face and all that fun stuff - I go get a big glass of ice water and I fill it all day long. Usually I just sip at it. I keep it handy for when I'm wanting a drink of it. But I don't force myself to drink more than I feel like having. Some days I have quite a bit, other days I don't drink much at all.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:30 AM   #15  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I don't know if this water thing is a urban legend, or if it's based off serious facts. I remember having read once (can't remember where, though) something along the lines of "Americans nowadays often think they're hungry, when in fact it's thirst, and since they can't tell it from hunger, they eat when they should drink instead". I'm sure it's worth for people from other countries as well, of course, it just must've been written by a person in the US, is all. But maybe it could explain that bit of encouraging people to drink this-and-that quantity per day.

Me, I've always been a big drinker, so I know this is not "my" excuse.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote