Old 09-23-2006, 11:40 AM   #1  

Default 20-somethings recipes!

I know there are a bunch of other places in these forums to share recipes, but I'm interested in knowing what you guys like to cook! Lets share some healthy recipes... I'm looking for new things to do in the kitchen and want to experiment. Kudos to recipes that are easy, fast, and healthy!!

Here's one of my favorite ways to make chicken. I have ALWAYS gotten rave reviews when I make it. It's very, very easy.

GINGER-LIME CHICKEN

prep time: 5 minutes
cooking time: 14 minutes
makes: 4 servings

1 tbsp butter
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 lime
2 tbsp liquid honey
2 tsp minced bottled ginger or 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
pinches of salt and ground black pepper
optional green onion for garnish

1. Melt butter in large, non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. (You might think you could skip it to save on fat/cals, but I don't recommend it... your chicken won't look as pretty if you do. It's only a little!) When butter is bubbly, add chicken. Cook until golden brown, 3 min. per side.

2. Meanwhile, squeeze juice from half a lime into a small bowl (I usually use the whole lime). Stir in honey, ginger, salt, and pepper. When chicken is golden, pour honey mixture overtop. Reduce heat to low.

3. Cover and simmer, turning chicken occasionally, until springy when pressed, 8 to 10 minutes.

Nutritional info:
211 cals; 5.1 g fat; 30.5 g protein; 9.9 g carb

adapted from Chatelaine magazine

Now let's see some of yours.... please?
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:16 PM   #2  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

When I have a bit of time, I make portobello mushroom burgers for lunch.

Sautee the mushroom in olive oil with some chopped garlic, couple minutes each side. Melt one slice of provolone or swiss cheese onto the mushroom for a minute or two. Serve on whole-wheat hamburger buns with lettuce, avocado, or tomato. It's quite good, really.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 05:49 PM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

heh, I'd like to preface this with an important statement: I hate to cook

That said, I love anything that I can make a big batch of and then separate into smaller containers and just toss in the fridge or freezer for later in the week (or month...).

The crock pot has become my new best friend. I got mine for free as a hand-me-down from a friend who got a new one. You don't need a fancy one--the cheapest one at Wal-mart works just as well as the $300 one And if you're really lazy, you can even buy the crock pot liners now so you don't have to wash it out afterwards (though I just toss mine in the dishwasher).

Some "recipes" I like (I say "recipes" with quotes because I don't measure anything, just kind of throw in however much I feel like using):
  • cut up chicken breast, salsa, reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese, chicken broth, top with ff sour cream
  • chopped up potatoes, ff half and half, turkey sausage (I peel off the casing so it's kinda like ground beef in texture), frozen corn, chicken broth (if needed for texture)
  • turkey meatballs with chili sauce and grape jelly (about equal amounts of each)
  • chicken broth, frozen corn, salsa, black beans, cabbage (yeah, I just use pre-shredded coleslaw mix ), ff cream cheese
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

* Gnocchi with homemade tomato pasta sauce
* Pizza - homemade from the base up
* Roasted vegies
* Ratatoullie
* Kangaroo steak with grilled polenta wedges
* Homemade potato wedges
* Mixed legume and beetroot salad
* "The mega salad" - lettuce, capsicum, cucumber, tomato, olives, sundried tomato, feta, onion, etc etc
* Homemade soups - potato & leek, pea & ham, vegetable & lentil
* Chicken caccatorie (can never spell it!)

I could go on but i'd best stop lol

...I just luuuurve to cook!

Livi
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:28 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
[*]chopped up potatoes, ff half and half, turkey sausage (I peel off the casing so it's kinda like ground beef in texture), frozen corn, chicken broth (if needed for texture)
does that make kind of a chowder/soup thing? it sounds really, really good! would you throw the potatoes in a food processor or something to make them creamy (assuming it's a soup)? hmmm.... i think i'll try this one!

Here's a soup I just made that I loved:

Roasted Chicken and Corn Chowder

4 slices chopped bacon
1 c diced onion
1/2 c each diced celery and red bell pepper
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp thyme
2 tbsp flour
1.5 c ff broth
12 oz ff evaporated milk
19 oz/1 can diced tomatoes, well drained
1 c corn
2 c chopped roasted chicken breast*
1 tbsp hickory bbq sauce
salt and pepper

*buy a rotisserie chicken from the grocery and use the breast for this, then eat the rest at other meals. makes it faster!

Cook veggies and bacon until veggies are soft, 5 mins or so.
Add thyme and flour, stir in broth and milk. Bring to boil and stir until it thickens a bit.
Put the rest of it in, let simmer 10 mins, eat!

A little more complicated than your recipe but it makes a reallllly good low-fat soup.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:41 PM   #6  
back at it

S/C/G: 178/175/145

Height: 5'8"

Turkey meatloaf is a staple in my house:

1 lb. ground turkey 7% fat
2 eggs
1 cup italian seasoned breadcrumbs (if you make your own just add the spices)
1/4 cup ketchup
1 - 1 1/2 cups shreaded veg (carrot or zucchini works great)
1/2 chopped onion (optional)

just mix everything together and form into loaf or flat round circle and cook on med-low covered on the stovetop in a nonstick pan (no butter or oil needed), flipping once when turkey is halfway cooked.
denice81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:43 PM   #7  
Proud US Navy Wife

Here's something my father taught me how to make that I absolutely love... it's a kind of relish that has next to no calories, and it's really yummy (i think so) and super easy! No measurements though.. it depends on how much you make! (although it is a bit time-consuming...)

Onion(s) (preferably Vadalia)
Basalmic Vinegar
Pam
Sweet-n-Low / Splenda (if not using Vadalia onions)

Spray a pot with Pam, chop onions into medium size pieces and sweat (cook on extreamly low temp) until soft. (there should be a fair amount of liquid in the pot from the onions.. at least there is when using Vadalias, I havent tried making it with other kinds) When the onions are soft and translucent, add Basalmic Vinegar until the onions are covered, continue to cook on low temp until it's thick. While cooking, add sweetener (if Vadalia's aren't used) to counteract the bitterness of the onions and vinegar... how much I suppose depends on your personal taste!

I made a large batch of this about 2 months ago, and I'm almost out of it... I love this stuff!
FaeReverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:53 PM   #8  

that sounds very.... strange, Fae! what do you put it on? please don't tell me you just spoon it into your mouth!
Old 09-23-2006, 11:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Fae & Brit - That sounds a lot like caramelised onions - they're really good. You can serve with them with most anything, it goes very very well with steak and on homemade burgers and things. You can even put them on little rice crackers for a snack or use it on sandwiches etc.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:30 AM   #10  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I love to cook (especially with butter... which may be why I'm in this predicament now...). One of my favourites is stuffed bell peppers (sorry, I'm not a measurer, either, so I'll just list the ingredients):
Preheat oven to 350
Hollow out 4 peppers
Cook couscous in chicken broth
Saute onions, cherry tomatoes, corn, and spinach with smashed garlic in some olive oil - probably about 5 minutes - until the spinahc is wilted and the onions brown.
Mix all this in with the couscous, and stir in some shredded mozzarella (about 2 tbsp for each pepper).
While you're doing all this, roast the peppers for about 10 minutes on their own, b/c peppers take a long time to cook through in the oven .
Take the peppers out and fill them with the couscous mixture; sprinkle a little cheese on top, and pop them back in the oven for 25 minutes.

They're super tasty, and rather pretty, too!
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:21 AM   #11  
Proud US Navy Wife

Brit - I know, when my dad told me about it I was thinking the same thing, and then he insisted on making it for me.... and then I loved it! And like Lyria said, I usually use it on sandwiches, hot dogs, etc.
FaeReverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:33 AM   #12  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

brit--I keep the potatoes in bite-size chunks so it's chunky, but if you prefer creamier, I guess you could basically use some runny mashed potatoes

mmm...that onion recipe sounds good!

I think I'm going to try making some veggies in the crock pot today just to have on hand throughout the week as a side with meals. I went to Wegman's for the first time yesterday (HUGE grocery store with a gigantic variety of foods--I was almost overwhelmed! ), and I bought some fresh "baby" veggies. It was the cutest thing--they had a whole section of baby veggies including baby squashes and baby zucchinis. I bought some yellow and green French beans (they looked kinda like string beans, so I hope they're good), some baby corn, and some snow peas, and I'm thinking of cooking it all up with some chopped onion (here's how lazy I am--I buy a bag of frozen chopped onion and just use it as needed from the freezer
), some crushed garlic, some macadmia nut oil, some Mrs. Dash, and some light parmesan cheese. Oh, and maybe some of the "butter buds" for extra flavor. On second thought, this might be better made in the wok instead of the crock pot...see, this is how I cook--figure it out as I go along

Anyone else have any suggestion of what to add to make a yummy flavorful veggie mix (keeping in mind I add as much as I possibly can because I don't actually like veggies )?
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:27 AM   #13  

mmm, baby sqash and baby zucchini are really really good. they have almost no seeds and are really tender. as for veggie flavors... i really like lemon juice and garlic on just about everything.

and those bell peppers sound yummy... do you have to cut at the bottoms or anything to get them to stand upright? or does it matter if they stand up?
Old 09-24-2006, 01:38 PM   #14  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

I tend to use shoyu (soy sauce) on veggies when cooking them. Personal taste - I was raised with very Hawaiian-inspired foods since my dad's from there, and they use shoyu a lot.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:04 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 262/244/160

Height: 5'4"

I know it's not exactly summer anymore, but if the weather is still nice like it is in california, you have to grill some asparagus.

boil it in some water for a few minutes until they're bright green then put it under cold water to stop the cooking. put it in a veggie basket with some olive oil to coat it, then grill until it's carmelized. after that sprinkle with salt and pepper and squeeze some lime onto it.

we just tried it for the first time last week and now we want it all the time. i suppose if you don't have a grill, you can always stick it in the oven and broil it or something.
ayla84 is offline   Reply With Quote