Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-18-2006, 09:23 PM   #1  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Restrictive diets...

So I've never been much of a one for "charted" diets - you know, where the meal plan is laid out for you and the "okay" foods are all on a list and you're supposed to stick with it exactly? I hate those. I watch my intake myself, and eat what I like, thank you very much.

But I agreed to do a 4-week program with my housemate, to support her. I'm kind of getting irritated by it, though...and I don't want to "down" her over it, but I hate feeling like I'm "cheating" by eating stuff that's not "on program".

Ugh.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I can totally relate. When I went to look for a gym to join, this one was telling me I could get on their diet plan. It listed foods you were allowed to eat and foods you weren't. I can't live like that. And I don't need someone telling me what to eat and what not to eat! I mean, DUH, I know what I should be eating and what I shouldn't be eating. But, I am much likely to stick with this and do this as a lifestyle if I have freedom. If I feel like a treat, I simply fit it into my calories for the day. I'm not sure if everyone would agree with that but so far, it's working for me, and more importantly, no binges which are my major downfall.

If the program is not working for you I think you should go back to what does work for you - I'm sure your housemate would understand it's important for you to do what works (and it's different for everyone!)
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Which plan are you on, Nik?

I'm doing south beach with my roomie, and I'm really glad that we are doing it together. I've never dieted with someone I live before, so this is something new but it is nice to have someone else with me.
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #4  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

I agree w/ you, Nikaia and Liz. Any "plan" that has "good/allowed/free" foods and "bad/restricted/banned" foods is not the plan for me. I don't even think it's healthy or helpful to label foods as "good" and "bad." Anyway, the moment I feel there are any artificial restrictions on my food choices, I rebel and binge (sounds like you can relate, Liz).

If I were in your position, Nikaia, I'd have a hard time choosing b/t what's best for myself and keeping my word/being a good friend (which is very important to me). Since we often have to make choices in our weight loss journey that others don't like or understand, maybe this is an opportunity for you to put yourself first and assert your right to eat as you please. Everyone has to follow a plan that works for them and forcing yourself to follow one that doesn't work for you is not really a good example for your housemate, is it?

Last edited by BreakingFree; 09-20-2006 at 10:04 AM.
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:02 PM   #5  
Resident Witchling

I think I've got it sorted. I talked to A (my housemate) yesterday and explained that, while I'm totally willing to help her out and to eat the same meals with her, I'm not going to completely restrict myself to what's allowed on that plan. The plan, by the way, is Denise Austin's "Lose Those Last Ten Pounds". She likes being able to remind me about stuff, because it's her way of reminding herself. And I've told her I'm fine with that, but that I may or may not listen depending on what I'm actually in the mood for. So I think we're okay.

I think part of it is the difference between our mindsets. She's a strict-diet-then-"celebrate"-afterward type - I prefer to incorporate healthier eating into my life overall, without there being an "end date" to it.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:32 AM   #6  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Looks like the good foods/bad foods doesn't work well for everyone, eh. What can I say, I tend to have problems with this as well. The whole psychological mindset of "if I'm forbidden to have it, I will crave it".

Good thing that you could have it sorted. If it had gone on and made you all cranky about it, it wouldn't have been a good thing now, would it.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 03:06 PM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I'm pretty much the opposite, I do best when I have a list of allowable foods and stick to it. Making my own choices didn't work well for me. I was bad to "stretch the limits". I need a structured plan. Many others don't. I always believe in the "do whatever works for you" philosophy.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:40 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'm with you about do what works best, lilybelle. I've tried it both ways, and both ways have advantages and disadvantages. Right now I'm using the FitDay program, and I don't have any forbidden foods--but I do list everything I eat, and I can clearly see how many calories I'm up to.

Glad that you had that talk with your roommate, Nikaia. Best thing to do is sort it out so each of you is OK with it.

Weight loss is about restriction. I wish that weren't true, but for me it seems to be the case. Eat less, exercise more. And that's about it.

Cheers!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:49 AM   #9  
Resident Witchling

Thank you all for your inputs. It helps to have like-minded souls to talk to!
Old 09-21-2006, 02:16 PM   #10  
hara hachi bu

IMO, our food choices/needs are so personal that I find it hard to follow the same 'diet' as anyone else. What works for me (and this isn't my idea, I read about it in an article somewhere) is to think of foods not as "bad" or "good" but to think of them as "red", "yellow" or "green" foods. A "red" food is something that is obviously not going to get you to goal fast (like, say, tiramisu?). A "green" food will be something that WILL get you to goal fast (broccoli). While reds aren't forbidden, eating a regular diet of them will stop weight loss.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #11  
Resident Witchling

That's an interesting scale system, Phantastica. I kinda like it.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:58 AM   #12  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Me too--that makes sense!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote