General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 05:45 PM   #1  
Addicted to potato salad!

Default Should I Charge for Lessons?

My kids go to a very remote school. There are about 80 or so kids in each grade level (give or take). They have a small marching band that is VERY good. My daughter plays clarinet in it. BUT, they have no color guard or baton twirlers or a drum majorette. They place first in all competitions on band quality, but place last in the categories that involve these elements, including overall band presentation. They are all middle schoolers (for some reason (I suspect teacher politics ) the high schoolers think marching band is taboo) and are too small for the cool band uniforms, so they all wear blue golf-type shirts with khaki shorts.

Anyhow...

When I was in school, I took baton lessons and always thought I was terrible. We had a huge school, with more like 475 kids in each grade level, and the competition to get into the twirling squad was really tough and I didn't make the cut. So, I was at band competitions with my daughter this summer and only one marching band had twirlers (they all had color guard with the flags) and the routine they had was so totally simple and basic. I could teach some girls the basics of baton (we won't need to do the spinning elbow rolls and spinners and half spinners and really complicated things like illusions that they did in my marching band) and add a little glitz to our marching band with no problem whatsoever!

My question is...the band leader says I should charge for baton lessons. My husband thinks I'm not good enough to charge and should do it for free. Of course, my time workign with the marching band would be volunteer, but to teach the girls the talent of baton twirling, do you think I should charge for lessons? I'm thinking maybe $20 a month, but I'm also thinking that if I charge then some girls that may not be able to pay at all (we have some very poor families here) will not take the lessons and miss out. My main objective is to get some girls to learn how to twirl baton and to add glitz to the marching band...not to make a job out of it. So, I'm leaning toward not charging. BUT, I dont' want to step on any toes or whatever.

What do you guys think?

Kris
Old 09-18-2006, 06:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

I'm not quite sure HOW good you are, but maybe charge like $5 per lesson. It's cheap... but you're still getting a little something out of it. Or, group lessons could be free.. but if someone needs a little extra attention, you could charge extra for a private lesson.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:04 PM   #3  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Is it going to cost you anything to teach them? If the answer is no, then I would say no. You already siad you are working volunteer with the band - so really isn't this part of the band?

And how many lessons do these girls need? Couldnt u just get a bunch in a ground and do 2 or 3 lessons for them all at once? If they want individual lessons then maybe charge... but could you just do it with them during a practice at the school or something?

I dunno, my two cents.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:18 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwife View Post
My main objective is to get some girls to learn how to twirl baton and to add glitz to the marching band...not to make a job out of it. So, I'm leaning toward not charging. BUT, I dont' want to step on any toes or whatever.What do you guys think?Kris
I think this answered your question for me- no, I don't think you should charge at the moment. As someone who teaches flute to school age children (privately), a classically trained musician at the collegiate level and a former giant "band geek", I think someone with the qualifications you have listed should not charge at this point and time. I think you should first feel it out by working with them to at least get your bearings back. If you feel like you have something to offer after that trial period, by all means set up a price scale. The standard for private lessons on just about anything is $1 a minute, but you should also consider the low-income students as well and group instruction, too.

Also, I remember the instructors would never charge for instruction outside of class time during the school year, only if the student opted for it during the summer. I think you should feel it out first- I think you would really enjoy it whether or not you charged, but that's up to you
Old 09-18-2006, 06:34 PM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I have two considerations you might not have thought about:

1. If you charge for the lessons, you're going to have to report the income on your tax return and pay self-employment tax on it. There is no de minimus amount of income that you would not have to report or pay tax on. This means completing the full 1040 (if you don't already) and completing schedules C-EZ and SE at the federal level and probably another schedule or two at the state level (if you have a state income tax). This is a hassle that's probably not worth it for the small amount of income you are talking about. It also means that, after taxes, you only get to keep 60% to 70% of what you are charging (making it an even smaller amount of income).

2. On the other hand, people take things they pay for more seriously. If you don't charge for the lessons, parents may be somewhat lax about making sure their kids actually show up for them. It sounds like you would be traveling quite a distance to give these lessons; it would be annoying if the kids didn't show up without notifying you in advance. One solution might be to have the parents pay the school or the band for the lessons. You wouldn't be receiving income, so you wouldn't have to report or pay tax on it, but the parents would take the lessons more seriously. An alternative solution might be to make the parents make some sort of donation to the band or school (or a charity) if their kids miss a lesson without notifying you in advance. Again, no income for you to report or pay tax on, but would hopefully make the parents take the lessons seriously.

- Barbara
Old 09-18-2006, 06:46 PM   #6  
Addicted to potato salad!

I'm thinking I won't charge, either...BUT, when I borrowed a baton from one of the Heuvelton girls (they were very nice) to show some of the kids in our band, the Heuvelton girls said, "Wow! You're better than US!" But as for the Twilrers where I went, I was technically good at it, but I lacked any sense of confidence in standing in front of our entire school during half-time at the football games and twirl...and when they had try-outs, standing in front of the judges, I nearly cried I was so nervous and I dropped a dozen or so times. I needed a 69 to get in and I got a 65. To get to try-outs, I took a year of baton lessons and that's what I'm wanting to get started, lessons to teach the basic skill of twirling, to give them the talent. You definitely need more than a couple lessons...I went every friday for a year. But I'm thinkign of having it every Friday after school in a group setting. Then slacking off after the first of the year to a couple times a month. And then when marching band starts up again in the summer, I'llhave a gaggle of girls that can be in front of the band. One thing is for sure, Junebug, one important lesson I'll teach the girls is that they are NOT better than the band. That used to irk me to no end...I ended up a back-up twirler and went on trips with the band if they needed me (funny...they never did!) and the Twirlers definitely had an air about them that the marching band wouldn't be anything without them. It's such a group team, etc. It's a whole package. That attitude with the twirlers made me glad I didn't make it.

BUT, I'd be sooo thrilled to be part of this marching band. I can do, no problem, spinners (where you thumb toss the baton and then spin around, then catch it - the twirlers when I was young were doing double and triple spinners), half spinners (catching it behind your back), wheels, flashbacks, finger twirls, both horizontal and vertical, double elbow rolls (but I can't do that thing where you do continuous elbow rolls while spinning around in circles). So, I'm no expert, but I can impress the pants off people that watch me...except my husband. He just wants me to wear the crushed velvet suits around the house when the kids go to grammas.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Out of the goodness of your heart you should offer a free clinic to those interested in learning baton (IMHO). I have a soft spot for marching bands (my DH has been in marching band all of middle school and high school--playing a myriad of instruments--she intends to get her degree in music education). Being that you say there are a lot of poor families, perhaps a free clinic will get more kids involved in the flag squad--ones that may not be able to get involved otherwise due to money situations.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:31 PM   #8  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwife View Post

One thing is for sure, Junebug, one important lesson I'll teach the girls is that they are NOT better than the band.

~~~My kids played varsity sports at a high school of 4,000...I would always see how hard the band worked, along with our huge pagentry team, when I picked them up from thir sports practices. You are so right, they are NOT better than the band....only the football team is ~~~

watch me...wear the crushed velvet suits around the house when the kids go to grammas.
Promises ~ Promises!

Personally, I was a big time volunteer for my kids activities. My wife and son are both teachers, my son is a track coach at the high school he teaches at also. I know how much parent help (GOOD PARENT HELP!) is needed.

I suggest start at the volunteer position, then after you have knocked down several STATE titles go private and charge the BIG $$$$$$$$$
Old 09-18-2006, 10:22 PM   #9  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Im always all for parents helping out with their kids school activities. Believe me I wish my son's school had a few more,,,would make my job easier,,,Im the volunteer volunteer cordinator...lol
I just think of how 10-20 years from now those kids will remember you helping them learn something that is pretty cool.
Closed Thread