Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-16-2006, 08:53 PM   #1  
Shar

S/C/G: 280/149/140

Default From the Horses Mouth

Yes ladies, as my wonderful hubby said, I'm home, again, and for now. (fingers crossed). I know he keeps ya'll posted on my condition and I really love him for that. I know he also gets to vent a bit to people that understand what's going on in our life... if not understand then can be compassionate to our situation. I just wanted to thank each and everyone of you that keep praying and sending good thoughts our way. It's been such a long road.... of course I thought it would only be a 2 week recovery, never imagined it would be almost 6 months later and 12 surgeries later and I've only begun to have clear liquids again. I don't know how much weight I've lost as of now... I'm sure it's more than the 86 I've got in my siggy but the don't weigh you like they're supposed to at the hospital. I don't feel like I've lost an ounce. With all the pain I'm in now, I feel like I should've just NOT done the bypass and delt with my existing physical issues/pains that I had before. At least I could SLEEP then, and I could enjoy going to the movies and such... now just sitting in this chair is putting so much strain on my lower abdomen that I'm about to get offline... but not until I'm finished here... 'suck it up and press on' (that's an Air Force saying) So if you ask me now if it was worth it I would tell you no. I would also NEVER try to talk anyone OUT of having the surgery either. I know people that have had so many benefits from having their proceedure. Who have lovely, wonderful and happy lives that they didn't have before surgery. I would just tell my story and they can take it as they wish. When they hand you that list of possible complications.... know that you can have one, or none... OR you can have them ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! You really do have to consider that. As for my surgerons list of possible complications, I have had then all but death, and believe me I've even wished for that one. When you dry heave enough to tear out your second level sitches and have to undergo yet another surgery to FIX that... knowing that you're gonna end up in the ICU and be in all the horrible pain you just got over, even dying seems like an option. I have given up faith that I will ever be 'normal' again. One of my awesome nurses confided in me that my surgeon and she were talking about me and he's admitted to her that I will prolly live with chronic pain for the rest of my life from all of the proceedures. He also suspects 'lots of other complications later on' but he won't warn me of them so I don't LOOK for them. I dunno if I like this or not yet. I guess not knowing and just dealing with the day to day stuff is enough for now. But I'd like to know what MAJOR thing's I could have down the line when I don't live here anymore, and he's not my surgeon (cause I'm military and we move around alot I don't have a 'regular' dr.)

Good things: My incision is healing well and only hurts when I'm having a dry heaving episode. I'm home with my DH and 4 legged babies, and can actually lay in my own bed again. I can sip on some clear liquids, cold ones anyway, even if I heave afterward. Lastly, I'm not going through this alone. I have the support of my family in California, especially my momma, my DH, my awesome nurses who have gone way above and beyond their 'job' and have become some of my friends. And all of you here. I know if I ever need an ear to hear me, you will always be here.

HUGS<
Sharmel

P.S. funny note, one of my nurses, APRIL (grin) has come here to check up on me when I'm not in the hospital. She chastised me yesterday before coming home for calling my hubby a (Dont' mean to offend) 'dickhead' all the time when He's been so awesome to me over the past few months. I looked at her like she was crazy and asked her where she got that. She said, you call him 'DH' all the time, and that's just not nice. I laughed my butt off.... then told the unsavy computer lingo nurse that it ment Dear Husband. Boy did she turn RED!!!! Yep April, I outed you on the internet, I hope you're not too mad, or embarassed... I mean it's not like I posted your phone # or anything HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

~Sharmel
USAFwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 277/134/140

Height: 5'4"

A GREAT BIG HUG to Shar !! You are in my thoughts and prayers. I know it's got to be hard to keep a positive outlook right now but we'll do it for you. Hang in there !! Much love and peace to you.
magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

Great to see you online! Hang in there and know we're thinking of you and pulling for you!
kfs151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:29 PM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Sharmel, I know you don't know me but I've read your posts and your husband's posts and just want to tell you that you've been in my thoughts and prayers and I will continue to send them your way. It sounds like you have been through so much, but so many of us here that you don't know, are pulling for you. I just wanted to let you know it.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 05:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Shar - I often think of your story and have come to the same conclusion as you. I wouldn't talk anyone out of it either, but your story has been a real eye-opener (you and Hubs). I just tell people to do their research and to specifically find a wls forum where they can talk to real people who have had it done all over the world. I can sure understand how you're feeling right about now. I'm glad you feel so supported irl, and of course, from all of us. Keep up the good work and hang tough!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:45 PM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

HEY ITS SHARMEL !!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOT

I'm so glad your home and starting to recover, I pray this is the last surgery you'll have to face and that things turn around for you. My stars you've been thru enuf !!!!! Your DH is a peach to come here and let us know what was going on... he's a keeper thats for sure.

We're here for you

Welcome Home !!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 234

Height: 5'6"

Hello SHARMEL You don't know me and I really don't think anyone knows me on the board But I have been reading about you since you went into for WLS. I was thinking of doing it myself but I decided not to. I have cryed with the post that your DH has posted and prayed for you every step of the way. My prayers will be with you and your DH. Renee
babypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:37 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Sharmel,

I've been following your story and hubs as well. My heart goes out to both of you. Obviously surgery is a very personal decision for those that decide to undertake it and it does have its risks. Although I never considered WLS too seriously, I never really understood the risks and dangers of surgery in general until reading both of your stories. I thought it might be a given when I get around my goal weight that I'd have surgery to remove excess skin, but now I am thinking twice about it. It would really depend on what happens when I get there and it won't be for a while anyway. Your story has touched our hearts and it has helped me at least understand what someone can go through due to surgery. I do wish you the best and I hope soon that all your suffering will be a distant memory.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:24 AM   #9  
Old Cackler

Shar - seeing you post for yourself [even though eric is now a permanent honorary member of this group!!!!] was the best thing i could hope to see!!!! the horrors that you've endured are astonishing, and you've kept your attitude and your hope alive, along with that body of yours

your story ranks right up there with several others - like debkay's 10 week coma, and my friend who had to have it reversed because of so many serious complications.

it's been said that people only post happy stories online - and i've never understood why that is. it's ESSENTIAL that people know that the list of complications that the docs tell us about IS REAL!!! THEY HAPPEN!!!!! TO REAL PEOPLE!!!!

and we all have to make an informed, PERSONAL decision, one that takes into consideration the risks as well as the benefits.

fortunately, far more people have easier rides than you have had, but that doesn't mean that the next person won't hit the same bumps - or worse.

so, in the middle of all your pain, thank you for keeping up with posting your truth.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:46 AM   #10  

Hey Shar, it is so good to read your post. I hope for all the best for you. Surgery is definitely not for everyone. I wish we had a crystal ball to find out exactly who so what is happening to you wouldn't be happening. I'm still praying for you.
invisigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:25 AM   #11  

I'm another that has been following your surgery and praying for you and sending happy thoughts you and your hubby's way.

I am so sorry that this has happened and that you have had such a difficult time.

I hope that you have turned a corner now. I am so glad you still have your humour, your nurse's reaction to DH made me giggle! (having said that there are times I have typed DH in relation to my Col and have meant it the mean way!!!)
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:59 AM   #12  

Oh Shar, I'm so happy that you are home! I have been thinking about you too, and praying for you. You have been through so much that I hope that worst is behind you, and each and every day from now on you just keep getting better and stronger.

PS: Every time I see DH typed now, I am going to think of your story about April!
Hey Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:59 AM   #13  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Hey Sharmel - I've been reading a couple of updates and I just want to say, you are one lucky gal - your DH is amazing

I'm so glad you're at home, and I hope everything goes well for you.

Lots of healing thoughts and fairy dust
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:35 PM   #14  
No description available.

So glad you are HOME, Shar! I continue to think of you and your DH (also laughed at April's interpretation) and pray for your continued recovery.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:38 PM   #15  
61.25 POUNDS GONE!!!!

S/C/G: 329/266.75/190

Height: 5'7"

Talking

Sharmel

You don't know me either but I have been following your story and reading the posts from your DH. I am so glad you are home now! Congratulations!!

Scooter
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote