General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 04:09 PM   #1  
1st baby due 3/1/07!!!

S/C/G: 150/158/135

Height: 5.3

Default Taking a fiver

So how do you break up the monotony of work? I sneak over here whenever I can, check out gossip on line, watch funny videos etc. What keeps you entertained?
Old 09-14-2006, 05:50 PM   #2  

I check in on this site like every 20 minutes, or I go to ebay and read the message boards (hilarious stuff--the problems people have there with transactions) or I go online and buy clothes. Lotsa clothes. Macy's, Newport News, Target, JCPenneys, you name it....they love me to pieces.

Someday I'm gonna get in trouble from this. I don't care. It keeps me sane, and sanity is a very rare commodity around my office....so I think they will keep me.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:20 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Maybe your job isn't suited for you? If you are so bored that you try to distract yourself from work, maybe you should think about getting a different job.

You might also want to consider doing things that would increase your skills or knowledge. I do look at message boards but I also at ways to increase my knowledge and skills.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:27 PM   #4  
Can't wait 2 be a goddess

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/165

Height: 5'8

OHHHHH MY well I always have 3fc open i also go to e-bay read the news etc
Old 09-14-2006, 09:36 PM   #5  
mom2cole

I unfortunately work retail so I don't have a desk or a computer. But I do walk around 6-8 miles a day (per pedometer) so I don't feel too bad if I don't get to exercise more when I get home. I get to talk to anybody who is shopping and I usually have fun working. Hours are great but pay, not so. I work there so I don't have to pay daycare which would run about 5 to 6/hr for two boys. So If I factor that in not too bad.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:23 PM   #6  
1st baby due 3/1/07!!!

S/C/G: 150/158/135

Height: 5.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Maybe your job isn't suited for you? If you are so bored that you try to distract yourself from work, maybe you should think about getting a different job.

You might also want to consider doing things that would increase your skills or knowledge. I do look at message boards but I also at ways to increase my knowledge and skills.
It's not that my job bores me, I love my job but every now and then it's nice to just take a break and focus on something else.

Sometimes I'll just go outside for some fresh air and othertimes I come online to the boards or read CNN or watch a quick funny video.

I know a lot of people that do this, the guys in my office will take a few minutes here and there to check in on sports, fantasy leagues, etc.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:28 PM   #7  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post

I don't think thats it at all. I love my job; I ADORE my job. And I spent just as much time browsing around the internet as I do working. I get my work done and thats all that matters.

I come here, woofboard.com (boston terrier board), sometimes I work on Keiko's website or all around surf the net! I try not to do too much online spending but I am always broke. Sometimes I go for a walk to the pet store, shoppers drug mart, the dollar store... I just need a break to keep me going.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:25 PM   #8  

I stop for a pee break, or to grab a drink and walk a few minutes.

I drive- so it's never really THAT bad (unless I'm stuck in traffic for an extended period of time!)
Old 09-15-2006, 04:48 PM   #9  
Just Me

I agree that people need breaks but if someone is constantly looking for excuses to take a break, then it may be that they are bored with their job. It depends Some days I'm bored with my job, other days I really like it.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:56 PM   #10  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

What is that old saying, "All work and no play?" I do my work and I have some free time on my hands because I work 3rd shift. Where as I don't surf the net I do read books and magazines and they aren't all technical or work related. I don't see where it says to do ALL work and not to enjoy yourself? If you can't work and enjoy yourself then whats the use? Life is short, enjoy it.............. Just my humble opinion........
Old 09-15-2006, 05:04 PM   #11  
Just Me

Sassy,

What about enjoying the work you do? I mean I know a lot of people are unhappy with their jobs so they look for distractions. My point of view is that you should enjoy your job and if you don't, maybe it isn't the right job for you. Life is too short to have a job that you don't like
Old 09-15-2006, 05:46 PM   #12  

How long have you been in the workforce Nelie? I've been working 36 years...all thru high school and all through four years of college. And if I didn't like my profession, I wouldn't be doing it~ After 36 years, if I want to take a few or even fifteen "fivers" during the workday, doggone it, I am gonna! I am paid very well for what I do, so obviously I know what I am doing.

To tell you the truth, when I read your comment last night, I was a bit peeved as you assumed that anyone that takes breaks during the workday obviously doesn't have enough skills or education to have a "fulfilling" job, and they are bored. To the contrary, I think maybe some of us are so good at our jobs that we have the luxury of taking the "fivers". I work with people who not only went to college for four years, but then went to grad school and beyond, and you know what? They are ALL in the fantasy football league. And they are taking a lot more "fivers" than me!!!
Old 09-15-2006, 09:00 PM   #13  

Height: 5'8.5"

What about doing the work people are paying you to do, whether or not you "enjoy" it? Just a thought.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:20 PM   #14  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbugs View Post
To tell you the truth, when I read your comment last night, I was a bit peeved as you assumed that anyone that takes breaks during the workday obviously doesn't have enough skills or education to have a "fulfilling" job, and they are bored. To the contrary, I think maybe some of us are so good at our jobs that we have the luxury of taking the "fivers". I work with people who not only went to college for four years, but then went to grad school and beyond, and you know what? They are ALL in the fantasy football league. And they are taking a lot more "fivers" than me!!!
After reading the initial post, it sounded like the poster thought their job was monotonous. As I said in a later post, life is too short not to have a job you like. I've read tons of stories were people had a good job but they just didn't like it. Has nothing to do with enough skills or education, it happens to people of all skill and education levels. My own DF realized after getting a law degree and becoming a licensed attorney that practicing law wasn't for him. He now has a job he loves in a completely different field.

I wanted to add: How did he find a job he really loves? He took a job similar to what he wanted to do but didn't have enough experience in the area to get the job directly. In his spare time, he studied and gained more experience in the specific area he wanted to go into and was able to apply to a position doing exactly what he wanted to do. He was hired and now loves his job (a little too much )

I do a similar thing in my spare time, I study various areas of interest that I have so that in the future I have more flexibility in what I can do as well as what I would like to do.

I'm not saying people shouldn't take breaks but if they find their job monotonous, then it might not be the right job for them.

Last edited by nelie; 09-15-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:48 AM   #15  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I do enjoy my job. I worked very hard to get where I am today. I take pride in my work but I also want to enjoy myself if I can. I understand what your saying and I agree, to a point. Yes you should enjoy your work, but some folks just don't have that option. Some people have to do what they have to do and if they can make that job a bit more fun along the way, then why not?

I've worked several jobs that I did not enjoy, but I had to do it to make ends meat, but I always found ways to have fun when I could, to make the job more enjoyable. The job I have now is the best job I've ever had. But I've worked for it. I don't want to do this job forever either, but for right now its just fine and I make the best out of it.

I hope that makes sense and doesn't come out the wrong way. Sometimes posting things online doesn't come across the way you want.

Basically if you can enjoy life, do it. If your job is working for you and you can find time in your day or night (in my case) to enjoy yourself, then I say, go for it.
Closed Thread