General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 08:13 PM   #1  

Default More social networking Chaos

Wow, so i read this article about Xanga to Pay $1 Million for Violating Children's Online Privacy Protection Rule. Geez, i cut and pasted the article below. Did anyone else read this? I think its great that there is starting to be a crackdown on these sites. Children need to be protected and organizations like cybertipline can help catch criminals but we shouldnt be setting the creeps up right to gain access to kids.

Civil Penalty Against Social Networking Site Is Largest Ever for a COPPA Violation

Social networking Web site operators Xanga.com, Inc. and its principals, Marc Ginsburg and John Hiler, will pay a $1 million civil penalty for allegedly violating the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and its implementing Rule, under the terms of a settlement with the Federal Trade Commission announced today.

According to the FTC, Xanga.com collected, used, and disclosed personal information from children under the age of 13 without first notifying parents and obtaining their consent. The penalty is the largest ever assessed by the FTC for a COPPA violation, and is more than twice the next largest penalty.

The complaint charges that the defendants had actual knowledge they were collecting and disclosing personal information from children. The Xanga site stated that children under 13 could not join, but then allowed visitors to create Xanga accounts even if they provided a birth date indicating they were under 13. Further, they failed to notify the children's parents of their information practices or provide the parents with access to and control over their children's information. The defendants created 1.7 million Xanga accounts over the past five years for users who submitted age information indicating they were under 13.
Closed Thread