Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-05-2006, 05:15 PM   #1  
mostly harmless

Default Fighting The "Fatten Up for Winter" Instinct

The days are getting shorter and cooler. Animals everywhere are increasing their food intake, trying to put on that layer of fat that will make the difference between living and dying this winter.

We had the first chill in the air this weekend, and I was hungrier than I've been all summer. I ate at least 500 calories more than my allowance for each day the whole 3 day weekend.

I'm going to fight this instinct this year. I know it's there. I know it's prompting me to stock up now, while I can! Well, I don't need to! I've already stocked up, plenty! I've got at least 20 extra lbs of fat on me still that I don't need, and I'm NOT going to add to it.

No matter how strong the instinctual urge is.

Just sayin'!
MariaOfColumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:50 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Good for you! Keep that thought in mind. We don't have to hibernate, so we don't need to stock up. Hey, winter is a good time to spend more time at the gym avoiding the cold--so think of it that way.

Keep on with those good thoughts!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 213/213/139

Height: 5'7"

Never thought about it that way. I have been starving for 3 days and eating to prove it. Now if I can rationalize it by winter stocking up maybe I can avoid the eating.
card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:21 AM   #4  
mostly harmless

I ate more than I meant to again yesterday. This is hard to combat.

Knowing this is going on ought to allow me to resist it.

I love autumn, though. The crisp air, the sounds, the smells. Summer depresses me because it's always too hot and muggy. Spring and fall are my favorite times of year.

I just need to keep on track with weight loss thing. I've been doing good this year, and I don't need to reverse now.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:36 AM   #5  

This is really something. Can it be true? I have been starving for 2 days. When I saw this I couldn't believe it!!!!
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:00 PM   #6  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaOfColumbia View Post
The days are getting shorter and cooler. Animals everywhere are increasing their food intake, trying to put on that layer of fat that will make the difference between living and dying this winter.

We had the first chill in the air this weekend, and I was hungrier than I've been all summer.

Maria -

Move here to Houston! It will be summer until the end of October and start warming up (never gets very cold, anyway!) in March!
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:23 PM   #7  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Hmmm... Time to stock up on good vegetables soups again, so that I can trick my body into thinking that I'm giving it warm, comfort foods for winter!

No kidding, it's starting to happen as well (we had a crappy summer on top of it, somehow it's like we never had any...), and even though the conscious mind knows it's stupid to stock up, well, the body and deep brain don't agree. Silly them.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

Reading this thread alerted me to what I've been doing. At first, I thought I was eating more because my body's just fed up with "the world's longest plateau ever," but I think I can blame the weather this time.

Yesterday, I started in on a feeding frenzy, but I just turned on the space heater and curled up next to it and I stayed within my calorie limit for the day.

I'm going to be stocking up on soup as well. I wish everyone else luck in staving off the winter pounds.
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:43 PM   #9  
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
This is really something. Can it be true? I have been starving for 2 days. When I saw this I couldn't believe it!!!!
Hey, I live on a farm, and from what I see it's very obvious. Our chickens have doubled their food intake, and so have our dogs. Our youngest cat is putting on weight for the first time. This is just one of those instincts that haven't had time to be eliminated in people yet. It's like I've also noticed that I shed more hair in the spring and fall as well. I have to clean out my hairbrush a lot more during that time of the year. Why? That's something can't have been necessary for millenia. But once something is programmed into our genetic makeup, there really isn't any incentive to ever drop it, I think.

It's not a hibernation thing. It's a "survive the winter" thing. We hunt deer here, and when we butcher one shot in November, there are huge slabs of fat in the gut area- if it's been a good year. Sometimes they have a second season in January, and the fat stores of the deer in January are much smaller. Some of the old deer don't put on enough fat for the winter, and they die if they can't find enough to eat day to day- or if a big snow comes along and covers all their normal sources of food.

It's a useful instinct, if you don't have a dependable year round food supply.

We do.

edit: I wouldn't do well in Houston, Breaking Free. I don't sweat hardly at all, and find hot weather quite hard to deal with. That's why I love autumn and spring so well. Summer depresses me cause it's so hot. I just don't need to eat more in fall, that's all.

Last edited by MariaOfColumbia; 09-06-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:21 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 178/135/?

Height: 5'2

Winter is my least favorite season, although I do love the Holidays. It's almost like you have an excuse to hide behind huge bulky clothes and coats and say to "heck" with it. We spend more time indoors to avoid the cold and as a result become bored with cabin fever and turn to food. I agree with the person who said spend more time at the gym! It's always warm and toasty in there and the calories burned remain the same despite the weather. There are also some really delicious recipes for soups, stews, and chili's that are satisfying and low in calories/fat. We don't have to succumb to the "fatten up for winter" stigma. It's a temporary mental roadblock.. and hey! It only lasts three months.. lol
Alora199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:26 AM   #11  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

Yeah I'm planning on making soups and hot foods (stir frys etc) this winter but keeping it as veggie based as possible. That way I can have a bowl or two and not worry about the fat/calories that I'm taking in. I think the hardest part for me will be incorporating exercise. The semester just started so I'll have all these obligations that I didn't have during the summer. Hmm. We'll see. I plan on coming to this site a lot to help me through my tough times.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:04 AM   #12  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alora199 View Post
It's always warm and toasty in there and the calories burned remain the same despite the weather.
Actually I read somewhere that you burn more calories in the winter because your body has to work harder at keeping your core temperature up! Good to know, but I doubt it's a HUGE calorie expenditure, especially when we all work in heated places and wear 7 jumpers!

It's a good excuse to work out outside in the cold weather though - that WILL burn more calories than in the summer. Only good if you don't live somewhere like Alaska!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:32 AM   #13  

What if you live way out in the country and can't get to the gym? It gets mighty cold in WI in winter, too. Personally, I like dvd's you can use at home.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #14  
I restore Teeth.

Yeah, this happens to me all the time- I just get hungrier during the fall and then the winter I eat like no tomorrow. I think it's more of a survival thing...
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:13 AM   #15  
mostly harmless

I managed to eat less than my calorie allowance yesterday! Yay!