Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 04:12 AM   #1  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

Default What happens in a WW meeting?

Just curious as to what actually goes on in a meeting. Other than the weigh-in, what do you actually do?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:02 AM   #2  

At our meetings we weigh in then the leader presents awards like 5 pound stars, bravo awards and 10%, or lifetime awards. Everyone claps, sometimes people speak about how they achieved their goal (only if tehy want to talk). The the leader presents some information or inspiration through group activities and examples. Like once we took all of our Thanksgiving favorites, listed them, figured teh points and found out how to fit in what we really want within our points, so we could all see that holidays are doable we just have to plan and be smart about it. There is usually a questions and answer segment where we can voice concerns or talk about upcoming challenges.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:22 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Each week there is a different topic that is presented and depending on what that is the awards, bravos, celebrations, questions are a part of that. Generally the meetings last about a half an hour. Members also share ideas on new food finds, ways to get in more activity, etc.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:43 PM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

You may want to check out www.weightwatchers.com and see if they have a 'sit in meeting' available in your area. My region right now is allowing you to come in and observe a meeting without charge before you decide to join.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:05 PM   #5  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

I went to my first meeting this past Friday, right before we left to go out of town. The meeting was relaxed, and the leader was real with a real life. One gal who was there said it was her daughter's bday, and she was struggling with the whole family party/bday cake issue for later that evening. The leader told her basically to approach it as any other meal, but allow a few of her 35 bonus points for different things. Also told her that bday cake from a local favorite bakery is 12 points for a 3x3 piece, allowing her to judge her points for cake. She also told the girl to have cake, and count the points, that WW is not about depriving yourself to the point of never celebrating again....that it's a lesson in moderation. I was impressed by her attitude of helpfulness rather than telling the girl not to eat it at all...know what I mean?

I did expect a little more personalized info for my first meeting, however. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I did think she would maybe discuss with me what my goals were, setting realistic goals, etc. Nothing along those lines happened.

The meeting was worth attending, IMHO, especially for the points slider!!
Old 09-06-2006, 09:48 PM   #6  
Maintaining for 3+ years!

S/C/G: 180/157/148

Height: 5'8"

Every meeting is different, depending on the leader and the neighborhood.

One meeting near my office is in a largely Conservative Jewish area, so we talk about things like how do you track points on Saturday when you're not allowed (because of religious beliefts) to write things that day. It's very interesting but not always relevant to me.

My regular meeting is led by a leader who is one of the the funniest
women I've ever met -- but also completely real life. We rarely discuss specific food, it's almost always about behavior modification. It is AMAZING how her weight loss metaphors mimic so many other everyday life situations. I haven't missed more than 6 meetings in 3 1/2 years! Many weeks it's standing room only for her.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:48 AM   #7  
MasterHarper

Wow - Jews aren't allowed to WRITE on a Saturday - that's a new one on me! How do they cope? What if someone rings and they need to write down a message or something?
Old 09-07-2006, 10:28 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

I find meetings to be the key to this whole program. Boaterswife - they don't talk specific goals until you're ready. You need to take baby steps and get to the 10% goal and then they will start talking goals.

*I'm editing as this sounded harsh and that's not at all how I meant it. I mean that there is so much information to learn and to adapt into your lifestyle that it can be overwhelming to set goals and it all out the first week. There is so much to learn from meetings. Enjoy the journey. The destination will keep changing

Old 09-07-2006, 12:36 PM   #9  
Kelly M

Rosegarden, thanks for the info! And no, it didn't sound harsh to me! I was unsure what to expect as I had never been to a meeting before. I almost wish I had gone to a meeting immediately when I decided to do WW and that way I would already be 14 pounds towards my first 10% goal. I am there, but it doesn't count at WW; my first weigh in weight is my starting point with them. I did enjoy myself and plan to go again tomorrow since I have Friday off this week. I think one issue that I foresee is that my day off changes, and our weekends are already packed to the limit. How do all of you handle this situation? If Tuesday is the only day I can go next week, what do you do about weighing in if the computer won't let you weigh in before 7 days?
Old 09-08-2006, 10:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 238/229/140

Height: 5' 5''

I have not found the meetings to be as helpful as I thought it would be, but the actual WI is what has caused me to stick to the program. I really like my WW leader and I do enjoy hearing others weight loss stories.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:42 PM   #11  

Boaterswife, can you find a meeting near work? I used to go at lunchtime until I found my present meeting -- 7:30 Saturday mornings. No excuses that early in the morning!
Old 09-11-2006, 09:45 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

I go on my lunch hour too but if I feel I need some extra "Umph" and incentive, I'll do a mtg where I'm not pushed for time. Of course, I'm starting down this road again so it could be a different journey
Old 09-11-2006, 10:22 PM   #13  
Kelly M

InItForLife, Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, I teach for a whole school district, moving around much of the time. They don't allow us to leave the campus during breaks/lunch. However, I did go Saturday this week instead of Friday, and I think I liked it better anyway. Different leader...the first one was fine, but I do think I liked this one more. Saturdays will probably work for me for awhile, and then I'll change days again when I have to!
Old 09-12-2006, 02:12 AM   #14  
MasterHarper

Quote:
Originally Posted by InItForLife View Post
Boaterswife, can you find a meeting near work? I used to go at lunchtime until I found my present meeting -- 7:30 Saturday mornings. No excuses that early in the morning!
LOL - my excuse would be "I ain't getting up at that time on a Saturday!!"

I like my lies in on a Saturday morning!
Old 09-12-2006, 06:48 PM   #15  

Kelly, glad it worked for you.

It makes it easy for me to "behave" Friday night and then I can get a little wild Saturday night (only -- not all day!) and go back to pretty good Sunday and then the week starts.
Closed Thread