South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #1  
Selftitled Pirate Captain

Default Snacks on Phase I

I had a quick question about Phase I snacks. Do they have to be of the nut/cheese stick/veggie variety or can I bring a SF Jell-O or Pudding cup to work for a snack? I also eat almonds and part-skim Moz. string cheese for snacks most days but I would love the option for a sweet snack in the day. Any ideas?
Old 09-05-2006, 07:10 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

The point of snacks is to keep your blood sugar stable so sweet treats are not really an option even if SF. By the way, SF pudding is not OK on Phase I although SF Jello is. Hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks, Laughing Cow and nuts are best for snacks especially when combined with veggies.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:53 AM   #3  
Life's A Beach!

S/C/G: 270/264.5/170

Height: 5'5"

I too am on Phase I and getting tired of cheese sticks! My favorite snack right now is celery sticks w/ peanut butter- it's slightly sweet, but also salty & crunchy. And very filling
Old 09-05-2006, 08:15 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Celery with hummus is great too. And then there are/is roasted chickpeas from our recipe section. I may make some today.
Check out the Phase I Snacks in the recipe forum.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:32 AM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

The best snacks are those with protein and veggies (like the celery and PB/LC cheese option) because the veggies fill you up and the protein keeps you full longer. Both keep your blood sugar stable too.

In Phase 1, if you are feeling the effects of detoxing (feeling sick, dizzy, tired, cranky, etc.), you really will benefit from incorporating the good carbs that are allowed during that phase, like bell peppers, beans and legumes (chickpeas!), and tomatoes. Try cherry tomatoes stuffed with Laughing cow cheese, or bell pepper strips dunked in hummus (made with chickpeas). My ultimate favorite Phase 1 snack is a serving of homemade (store bought has immense amounts of sugar!!!) three bean salad. There are tons of recipes out there, but I like to make mine with splenda in place of sugar, green beans and wax beans (to up the veggie quantity) and at least kidney beans and chickpeas. If you whip up a batch at the beginning of the week it lasts for a long time and gives you lots of quick snacks. The fat in it helps keep you full longer as well, and the fiber in the beans helps keep you 'regular', something that can also be a problem during P1.

Variety, IMHO, is the key to success on any plan...don't let yourself get into a rut...do what you did here, Sail, and post so we can all help! Good going!
Closed Thread