Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-02-2006, 06:37 PM   #1  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Default kitchen (diet) scales

I'm shopping around for kitchen scales - are electric any better than the regular physical ones? Any suggestions or words of caution? They don't seem too cheap so I'm trying to find one I'll enjoy a lot and get my money's worth.

thanks!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

I've had both kinds and I prefer the electric. The one I have now has a detachable plastic pan that you weigh the food in. I like that feature a lot, because the last one I had had a breakfast-cereal-size bowl which really wasn't large enough to weigh family portions or odd shaped frozen food.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:32 PM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I have a small analog food scale that I bought at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $5. It gets the job done, but it is very no frills. It does have a small, removable plastic container that holds the food while you weigh it, but it is pretty small. It works for me because there are only two of us and I'm usually not making more than 4-6 servings of anything (anything I make for dinner has to be at least 4 servings so that we can eat it for two nights). But if you were making food for more people, it might be a problem. The scale itself cannot weigh more than 1 lb at a time, so if I make something that calls for more than a pound of an ingredient, I have to weigh it in two batches. But this isn't really that much work, so it doesn't bother me.

My biggest complaint is that it's not terribly stable so when I bump the scale (which I do A LOT because I'm clumsy and always in a hurry) the plastic bin falls off and spills my food. If you are careful and methodical, this might not be a problem, but if you tend to be haphazard in the kitchen, like I am, I would look for a scale with a wider base to hold the food bowl. I have used a larger plastic bowl on it when I need to weigh high volume foods (like lettuce), but it was even more unstable (several lettuce dumpings ensued ).

But if you want something really cheap and don't mind a little frustration, this scale definitely works.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:32 PM   #4  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

I have a scale like Barbara's. It was pretty inexpensive from bed bath and beyond. I find it very easy to use, but I only cook for myself most of the time so I'm not usually weighing things over 1lb. It has a removable plastic dish that has been large enough to fit everything I've had to weigh so far.

I don't think you need to spend a lot of money to get the job done.
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote