Old 08-28-2006, 10:03 PM   #1  
Simple is Good!

S/C/G: 345/323.6/299

Height: 5'6"

Default Frustrations of the Uncoordinated

UGH! I get so frustrated trying to do workout videos. I am totally uncoordinated. After years of trying, I have given up on the idea that I can do the grapevine or the cha-cha-cha. I cannot wave my arms one way and make my feet move another. At best, I can do step-toe, step-toe while doing something with my arms. But not consistently.

I feel like I've tried everything out there. The only video I've had remote success with is Taebo, but it got boring. And even that has the hated grapevine (what is with this move?!!!). WATP I did faithfully for awhile but got no benefit from it (besides, I walk the dog when I want to walk. ).

Is there anyone else out there who is as uncoordinated as me? What do you do to workout at home?

I just finished trying to do a Jane Fonda tape- I got through 30 minutes of it, and just got so frustrated I started crying. I hate this feeling.

However, I am going to get another copy of Taebo...hey, it really worked and made me feel strong.

(Thanks for letting me vent. That's really what I needed to do.)
Freedom&Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:26 PM   #2  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Yes I think I am as uncoordinated as you are. I can't do the grapevine or the cha cha cha either. I can barely manage a toe tap, and even then I always tap the wrong side at the wrong time.

I do use the WATP. I work up a sweat with it because even though the moves are simple, you have to do them at a fast speed. I know I'm getting the same benefit from them that I would any low impact cardio. Just curious, why do you say you don't get any benefit from it?

Sorry I've no other suggestions, but I just wanted to let you know that you're not the only uncoordinated fish in the sea.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:35 PM   #3  
Simple is Good!

S/C/G: 345/323.6/299

Height: 5'6"

I did it consistently for about 2 months, and didn't lose any weight or inches. *shrug* It was probably because I did it in a tiny apartment, and could only do the moves in place. I'm not sure.

Thanks for the support. It's good to know I'm not alone! I'll tell ya, it can get discouraging to see the people on Richard Simmons' video just dance and dance, and I can't keep up. :P
Freedom&Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:44 PM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I keep saying I'm going to try something else and maybe I can eventually learn the moves. I'm trying to meet my walking goal for August. Once I've done that, I'll start tying to learn the PUSH cardio DVD. I've previewed it and it has the dreaded grapevine. I know that I'll burn calories if I'm moving at a fast speed even if my feet aren't doing exactly what they should be though.

I forgot about Richard Simmons. I need to try him again. Years ago I did some of his. Even if we can't master it exactly, it's still good for us. That's probably what we should remember as we're doing it. Good luck.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 148/115/119

Height: 5'3"

Try the FIRM. I need Sp-Ed arobics...Ill never be known for my grace, but ive been doing the FIRM for a few years now and am able to "catch on" after a few times.
Button_ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:25 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Give each video at least 5 tries, and try not to get discouraged.

Think of it this way - even the most coordinated dancers at the ballet or what have you spend HOURS practicing to get the moves right...so why get frustrated that you can't get them on the first try?

I always do well when the videos show me the moves at half-speed before going at tempo. If you can't find a video that does that, just start out with each new move at about half the speed the video is going - you'll still be moving, just not as fast. Then speed up once you're more comfortable. Also try doing component parts alone (ie, first work on whatever the feet are doing, then work on whatever the arms are doing, THEN put them together).

The above is how I conquered the grapevine (and this from a girl who broke her arm once tripping over her own feet).
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:08 PM   #7  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

About the WATP videos. I find that once you've outgrown you have to ther modify them or move to another level. I was on the one mile which now is basically just a warm up. I do the walk and jog and end up in pools of sweat. I am also increase the number of miles and will be adding weights.

hope that helps.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:34 PM   #8  
Weight-Loss Warrior

S/C/G: 195/188.4/160

Height: 5'8"

Hi Freedom&Light,

I am also uncoordinated which is while I tend to stick to walking, hiking and jogging. Even I can't mess that up.

I have tried just about every exercise DVD out there and can say that you do eventually catch on. I started WATP (that is what actually taught me the grapevine) and once I got bored with that moved on to the Firm. The Firm is great but does require coordination. I got the hang of most of the steps after awhile, I spent alot of time practicing the steps while not doing the videos. Including in the shower! By the way not a good idea, I almost slipped and fell numerous times! lol. Got bored with the firm after awhile too although it works awesome... I had some great muscles from that! Right now I am in love with the Turbo Jam workouts.... what great fun! If you like Taebo I would highly recommend them... I like them better than Taebo. Great music and a good time. Although sometimes I'm not quite sure if I get as good of a workout with them. But that maybe because I'm a little hesitant on doing alot of the jumping moves. I now live in a third floor apartment and I'm sure my neighbors don't appreciate all the nose. Ahh, to live in my own home again. But alas that is another story.

Try some different exercise videos, I'm sure you'll find one that fits you. And remember to have fun! Even if you are just walking in place while trying to catch on to the moves its better than doing nothing.

Liz
Liz-z78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 275/245/145

Height: 5'4"

Raising my hand as one of the uncoordinated video warriors. I too had tried tons of workouts and couldn't find anything that I could keep up with enough to feel like I was actually getting a workout. I started WATP in January and have had wonderful success with it. I've lost 35 lbs and 3 sizes. I agree that you have to progress with the videos though. I started doing the 1 and 2 miles and thought I'd never make it through them and now I only do the one mile as an "extra" workout and usually do 3 or 4 miles as my regular workout unless I go with the walk and kick or walk and jog which kick the intensity up with a 30 minute workout.

Just keep trying things. If you are able to get videos from a library or netflix that might help in finding something you can really work with. The thing I've found I love about the dvds (now that I've found a workout I enjoy and can actually do LOL) is that I never have an excuse not to workout. They are right here. I just pop them in and go. Don't have to depend on the weather or any other excuse I might be able to come up with

Good luck!
hoosiermomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:09 PM   #10  

When I first started I was the biggest clutz about learning moves. I found Kathy Smith the best at telling me where to go! I feel like I have gotten a lot better though the more I work out.

Can I recomend that you try Kickboxing? The choreography is usually a lot easier than aerobics. You might also like Power 90 from Beachbody. Anything with guys is more simple! Gilad, Tony Horton, etc.

Good Luck!
fikustrees is offline   Reply With Quote