Old 08-28-2006, 09:15 PM   #1  
Ready to Be a Loser!

S/C/G: 181/177.8/160

Height: 6'0''

Default low fat diet

im thinking of going on a low fat diet consuming 30 grams or less of fat. i have questions.

Do you tend to lose more lbs on a low calorie or a low fat diet?
When you are on a low fat diet...if i have some apple juice that is 0 fat, does that mean i can have unlimited of the apple juice?

im trying to lose 43 pounds, so i need some help. help me.

thank you
giovannip811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I did a low fat diet in college, my hair fell out by the handful in the shower.

All fats are not created equal. Some fats aren't great for you, some are very beneficial, you just can't treat all fats the same. We all need healthy fats in our diet to keep us healthy.

General rule of thumb (just a general guideline):

good fats - fats from plant sources (olive oil, avocado, nuts/nut butters), fat from salmon and other coldwater fish. I try to make sure that 20-25% of my daily calories every day come from healthy fats - I limit saturated and trans fats. Fitday is a great way for me to track this).

bad fats - saturated fats from animal products (good idea to eat low fat dairy products), meat

extra bad fats - trans fat, man-made fats like hydrogenated oil (found in almost all packaged baked goods and margarine)

heart healthy fats

more info on healthy fats from the Mayo Clinic

As far as the unlimited amount of apple juice - weight gain/loss is inherently based on calories in vs. calories out. If you consume 3500 more calories than it takes to maintain your body, you will gain one lb. It doesn't matter how much fat is in apple juice, if you drink 7000 calories of apple juice over what it takes to maintain, you will gain 2 lbs.

If you are interested in a low sugar diet, I guess that would be Sugarbusters (I think there's a forum for people on Sugarbusters).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

A lot of calorie counters just watch their fats too. Like Glory said, you need some.
The thing for me was that if I had added fats, my calorie number would head up without much added nutrition. Limiting my fats to about 20 or 25% of calories helped.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:54 AM   #4  
Opulent

I follow a low sugar diet and watch my fats, getting them mostly from whole foods (ground flax, avocado, seeds and nuts).

So, I'd say a whole foods diet could easily and healthfully meet your needs
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

No-if you are on a low "fat" diet...it does not mean you can have unlimited amounts of fat free foods such as apple juice. Low fat diets should ALSO be low calorie diets...just as low carb diets should also be reduced calorie diets as well.
Calories in vs. calories out= weight loss. You simply have to burn more calories through your daily activities and exercise than you take in. This creates weight loss.
You CAN get plenty, plenty fat eating gads of fat free foods. Reducing your fat intake is a healthy thing if done correctly (meaning you still eat small amounts of healthy fats-such as those found in olive oil, nuts, etc.) and you avoid the unhealthy fats-such as shortening, fatty cuts of meats, etc. but you should not be eating a lot of fat free cookies/ice cream etc. just because they are "fat free/low fat". They are still full of sugar. Jelly beans, straight sugar, hard candy, and regular soda are all "fat free" but loaded with sugar.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote