Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-23-2006, 09:31 PM   #1  

Default Help Spaghetti Squash Dinner Tonight

Half the sights I went to said to cut the thing in half. The other half said leave it whole. Well since my knife could barley get through the thick skin I chose to leave it whole and pierce it all over. I baked it at 400 for 40 min. When I went to cut it open this time it was a little easier but it did look all the way done. There was some stringiness but not a lot. So I thought I would take the seeds out and put it back in the oven. Well, the seeds keep slipping down and tangling in what stringy stuff there was. Any suggestions!!!!!
GoingGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:41 AM   #2  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Forget baking it--cook it in the microwave. It's a lot faster and just as good.

Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Place squash cut sides up in a microwave dish with 1/4 cup water. Cover with plastic wrap and cook on high for 10 to 12 minutes, depending on size of squash. Add more cooking time if necessary. Let stand covered, for 5 minutes. With fork "comb" out the strands.

If it is too hard to cut through, prick the skin a few times and microwave it until it is soft enough to get a knife through and then follow the instructions above (but decrease the cooking time appropriately).

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:26 AM   #3  
stbakd

this tastes good with spaghetti sauce. glen
hefty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 258/218/169

Height: 5'9"

I love the stuff. I cut in in half, remove the seeds, put open side down in a very small amount of water and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Then I flip them over for another 10 minutes or so. I make it as our spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce or stuffed with apples and raisins.

I've never tried it in the microwave. I tried to cook it whole once and it just didn't cook. Good luck!
Shrinking Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:58 AM   #5  

I cook mine the ShrinkingMama way (hey that sounds cool doesn't it? Spahetti Squash ala Shrinking Mama!), and it's my favourite way. I have done it in the microwave, but it isn't as good, in my opinion.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:19 PM   #6  

Thanks everyone. After cutting it and cooking it for about 10 min. more it came out fine. I think I am going to cut it first next time.
GoingGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 12:06 PM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingGoal View Post
Thanks everyone. After cutting it and cooking it for about 10 min. more it came out fine. I think I am going to cut it first next time.
It's a royal pain in the butt, but that's how I always do it, too. Or you can pierce the skin and put it in the microwave for like 5 to 10 minutes, and THEN cut it and THEN bake it. Nuking it for a few minutes makes it easier to cut in half. Trying to cut a spaghetti squash in half while it's still raw is a workout in itself.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote