General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 04:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/265/175

Height: 5'8

Question Counting Calories...

I need some help. I have been doing the good old counting calories and fat grams. This seems to work good for me and I'm losing around 2 pounds a week (which from what I hear is a healthy loss). I am curently taking in 1300 calories and 25-30 fat grams a day. Is this what I should be doing? I'm really not sure what my intakes should be and I'm fairly new to this sight, so I'm not sure where I should be looking for answers. So I am coming to you guys for the help and hoping you can lead me in the right directions.

Thank you for your time and help chicks!
Old 08-23-2006, 05:22 PM   #2  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Welcome Trinity!! I say if it's working for you, go for it!
Old 08-23-2006, 06:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I would be careful with fat - not all of it is bad, you need healthy fat everyday. I concentated on eating whole foods (avoiding processed crap) and my fat grams were always super super low. I had to actually try to eat good fat (nuts/nut butters, avocado, olive oil, salmon) to get enough every day. I try to get over 100 grams of protein every day and I try to make sure at least 20-25% of my calories come from healthy fats every day (Fitday is very good for tracking this).

To me, 1300 calories seems a little low to make sure you are getting adequate nutrition. Plus, if you plateau, you have very few options.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:16 PM   #4  

Glory, what do you suggest my calorie intake should be? I have about 100 pounds I want to lose. I just don't know where I should be starting. No diets I have tried have been a success. I am very determined to go about this one the right way without failure. I'm beyond confussed on where to start. Thanks for your opinion/help!
Old 08-23-2006, 09:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Might be worth checking out a calorie calculator to get an estimate for the calories needed to maintain at your height/weight/age/gender/activity level and then making small changes. Definitely, try to lose weight eating as MUCH as you can. This is beneficial for a lot of reasons: you get all the nutrition you need, eating is pleasurable and feeling hungry is not and you have more room to tweak downwards if needed if (when) you plateau in your weight loss efforts.

Here's one from the Mayo clinic (it will only give you an estimate, since you are unique):

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cal...ulator/NU00598

(this is all just my opinion, I'm not a dietician or nutritionist)

It seems to be better to lose weight slowly with a small calorie deficit. What I found in my past weight loss attempts was when I cut calories significantly, I tended to feel cranky, deprived, punished and I would often binge nearly uncontrollably. In retrospect, I feel like I starved myself and it seems only logical that my starving body made me feed it when it felt in jeopardy. I always thought I had no willpower, I felt like I was a loser because I couldn't "stick to" a diet. Now I feel better about myself, it wasn't a will power issue at all, I would want my body's will to survive to be more powerful than my will to restrict.

I had lost weight and gained it back in a vicious restrict/binge cycle for 20 years. I was ultimately successful this time because I decided to make long term changes that I could stick to for my life. One of those changes included not feeling deprived or hungry. When I started counting calories, I stayed around 1400-1600. Everyone is different, so you have to find your own "sweet spot" - the place where you can eat as much as possible and still lose weight. It might be 1300 calories, it might be 1800 calories, it might be 2000 calories. It might start higher and then gradually get lower the more weight you lose (since it will take fewer calories to move your reduced mass around every day).

Patience with your body and with your weight loss journey is key. Fast results are not always the best results. A lifetime diet consisting mainly fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, low fat dairy and healthy fat consisting of a small caloric deficit combined with calorie burning exercise seems the best way to me. You have to find what works for you!
Old 08-23-2006, 10:15 PM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

What Glory said. At somewhere between 250 and 260, I was eating around 2,000 cals/day when I first started my weightloss. And I lost around FIVE pounds per week with that plus daily exercise. Around 170 pounds, I went to 1500 to 1700 cals per day. I didn't drop to 1300 until I was under 150 pounds.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:19 PM   #7  

Thank you again. Your kind words of advice were exactly what I needed. What you said hit home big time. The web page is exactly what I needed as well. Thank you! According to that sight I should be taking in around 2300 cals. Seems like a lot but I will try it for a week or two and go from there. I needed a starting point and I finally have one. Thanks again for your help!

Old 08-24-2006, 08:30 AM   #8  

Doubled checked that sight last night, 2300 seemed like sooooo much. Glad I double checked...2300 was to maintain current weight So hubby and I thought maybe 1800 would be a good start instead of the 1300. Your right, once I hit the point where my weight loss slows down I have no where to go under 1300 without starving myself. I'll try this and hope for the best!

Thanks girls!
Old 08-24-2006, 08:38 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

You might want to join us on the calorie counters forum here:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=172

You've gotten some good advice so far, and 1800 seems like a good place to start at your weight. Remember that all of those calculators are not exact for any of us, so you may have to play around with the amounts.
Closed Thread