Old 08-17-2006, 02:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307.4/267.2/200

Height: 5'7

Default ate too much and now depressed

i ate a slice of sbarro pizza (huge slice) and then ate 2 cookie sandwiches ( icing in between) i feel like i failed and should just go pig out on all the other fattening things i want. i'm not going to do that because logically, i don't want to gain 5-10 lbs. overnight, but i am frustrated with myself. i've been doing good and now this!!!! sorry just needed to vent. what do you guys do when you eat too much? i know i have to exercise more today now. thanks for listening. shanta
nicole79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/123/120

Height: 5'5

Please do not be so hard on yourself.

What I always did was just start over.
Oh! and just go an extra 10 mins. on the tredmill.
You can do it. Congrats on your progress so
far.
Stacey
Lovestorun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:52 PM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

What I have done in the past is increase my exercise for a few days to try to offset some of the damage and lessen my guilt. I also try to get back on track with the very next meal. It' life and 1 bad day isn't going to be the determining factor in weight loss, patience and perserverance will win in the long run.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:04 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole79 View Post
i ate a slice of sbarro pizza (huge slice) and then ate 2 cookie sandwiches ( icing in between) i feel like i failed and should just go pig out on all the other fattening things i want. i'm not going to do that because logically, i don't want to gain 5-10 lbs. overnight, but i am frustrated with myself. i've been doing good and now this!!!! sorry just needed to vent. what do you guys do when you eat too much? i know i have to exercise more today now. thanks for listening. shanta
First off, you don't HAVE to do anything. Think about that for a second. All of these things are choices. You aren't obligated to exercise anymore than you were obligated to overeat. Would it be a more true statement to say that you want to exercise? As silly as this all may sound, how you look at a situation can make all the difference. I don't know if you look at exercise as a chore, but doing so makes it much harder to keep up exercise for life. And we're all gonna have to do that if we expect to keep the weight off. Might as well square with that one.

Also, who said losing weight called for perfection? In a show of hands, who on this board has not cheated, "gone off" their diet, overate, underexercised or what have you during their weight loss journey? I'm keeping my hands superglued to my side here. You don't need to be perfect to make this work or to be successful. I heard some quote around here that went something like, "Failure is falling down 99 times and only getting up 98 times."

This probably isn't the first and won't be the last time that you stumble. For some people, that's a hard lesson to learn. It's one of mine, I know that. That doesn't mean you have freedom to "fail" whenever you're just the tiniest bit challenged because it's to be expected. There's a difference between an excuse to do what you want and the reality that you won't be perfect. But this isn't a competition and this isn't an all or nothing game. In fact, it isn't a game at all.

Losing weight is frustrating. We both were over 300lbs when we started this. And well, I still am. I know frustration! It's ok to feel like that. But it's important to learn how to cope with those feelings in a healthier way than wanting to do something harmful (overeating) or forcing yourself to do something almost like it were a punishment. I don't know about your history, but in me, that creates a binge cycle worse than if I had just said, "Ok, fine. I overate. Tomorrow is a new day and damn did that pizza taste good. I enjoyed it and it's good that I did because there's no going back and undoing it now." Instead I want to restrict and overexercise the next day to make up for it, but I get so hungry I go binge again and then don't feel like exercising so I feel bad and frustrated that I screwed up again and that makes me want to turn to food again for comfort which I do and so I have to restrict the next day too but fail once again... it goes on and on until I break the cycle and say enough is enough.

So, in sum, I ideally try to not sweat it and sometimes I'll challenge myself in exercise for the next week to do an extra 5 10 minutes walking or weight training or something like that. If I make those goals, I reward myself like I was doing this for fun, not because I needed to because I consumed extra calories. I hate feeling like I HAVE to do something. Sucks all the fun out of it.

I know this was quite wordy, but I guess I just really see where you're coming from. Ok, I'm done now

Oh wait, no I'm not. Congratulations on the 35 pounds!
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:25 PM   #5  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Shanta - Isn't it amazing how we can do 99 things right and one wrong and still feel like failures? This is not all or nothing, it is a journey and we will make mistakes along the way. How could we possibly change the habits of years and years overnight? We can't - it will take time, patience and learning.

I would say that it sounds like you need some TLC. Don't beat yourself up - rather find something besides food to comfort yourself.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:25 PM   #6  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

I've never thought of it that way before, but TLC as Nancy suggested is such a good idea...

Another thing I would do, is resume my routine as if I hadn't overeaten! Get back on track, and forgive yourself if you feel that's something you need to do
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 307.4/267.2/200

thank you guys for all the encouragement and for giving me a reality check. my computer was down so i just now got on. i definately expect myself to do better than i did but like you guys said, years of habits don't disappear. i have done better with food and i do WANT to exercise. some days it is a chore but overall i want that good feeling i get when i exercise. anyway thanks again!!!! shanta
nicole79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:05 PM   #8  
I'm a loser, baby!

S/C/G: 314/198/155

Height: 5'10"

Be happy you're showing progress! I've lost nothing, and I keep bingeing!

Start over! There's always tomorrow!
pgray1229 is offline   Reply With Quote