Old 08-16-2006, 09:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/234/195

Height: 5'6"

Question When exercise hurts...

Hey All,
Anyone out there struggle with excercise? I'm really finding aches and pains as I get back on track. It makes it hard.
Laura Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I'm certainly with you on aches and pains. Exercise is always a struggle for me (I have a neurological condition that causes muscles in my neck to contract abnormally, which throws my whole body out of whack), and, unfortunately, always will be. That's where that word commitment that I always harp on (sorry about that!) comes in. Even though it hurts while I do it, and especially after I do it, I know that I have to do it, or I might as well lie down and give up. So I make sure my gym bag is packed, and I challenge myself with things like the President's Fitness Challenge (which I heartily recommend) and a 5K run.

When I weighed 261, I started walking. After I lost about 15 lbs., I joined the nearest YMCA and went to an over-50 (although I was 49 at the time ) low-impact aerobics class three times a week where there were lots of elderly, yet active, participants. Then I added weight lifting twice a week. As I lost weight, I added more activity. While for me the aches and pains didn't get any easier, learning how to deal with them did, and it's a bit easier for me to wake up every morning and head out the door.

Just stick with it, and I bet it will become routine for you, too.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/248.5/160

Height: 5 Ft. 6 In.

Laura: I'm not so energetic as Sheila. I too have found it difficult to exercise because of my pain in my lower back, shoulders, knees and arms. I've had to dig out the old heating pad, which we haven't used in years, to help cope with the pain. I was foolish to think I could jump back in and do things that I used to be able to do, at a moments notice. Too many years and too much time sitting on my butt. I know I have to learn how to "crawl before I can walk" kind of thing. I'm starting slow and not pushing myself. What good would it do to hurt myself and be down. I would be moving even less if that happens. The Jaded Ladies got me on "Walk Away the Pounds" dvd. I just walk and wiggle. I can do that. I walk in place while cooking or brushing my teeth. While watching tv at night, I raise my legs up and down, just to be moving without really moving. I want my body to get used to movement. Dance with your broom or vacuum. What ever works for you. Isometrics also works for me. Tense up a muscle and hold it for a count of 5 and release. Do that 5 or 6 times on various parts of your body. It's like sucking up your muscles and you become very tense. This was all the rage in the 60's. This is exercise you can do at a desk and no one would know. It'll even make you sore. It works that good.
I've been meaning to send you a PM but I was gone all day Wed. Talk to you soon.
Norma
harkeyvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:14 AM   #4  
One pound at a time...

For me, excercise used to be a struggle as well. What worked for me was to find something that challenged me and I also enjoyed. Then it became a pleasure as opposed to a chore. Yes, the aches and pains are still there. But after doing execise for some time, I am finding the aches and pains lessen. The key is to find something you love to do.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:26 AM   #5  

Good thoughts. Thanks. I'm getting ready to go out walking :-)
Old 08-17-2006, 08:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

It is tough when your out of shape and aren't used to exercising. I just recently (3 days ago) added in exercise, I got the Push TV DVD thing. I made it right on through the strength part, however, when I got to Cardio-- I really felt out of shape. I worked through half of it and stopped, I picked back up the next day with the other half. It will get easier as you progress. Just think of it as something that is assisting you on your path to a better, healthier you. Like Shelia said, it is about commitment. You can have all the intentions in the world but if you don't commit yourself to it, It just won't happen. It will get easier as time goes on and you'll learn to build it into your daily routine, it will become as routine as getting up in the morning (well maybe not that routine, but you get my drift.) I'm struggling myself, but I know that if I want to get where I'm going, I have to do it. And I will. Good luck and keep us posted-- its inspiring!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:55 PM   #7  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

I haven't experienced any pain while exercising, but I have found it very difficult on account of my muscles not being strong enough to support my body as I try to move it fast! I know it's not the same thing, so I don't know if what I have to say is helpful but I'll say it anyways (you never know) Would things like flexibility training (stretching) and strength training (strong muscles to support your bones) help at all? Exercises like swimming or aquafit if you have access to a pool, or low-impact yoga (apparently there is such a thing) if you have access to yoga classes or even a yoga DVD (with which you can go at your own pace!) - maybe that could help?

What type of exercise do you do now? I don't know if you use a machine but if you do use a machine, are there other machines you can use that have less stress-impact on your body but still allow you to work out the way you'd like to?

How about your sleep pattern, your mattress, and your footwear? I feel like that came out of nowhere but now that I've written it, it makes so much sense. And stress level too.

I guess what I would say is take it easy and do what you can as you can do it. Committment is key I think, but there are many ways and things to committ yourself to Experiment with different exercises, see what makes you feel better, but don't push yourself to the point of hurting yourself. I was talking to someone a while ago who had told me that she started out exercising with just a walk around the block, and she built up from there on and now she's running a bit even!

Okay, so I don't know if any of that is in the least bit applicable, maybe I'm just going on and on . Either way, I hope you find a way to exercise that leaves you feeling good and strong
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:47 AM   #8  

Thanks for your thoughts. Great ideas. We're getting a new mattress tomorrow, I think that will be really helpful too!