Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:32 PM   #1  

Default Superfoods 8/12

Good morning everyone! I thought I'd start today.

B: Fuji apple
peanut butter
tea

L: chicken Baja rice (boneless/skinless chicken breast, brown rice, sweet peppers, onion, and spices)

D: [baked] chicken w/ zucchini, yellow squash, sun dried tomato alfredo sauce
romaine salad w/ sundried tomato/garlic/olive oil dressing (Newman's Own Lighten Up!)

I'm feeling a bit peckish already, so I may have a look around and see what I can find to eat right now. A friend is calling me back so we can go walk this afternoon, so I'll get my exercise in. I also have more strawberries and kiwis....mmm....strawberries...

So it looks like 9...maybe 10? A good day. Better than yesterday!

Share your menus! Share ideas!
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:12 PM   #2  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi mousie! So far:

Breakfast
20 cherries
2 slices LaBrea whole grain bread
1 tablespoon Trader Joe's blueberry spread

Snack
1 cup Raspberry kefir

Lunch
2.5 oz Boston Market turkey
2.4 oz Boston Market stuffing
1.5 oz Boston Market cranberry walnut relish

Snack
1 oz (appx) mixed nuts
1 peach

Dinner
...in progress...will edit when I've figured it out!!!
Edited to add: Okay, this isn't going so great! I don't feel like cooking and can't seem to find anything that I want right now! I'm tired, alone with the girls and ready to go to sleep. But if I don't eat anything, I'll have only eaten appx. 1000 calories today! I better find something...fast!
Okay, Final Edit! I settled on 1 cup of Frosted Mini-Wheats and 1 cup of skim milk! Not so Super, but filling and now I'm going to bed! That gave me appx 455 calories, so total calories for the day is 1455.

Happy Weekend Everybody!

Last edited by olivia627; 08-13-2006 at 09:49 AM.
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:06 PM   #3  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

I'm back and able to breathe! The past 12 days have been an endless challenge. But I managed to eat well all days except one. And restarted my exercise routine this morning. I wasn't going to post the superfoods until this evening until I saw Hope's idea about editing. So, I'll post and come back to edit after dinner. Superfoods are in blue. Duplicates are dark orchid.

Late breakfast:
steel cut oats made with dried apricots
silk soymilk

Late lunch:
sticky white rice made with millet and black-eyed peas
side dishes of: canned wild salmon, sweet potato, spicy perilla leaves made with garlic and onions,
cayanne paste soup made with napa cabbage, tofu, dried clams, dried shrimp, onions, garlic, tofu, black-eyed peas

snack
fresh blueberries

Edited to add:

Dinner
black jja jjang noodles no superfoods here except garlic and onion... unless you count squid!

I'm going to indulge in a treat with my son in a little bit... but it isn't a whole foods treat. So I'll keep it to myself.

Last edited by Jayde; 08-12-2006 at 09:41 PM.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #4  

Breakfast:

Whole grain toast with natural peanut butter
Strawberry yogurt

Snack:

2 Miss May's almond crunch clusters

Lunch:

Carrot ginger soup
Whole-grain bun with turkey, lettuce, tomato, avocado and cheddar cheese

Snack:

Pink grapefruit

Dinner:

(leftovers)
Roasted Salmon
Roasted beet salad
Spinach salad
Couscous with dill

Dessert:

Fruit salad - strawberries, oranges, apples
Dark chocolate
Tea
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:31 PM   #5  

Well, today didn't start out so super but it's coming around.
B-1 small, ww oatmeal cookie
S-apple
L-wendy's chili (beans)
S-almonds
D-salmon,sweet potato,corn on the cob
S-probably will have strawberries&blueberries in yogurt
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:43 PM   #6  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia627
Okay, this isn't going so great! I don't feel like cooking and can't seem to find anything that I want right now! I'm tired, alone with the girls and ready to go to sleep. But if I don't eat anything, I'll have only eaten appx. 1000 calories today! I better find something...fast!
Yes you should ... unless you really aren't hungry. I always get into trouble if I consistantly don't eat enough.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:54 PM   #7  

I start FOR SURE tomorrow. Today, the scale is up about 4 pounds from this time last week; part is because we had Mexican food last night, and the other part because I didn't get in all my water today.

NO MORE EXCUSES! I'm past ready.
Katpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:46 AM   #8  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Jayde, I ended up eating cereal, eventually! But only out of frustration & not wanting to go to bed on such a low calorie count for the day. I need to go grocery shopping today. My choices in the fridge are widdling down to nothing!

Katpo, today is a GREAT day to begin changing your life! My mom is supposed to start on Monday. We'll see...

It really is easy and fun! It's not hard work at all and you'll most likely find that your old 'cravings' for junk food will diminish, if not disappear all together! What we seem to be finding is that when we do want an unhealthy treat, we end up either eating SuperFoods/whole foods anyway, unintentionally, because that is what our bodies are truly craving, or we lose all desire for the heavily anticipated treat....and end up eating SuperFoods/whole foods anyway!!! You'll start to really enjoy eating better and that will be your new treat! Come on, we're all with you!
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:00 AM   #9  

Thanks very much! I have been steering this way gradually and probably read my book (or refer to it somehow) at least 10 times a day. I made my own shopping list of the things that I like and usually buy anyway, but wanted it in print to have the reminder. It's folded up in the front of my food journal and will be handy to take to the store.

I have really been cheating (cheating who?? MYSELF!) lately because I just feel so darned entitled! I say to myself, "You've lost 35 pounds and eating this one little xxx won't make you gain it all back, so go ahead!" That attitude is absolutely the kiss of death for anyone who is trying to maintain and/or lose a little bit more and I'm trying very hard to change my way of thinking about it. I refuse to undo it all.
Katpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:43 AM   #10  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katpo View Post
I have really been cheating (cheating who?? MYSELF!) lately because I just feel so darned entitled! I say to myself, "You've lost 35 pounds and eating this one little xxx won't make you gain it all back, so go ahead!"
I used to feel that sense of entitlement. But now I've changed it... "I have worked hard.. so I should indulge in a bubble bath... or a facial... or another book. I am worth it so I can buy the apricots or fresh cherries that are expensive. I am worth it so I should buy the orange peppers instead of the green."

As far as treats that are not "on plan" or treats that are on plan but rich in calories, I do indulge.. but only every once in awhile and not until I am sure I really want it. The more I eat healthy things the more I don't want anything else anyway.