Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-11-2006, 03:37 PM   #1  
LLV

Default Losing more than just the weight

Have any of you lost some of your hair? Luckily my hair is long and thick and you can't tell by just looking at me, but my hair, for about the first year of my weight loss, would literally come out in gobs. It doesn't do that anymore, now I just lose the normal amounts. But I was wondering if anyone else that's lost quite a bit (or even a little) of weight has noticed their hair coming out.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 03:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I lost hair by the handfuls during a "diet" in college that consisted of a bowl of rice krispies, an orange and a handful of Dexatrim daily. I also didn't menstruate for a month (the only time in my adult life I have skipped a period). This time, no issues with hair loss.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I have had some hair loss, the Dr. told me this is to be expected on my particular meds. So, this may be what's causing it more than the foods that I eat.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 04:01 PM   #4  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

I've had quite bad hair loss in the front (bangs area). Luckily, I can cover it by brushing my bangs to the side. My dermatologist said it was 'just one of those things' and that there wasn't anything I could do about it. I was tested for hormonal imbalances and everything check out ok.

I think it could be related to my weight loss, although I've been losing weight very slowly. My hairdresser recommended using Nioxin products and I've been doing so for the past few months. I'm taking a zinc supplement as I've read that a zinc deficiency can cause hair loss. I'm also taking biotin. My hair does seem to be thicker lately and I'm not noticing the thinning as much. At least it's not getting worse.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #5  
LLV

Thanks for the responses so far. I was just wondering if it was related to weight loss. Because my first year was my biggest drop in weight and I was losing my hair as well. It's back to normal now, but it was definitely weird.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/200

Height: 5'5

Well, i have about twice the amount of hair as an average person, and i mean its THICK. And its always come out in large amounts when i brush it or shower, but it hasnt been any worse during my weight loss. I guess we'll see
cardsfan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:05 PM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan2009
Well, i have about twice the amount of hair as an average person, and i mean its THICK. And its always come out in large amounts when i brush it or shower, but it hasnt been any worse during my weight loss. I guess we'll see
Oh, mine was horrible. I mean it would just pull out in conglomerated strands in the shower. It was scaring me for a while there because I was like, "good grief, am I going bald?"

Luckily, though - like you - I've got thick hair and could afford to lose some of it. If I would have had thin hair to begin with, I know for a fact I'd look half bald by now. That's how bad it was. But now it's back to normal, not losing anymore than the average amount, so maybe new hair is starting to grow back in.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:28 PM   #8  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I lost hair like this when I crash dieted years ago. I was under 1000 calories for about 4 months. I lost almost 80 pounds and quite a bit of hair.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:54 PM   #9  
Brit Chick

Linda - from what you say the hair loss may be temporary. That's cheered me up a bit .
Old 08-11-2006, 07:22 PM   #10  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiL
I lost hair like this when I crash dieted years ago. I was under 1000 calories for about 4 months. I lost almost 80 pounds and quite a bit of hair.
Yeah, but I was doing it slow. Making sure I was getting adequate calories every day. And taking vitamins and all that.

Weird.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:22 PM   #11  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpal
Linda - from what you say the hair loss may be temporary. That's cheered me up a bit .
Yeah, it stopped after a while
Old 08-11-2006, 07:46 PM   #12  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

Possibly something to do with hormones!! Isn't everything we ladies deal with somehow due to our hormones!!
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:01 PM   #13  
Brit Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiL
Possibly something to do with hormones!! Isn't everything we ladies deal with somehow due to our hormones!!
In my case, apparently not. That's why I think it could be because of losing weight. I've noticed on the 3FC forum for gastric bypass surgery that quite a few people have had hair loss when they lost weight quickly after their surgery.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 192/186/155

Height: 5'9"

I have noticed for some unknown reason an unusual amount of hair loss this summer before I started this weight management program. I really think it has to do with hormones. I too have been checked for thyroid and everything was o.k. I actually think it is the unusually hot weather for me. It is kind of like my dog. In the summer she would loose globs of her hair as a natural defense to the heat. So between hormones and heat, I think that it why I have been thinning a little. I have very long hair, so when I lose a lot, it looks like a small child's wig.
EverHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:42 PM   #15  
Vegan

S/C/G: 255/Ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

I seem to be losing hair at a faster rate since i've started losing weight several months ago too. In fact I was just noticing that today!
kierr is offline   Reply With Quote