Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 08-06-2006, 07:28 PM   #1  
Bikini Season :)

Default Pets Make It Better?

I've been dealing with depression and lonliness issues for years - and i'm adopting a dog this week from an animal rescue.

Do any of you have pets? Do they seem to help?

I figure its companionship, something to focus on, and a reason to go for walks outside a few times a day...

I'm extremely excited about this dog!! Anyone else have similiar experiences?
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 07:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/200

Height: 5'5

I dont have depression, but i can tell you that i prefer animals to people. I dont know what i would do without my pets (12 chickens, 3 dogs, 3 cats, and 2 birds) I spend a lot of my day taking care of them, and they love me unconditionally. I would imagine they would help with the loneliness issue.

I live in the country on a gravel road, so when my dog Buddy comes with me on a walk, i feel good because hes getting exercise but also he will protect me if someone, shall we say, "unfriendly" comes along in their car or whatever.

I hope you enjoy your new dog.
cardsfan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:05 PM   #3  

Default Pets -- YES!!

I can tell you that my puppy gives me such a warm and wonderful feeling everyday. I have never been a dog girl but when my hubby gave me a 6 week old Maltese last year, I fell in love. This little guy has definitely become a part of the family and he makes me laugh and smile everyday, even on days when things seem a little gloomy. Good luck, I am sure that you will be happy that you made the decision to add unconditional love to your life.
terrybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:01 AM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

I think pets definitely make it better! I am an animal lover and right now I have 4 dogs and some fish. My puppies (2 of the 4) make me laugh many times every day, everyone gives constant affection and I love taking care of them. Before the puppies came earlier this year, I was very depressed because we were going through some very tough (and unsuccessful) infertility treatments. They have kept me busy and are always willing to give affection or cheer me up. I have had pets most of my life - they have always been the sources of so much joy and great company when things are not so joyful.

What kind of dog are you getting? Congratulations!
peaceful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:11 AM   #5  

I thought you were a travel nurse kate? How will it work with a new pet?
I found my dog who is now 10 years old is a huge part of my life, but as a puppy was a lot of work and I will personally never do it again. I would only have a dog now that was already fully trained....imho

good luck!

Liz
liz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:29 AM   #6  

heya~!

yes, i am a traveling nurse. i work with a company that supports traveling with pets/spouses/etc... and if i tell them the weight/age/breed they do their best to find me housing that is ok with that. i talked with other nurses who also travel with my company who have large dogs and no one has had a problem yet!

she is a german shepherd, 3.5 years old. a complete and total sweetheart! i can not wait! just a few more days!!
Old 08-07-2006, 10:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Kate,

I have adopted several rescue dogs in the past. It's a very rewarding experience to provide a loving home for an animal who will love you unconditionally. If the dog has any adjustment problems after you get it, or you just need info on how to take care of it, feel free to PM me.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Pets DEF help with depression!!! Have you been able to spend a lot of time with her? Make sure to research german shepherds, so that you are able to accomadate her breed. I have 4 ferrets and some fish right now, but growing up we had dogs! I LOVE DOGS, can't wait til we get a house!!! I love german shepherds, they are so pretty, you'll def have to post pics
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

I have two dogs and they have definitely helped me through an extremely difficult year.

DH and I also committed ourselves to walking our puppers twice every single day, and we stick to it, even when we don't want to. To us, they aren't "just dogs" - they are our companions and part of our family. We owe it to them to take care of them & get them out of the house to see the world.

Our dogs are just plain wonderful. They seem to sense when something isn't right with me (they're heavily bonded to me) and they'll come up to me and nuzzle me when I'm down. It's amazing how in tune they are and how much they lift my spirits. Plus, I have the added benefit of daily exercise that I refuse to sacrifice b/c it isn't about me, it's about THEM!
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:56 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

My dog makes a huge difference in my life. I love all my pets (dog, cat, 2 turtles) but to be honest my dog is my baby - she has bonded very closely to me (and me to her!!). She is a german shepherd/lab cross and she is the sweetest, best behaved dog I have ever come across. We got her from a shelter and my whole family talks about how lucky we were to find her.

Dogs will definitely help with any loneliness issues...and ditto what everyone else said about exercise - they motivate you to get out there and exercise them...which in turn exercises you. Unconditional love, who could ask for more??
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:51 AM   #11  

ok! so i got her today! and BOY am i going to have my work cut out in the training department!!

so far no accidents in the house, a few displays of power (eh - german shepherd...), she stares down and barks at strangers and their dogs and until i ended up getting way firm with her - refused to notice that i was speaking to her!

however - i took her out for a 3 mile walk and jog (ya'll are right - great incentive!! i'd have never done that without her here!) and she seems to be a little better after having gotten some exercise...
Old 08-09-2006, 04:23 AM   #12  

I think pets might help when you feel lonely. They make great companies.

Congrats on your new dog.

What's her name, by the way?

Have a great day,

La Agua Fresca - no pet now...yet...
http://aguafresca.healthifica.com
aguafresca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:40 PM   #13  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Thank you thank you thank you THANK YOU for rescuing a dog from a shelter. As cute as purebred puppies are, giving a mature, neglected animal a second lease on life is KIND-HEARTED, GENEROUS, AND LOVING. Your dog will thank you for years to come.
I have, over the years, adopted 6 animals from animal rescue. Some were more challenging than others - one of my cats took TWO years to overcome her skittishness (history of abuse), and today, you couldn't ask for a more loving, happy cat. The weird thing is that she is the ONLY cat I have ever seen that actually has a grateful look. I thought at first I was transposing my human reactions onto her, but, NO, she really, really has an unusual contented look ONLY when she looks at me - her eyes actually go SQUARE. Can't beat it, especially when I have a crappy day.
Best of luck with your dog -- what's her name????
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:12 PM   #14  

thanks guys! i got her from a german shepherd rescue, so she came out of a shelter at some point - but she is still a purebred. I named her Kia! Coming up and seeing her smiling at me made this morning completely worth it!!

AND -- im getting a slight tan!!
Old 08-14-2006, 09:56 PM   #15  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Congrats on your new doggie. The others are right, pets are wonderful and dogs are great to get you out and exercising and German Shephards are great, a bit stubborn at times, but wonderful!

Enjoy!

Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote