South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 08:36 AM   #1  
Shrinking Mom

S/C/G: Goal Weight:127

Height: 5"

Angry Peanut Butter

I had stalled in my weight loss so I started looking at possible suspects.
After cutting out PB for 3 days I have finally begun losing again.

No more PB and celery for me
O well......

As my husband says: ( as he drops weight like it's nothing) "Every Body is different"
Thanks Captain Obvious
Old 08-04-2006, 08:48 AM   #2  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

How much peanut butter are you eating? I eat it all the time. Also, is it natural peanut butter. Regular peanut butter is blended with fully or partially hydrogenated fat. Basically, to make the peanut butter fluffy and spreadable, they blend it with shortening. Natural peanut butter is just as fattening as the hydrogenated peanut butter, but the difference with the natural is, it goes further. You don't need to use as much. You should be able to eat 2 tablespoons of it a day. I eat it all the time. I started making my own. I take a jar of roasted non-salted peanuts and put them in my food processor. I add 1tbsp of peanut oil, 2 tsp of honey and a tsp of salt. and blend until smooth. It will have a slightly gritty texture, but it's wonderful stuff and so much better for you than the other kind. You can buy natural peanut butter in the store as well. It's a bit pricey, that's why I make my own. Also, since it's natural, it needs to be kept in the fridge so that the natural oils and fats don't go rancid.

Good luck. Eat your peanut butter if it's what you enjoy. Just in moderation. Another good accompaniment for the creamy wonderful stuff are apples. Especially during "that time of the month."
Old 08-04-2006, 09:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

You're right to find the things that work for you and the things that don't. Peanut butter may not be one that works for you. Maybe after a time away from it, you can try to re-introduce it with carefully measured amounts if you find that you truly miss it.

I find that I do best if I stay away from all the nuts and nut butters. They are just too calorie dense and too easy to go over the correct serving size.

Good luck
sarah
Old 08-04-2006, 02:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 378/363/150

Height: 5'3"

I'm with you!!! I know we can have 2T a day BUT I have to REALLY limit it to a special treat. I find on the days I have PB that I don't lose. BUT sometimes you've just GOT to have some PB.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:24 PM   #5  

You could try mixing peanut butter with tofu to cut down on the nut calories and fat. I receive an e-mail newsletter from NBC's "Biggest Loser" diet club and they offered up that tip. I don't imagine it alters the flavor much and probably makes it like a little PB mousse.

Here's the recipe:

Peanutty Spread

1 cup silky tofu, drained
1/3 cup peanut butter
4 tsp. honey (Probably isn't necessary, or use sugar-free maple syrup)
2 tsp lime juice

Blend the ingredients in a blender, adding a few drops of water if too thick and refrigerate.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:45 PM   #6  
Shrinking Mom

S/C/G: Goal Weight:127

Height: 5"

Thanks for the input everyone.

I was using the natural pb and limiting it to 2 tbs....measured exactly.
I also notice I am not having any cravings like I did when I ate PB.....

I will not miss it
Old 08-05-2006, 08:31 AM   #7  
Future Belly Dancer

S/C/G: 234

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3bibs
Thanks for the input everyone.

I was using the natural pb and limiting it to 2 tbs....measured exactly.
I also notice I am not having any cravings like I did when I ate PB.....

I will not miss it
I am in the same boat. Oh my goodness, I love peanut butter. I bought a jar of it when I started phase one and I was craving it constantly and definately eating more that I was supposed to, so I chucked it.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:02 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

Strange... I never really liked or ate peanut butter until I started the healthful eating; now I eat it quite a bit but of course do limit the amounts. For those who do eat it... try it with bananas... it is great that way.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:44 PM   #9  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

I am very pro-peanut butter and nuts, raw nuts mostly. They are not the enemy. Really. They just need to be eaten in moderation. 2 T of pean ut butter a day or an oz of almonds or walnuts is fine. Pine nuts are good too! On the days I eat nuts I eat less meat, chicken or fish. I eat beans or some other kind of plant protien.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:13 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 160/147/130

Height: 5'4"

There is an additional consideration in whether or not a food is "good for you" that is over looked a lot. If a person has even a slight sensitivity to nuts (which many, MANY people do) the first thing it will do is cause them to gain weight. If you aren't sensitive to them, they are incredibly healthy foods but peanuts and other nuts are NOT the same "allergy wise." A person can have issues with peanuts and not the others - or it can go the other way around.

Trust your body and trust yourself. I can eat all other nuts and do often and still drop weight but I can't touch peanuts or too much beans (peanuts are actually a legume) or I'll stop losing and gain. I was food tested and found that if I eat them too often, I do infact develop a sensitivity to them. I'm the same way with bell peppers, tomatoes and eggplant. Who knew you could gain weight eating veggies??? BUT eat a food you're body isn't completely okay with and you will......
Old 08-07-2006, 12:16 PM   #11  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Great info, Little Grasshopper! :wiz:

my3bibs, good for you for figuring out what wasn't working for you, changing it, and being okay with it! That's one of the strengths of this plan, I think. You become much more in tune with what works for your body. Do keep in mind though, as LG said, that peanuts are legumes and therefore, if you find that you can't deal with peanuts, you might be able to deal with other nuts. Try them before you cut them out and make sure they are a problem too. You can get cashew or almond butter in most health food stores if you end up missing the PB badly.
Closed Thread