Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-01-2006, 06:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/198/145

Height: 5'5

Default ? about exercise & heat with no air

HI I have A question about exercise with this heat & no air ...I am A single mom & I dont have A car to go to the mall or anywere cool I cant afford A gym or get there for that matter right now, I have been doing good with walking everyday & doing sdome strenghth exercise A few times A week for the past 6 weeks I have been on my diet. but with this heat I have not worked out in A few days, I walked yesterday & the day before but today I just cant I walked to the store but I can't do it today lol is there anything anyone can suggest? Can you lose weight just from sweating lol...any suggestions for the next few days so I dont go backwards?
thank you so very much!!!!
mizz186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:47 PM   #2  
Working My Way Back Down

Ack, it's sooo hot everywhere it seems (well, not here, but the rest of the US). You didn't say how old your kid(s) is/are. Can you walk very early in the morning, or later at night when it's at least a little cooler - and the sun is down?
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:59 PM   #3  

Thank goodness my girls are older they are 10 & 14 & not in this house with the heat they have karate & church & have been @ A friends but yes I can walk in the evening that is what I have been doing but I wont today I am so exhasted from the heat my thermomeater in my house goes to 99 degrees & it is there & would probrally pass it if it went further oh well I hope it doesnt hurt too much to take A few days off lol
Old 08-01-2006, 07:43 PM   #4  

Do you have a community pool in your area. Its very inexpensive and a great way to cool off...The heat actually motivates me to go take a dip! I am taking swimming lessons right now but its a great exercse evn if you just walk in water (burns more calories than just walking on land).
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:56 PM   #5  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I walk really early or really late....funny story about the thermometer...I went to look at the thermostat on the heater in the hall - I couldn't even see the needle any more it was so hot it disappeared behind the thermostat cover.

People do pay extra to use saunas....we are getting it for free. Just make sure you hydrate.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:59 PM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizz186
oh well I hope it doesnt hurt too much to take A few days off lol
It does, it really really does. You're just starting out trying to change your life. If you put exercise on hold now, you'll find a reason to put it on hold tomorrow, and the next day, and the next. To build this as a habit, you have to do it...heat or no heat, rain or shine, snow or sun. You just have to find other ways to exercise.

Put some fans on you, it's better than nothing. Keep a lot of cool water on hand and be sure to drink while working out. Wrap an ice pack around your neck...it helps. How about going to karate with your daughter? Karate is good exercise. And a mother-daughter bonding moment. Try walking in the morning rather than at night...before it gets hot, and before you've had time to get exhausted by the heat.

But if you slack off for a few days (and what if it stays hot for more than a few days? It's Aug...hottest month of the year, and there's another 29 days of it.), then you might slack off even longer, until you realize you completely gave up on it. And I'm sure that's not what you want.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:52 PM   #7  
No description available.

Karate would be a great choice. I do taekwondo with my son and it is fun and fabulous exercise. Also, try exercising early! I ran at 5:15 this am and it was gorgeous and so worth getting out of bed.

Just say NO to excuses!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:13 AM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

My problem with working out at night in the summer is that it's SO hot during the day that I'm already exhausted when it finally cools off a bit. I work out in the early mornings during the summer and during the winter I just automatically switch to evenings. I never realized I did this until you posted! Working out in the early mornings has some great benefits, you just have to conquer the snooze button
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #9  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

do you have a basement? its usually cooler downthere, maybe you could do some walking in place/jumping jacks ect...

Do you have a spray bottel, fill it with ice water and spray yourself down between sets...

somone mentioned fans already...

do you know a friend that has A/c and is also trying to live a healthier lifestyle, ask to buddy up...
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #10  

I would LOVE to do karate but I can't afford it for me & besides that I have A bad knee & arm I left A bad marrige A few yrs ago & have permanate disabilities from it so basicly I can walk & do A few other things that my body will allow thanks for all of the advice!!! does anyone know if during the heat you burn more calories...the more u sweat the more you burn or anything? & yesterday was the only day I didnt walk lol I havent doe my other exercises in 2 days but I did walk today & walk & excersise on monday just the humitidy was TOOOOO much yesterday cooking the heat & all of those things got to me lol again thank you!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 09:49 PM   #11  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Try doing stretches and yoga (with a fan on you) and walks late in the evening with the kids. Run outside and play games with the kids in the SPRINKLER.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:36 AM   #12  

Its ok to take one day off a week, its actually recommended. But dont get in the habit of skipping. I am running everyday even in this heat. You are going to have to go REALLY early in the morning or late in the evening. (i go at 6 am or 8pm). Drinks lots of water in the day and just suck up the heat. Stay focused and motivated and hopefully a break in the heat will come soon.
VelVeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:24 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 187/171/130

Height: 5'4"

Another idea- if your kids have a PS2 or an XBox there are workout DVDs you can buy. Not much help with the heat issue, but at least you could be indoors really early or late. I agree taking one day as a rest day is good- as long as you get right back with exercising the next day.

I know what you mean about cooking heating up the kitchen. I hung a heavy curtain across the door, & it works wonders for keeping the rest of the house a little cooler. Also, putting a small fan facing out the kitchen window sucks the heat & fumes out.

Best wishes staying on your plan in the heat~
GenreGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:00 PM   #14  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelVeeta
Its ok to take one day off a week, its actually recommended. But dont get in the habit of skipping. I am running everyday even in this heat. You are going to have to go REALLY early in the morning or late in the evening. (i go at 6 am or 8pm). Drinks lots of water in the day and just suck up the heat. Stay focused and motivated and hopefully a break in the heat will come soon.
Yeah, I get my daily run in too. But I keep it on the baby's schedule...whenever he wakes up, after we have breakfast, etc...so I don't usually get to the park until 10:00 or 11:00. Whew! When it's just TOO hot, I cut it down to 1 or 1.5 miles and just walk the rest. I've just become accustomed to it, making sure to take breaks if needed, drinking lots and lots of water, stopping in the park restroom (the one in the rose garden has AC LOL) to cool down a bit, splash on some cool water for me and the baby, sticking to the shaded areas wherever possible...just being careful.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:13 PM   #15  

what about walking in a local mall?
eadavenp is offline   Reply With Quote