Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-01-2006, 07:54 AM   #1  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

Default Cool Runners - August

WOW - is it August already? Hope I'm not jumping on anyone's toes but I thought I'd go ahead and start the month off.

I got in a good 4-miler last night in 35:40!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:20 AM   #2  
No description available.

Emily, you are so fast! Congrats on the time!

I ran 3 miles this am (in the rain!) and my time was 35 minutes.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:11 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Three miles for me this morning. Just a touch over 40 minutes. 1 walk break. Getting there, getting there...

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/162/119

Can I ask all you experienced runners a question? I started running doing the C25K in June, and I am now able to run for 20 minutes at a time. I have the possibility of running in a 10k on the first of October (I am doing a 5k in September), and it is possible to get to 10K by only increasing my mileage by only 10% each week. What I wonder is if it is sensible to run that far when I'm only a newbie? Running websites etc all go on about how important it is to take things slowly and not rush into running too far or too fast. The other people who would do it with me are also all new runners, and they will probably go ahead whatever I do. I would really like to do it, but I don't want to risk injury if it really is too soon to be running so far.

The event information also says that this is a "running event". I don't know if that is normal, but it implies to me that they do not want people who might want to resort to run/walk intervals if it gets too hard for them. Any ideas?
Pachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:29 PM   #5  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Pachyderm, you should be fine - is it the Cancer Research 10? If so there will be plenty of people who do run/walk intervals - I certainly did for my first one! I think they say it's a running event to distinguish it from Race for Life which they encourage people to walk if they want to, when it says running it assumes that you'll run at least part of the distance, not that you'll run all of it! The same applies for most 10ks to be honest.

I ran in the end this morning, I did 5.6 miles without a hint of pain, and then did just over 10k on the exercise bike to get a bit more cardio in without putting too much weight on my legs. I was sweatier than I've been for a long time at the end of that!

I've found a 30k race that fits perfectly into my marathon training so I think I'm going to give it a go. It's billed as a run/walk event anyway, so I'm not intending to race it as such, just use the distance and the fact there's a tshirt and barbeque at the end as motivation to finish it rather than giving up if it feels too hard. I've just got to try to get hold of the entry form and get it back before the deadline, as this stunning idea only occurred to me at a relatively late stage!

Tomorrow morning is meant to be 5 miles again, but again I'll wait and see how my legs feel in the morning before making a decision. I want to do that 18 miler at the weekend even if it means dropping some of the shorter runs, so I'm not going to take any risks with it.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:10 PM   #6  

Pachy, My DH (a longtime runner) swears by the 10% rule, so I would say if you can increase your milage that way, you will be fine. (Not that I apply his advice to my running >haha<).
Old 08-02-2006, 02:14 AM   #7  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

I managed another 5.4 miles this morning, the knee seems to be a lot better this week so fingers crossed it will hold out and start improving now I'm paying more attention to it
Old 08-02-2006, 04:58 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 176/162/119

Thank you Helen and Midwife, I think I was psyching myself out yesterday about the distance, especially as I took a 30 second walk break in my 2 mile run yesterday, but I still made it up the hill to my house - Yay!

It is the Cacer Research 10K at Blenheim Palace in North Oxfordshire. Should be a lovely place to run.
Pachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:42 PM   #9  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

evening ladies! I kinda joined in July then went on vacation for a week so i"m jumping back in. I actually went on 2 runs over vacation but both very short. I also ate like crap so tomorrow restarts my healthy lifestyle and I'll be running at the gym. I'm looking forward to getting my saggy butt back in shape after my "little" lapse...
batmomm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:26 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Thank you Lucky for starting the August tread...

I've only been running on the treadmill, I so admire you gals who can handle that heat... But hey I can handle the -20c in the winter , not that I want winter back now, don't get me wrong....

Monday I ran 4 miles
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:16 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 132/132/120

Height: 5'5

okay...starting out here, I was going to start end of July, but decided to wait to post until now (though I was running).
Well I don't know if you can consider it a run, its more like a jog, I think sometimes I can walk faster than I run. It takes me about 35-38 minutes to do 3 miles, but hey, thats better than nothing right.
so yesterday I did 3.01 and tonight I did 3.02, what do you mean by the 10% rule, if I run 3 miles this week I should do 3.3 next week? Wow that seems kind of fast to be advancing, but maybe thats just me. My knee is hurting sooo bad tonight along with the shins, so maybe every 2 weeks I'll do the 10% rule.
Nikki0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:43 AM   #12  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

Yes, the 10% rule is increasing distance by no more than 10% per week. You don't have to increase the full 10% though, as I understand it that's a maximum not a minimum!

No run for me this morning, I got a little drunk last night and didn't feel up to it so I thought I'd give my knee a bit of a rest. There won't be an opportunity to run this evening, so I'll probably run tomorrow morning if I feel up to it instead of my normal rest day.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:35 AM   #13  

Hi Nikki, You move at my pace and I consider that a run!

3 miles in 36 minutes this am plus 2 martial arts classes planned for tonight.

The 10% rule applies to total mileage over the week. So if you have 3 runs, a 4 miler and 2 3 milers (10 miles) in a week, the next week you would only want to add one mile in there somewhere. At least that is my understanding of it. But like all things, it is a guideline. I think there are not a lot of rules in running, besides needing shoes that don't kill your feet!

Good luck!
Old 08-03-2006, 09:14 AM   #14  

Height: 5'7"

Two miles this morning, no walking but still slow (for me). But it was a minute and a half faster than the last time I did the loop, so I'll take the progress. Feels so good to be running again.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:59 PM   #15  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

went running at the gym today using the same plan I did before vacation only this time it kicked my a$$! Average out 9 min miles but only went just shy of 3 miles gotta back in the swing of things...
batmomm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote