Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #1  
Momma on a Mission

Height: 5'8"

Default Can anyone share a little(or alot) of info about aqua aerobics?

Last fall I purchased 30 visits to our local and gym and really wanted to start water aerobics. Unfortunately I have let my shyness keep me at home.

I would love it if someone could tell me what a typical aqua aerobics class is like. I was once near 300 pounds and have started loosing weight again and need to get into an exercise routine. I love the water and have heard it helps ease you into exercise. Would you recomend classes or is there a good book that I could use at my convience instead of always needing to go at class time.

I would love any input. Thanks
mtnheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:38 PM   #2  
You can do it!

S/C/G: 314.4/302/150

Height: 5' 7"

Hi Martha!

My mom and I did water aerobics about a year and a half ago when we were heavy into WW. Let me just begin by saying water aerobics is great! We both hated the machines, and I was too akward to take a "land" class at the gym so we opted for the aerobics class. It's not easy at first, but it is definately worth it. I would take the class at first. For me, it's easier to learn all the steps with someone else showing you what to do. But, after about 4-5 mos. we could do the routines ourselves. So at that point we kept going to the class because we enjoyed it. Once we picked back up at the gym, we walked laps in the pool, using some of the techniques we learned in the aerobics class. Now, our membership is about to lapse, and since I am starting a new job we're not going back to the gym for the time being. I will miss it.

A typical class here, started with some basic warm ups to get you going think jogging front to back, kicks, etc. Once you get into the meat of the class, you're doing things like jumping jacks, and cross country (like you're skiing), lunges, jumping, etc. all depends on the instructor. Once the meat is over, they did some ab work (yes you CAN do cruches in the pool ) Then we did some arm work and leg work with these round discs that had holes cut out for your hands or feet. Then the cool dawn with stretching.

PS> Don't be too nervous about going in there. I too am self conscious but went anyway. There are a lot of people there who were my size or larger. And if you hit the classes on the right nights (read: Wednesdays = church nights, Fridays in fall = HS football) not many people are there so you get a more personal lesson, which is awesome.

If you have any other questions let me know!

Kim
Kat311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:04 PM   #3  
Swimming Mouse

Does your local gym have any classes already? If so, that's the best place to start. If not...
You can actually find workouts on-line and download the sheets that tell you the steps. I've done water aerobics (started off doing that exclusively when I first hurt my ankle... the class was right before my scheduled shift at the same rec center where I volunteered to teach children with disabilities how to swim), and the quality varies by instructor. I much prefer instructors that get in the water and have some knowledge of the water. I work at a gym now as a lifeguard and children's swim instructor. One of the instructors helped me get back to swimming laps (something I hadn't done in a while) so I was able to pass my lifeguard re-cert last year... despite nerve damage to my ankle that makes it hard for me to kick! The list below is based on things I see the people at the gym where I work do all the time.
Since I don't know what things you want to work on, here are some tips on things NOT to do...
1. The bar bells are styrofoam, and if you wave them above your head out of the water, they aren't doing you any good. You only get weight resistance from them when they are IN the water.
2. Choose the bar bells based on your strength: don't pick them because of the pretty colors.
3. Make sure you stretch before and after... you ARE working muscles. Also, make sure you drink water. You may not realize it, but you do sweat in the pool.
4. Do both cardio and weights: cardio is pretty easy; just walk or swim up and down the pool for a while. You can make it more interesting by using swimming training paddles or gloves. These increase the resistance you experience as you move in the water, and increase the calories burned.
Weights are harder, because you need to keep the weights under the water.
5. Most gyms have "introductory" personal training; ask them to do yours in the pool. Chances are, they'll just give you a print out of different pool exercises.
6. If you really get into it, and you like music, consider purchasing a waterproof CD player or MP3. I have an iPod with a waterproof case that REALLY made swimming laps so much more pleasant. One reason that a lot of people choose water aerobics instead of lap swimming is because of the music.
7. There are places on-line where you can buy your own equipment if you want to, and find your gym doesn't have any.
8. Look at the different classes: my own gym doesn't have a deep enough pool, but I'd love to find a good deep-water jogging class. There are several locally, but they are all during the middle of the work day. But there is a lot of variety out there: there are even bikes you can ride in the pool now. But, on the bikes, don't think being in the pool makes it easier. I'd hoped I could do it, because I used to love riding my bike... I can't. Its actually HARDER to pedal in the water!
Feel free to send me a PM if you can't find any exercise lists on-line... My gym has several, and I could get one from my friend also. She's on vacation now, though, so it will be several weeks before I see her.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:55 PM   #4  
Momma on a Mission

Thank you both for great information.

Yes our gym already has classes, but they do not give any descriptions. I have seen some gyms list some classes as arthritis classes or senior classes. I don't know if that would be a good begginer level or what. I guess I just need to work up the nerve to go and see for myself. Our gym does not offer childcare, so I must find a sitter for my 2 year old. Excuses are easy to find without even looking!

I have started working out some at home and want to build up my stamina before I embarass myself at the pool. Unfortunately my passes expire November 10th. Maybe that will be the final motivation.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If you have arthritis classes in your area, check what the water temp is (arthritis classes certified by the Arthrits Foundation will be warm water - which is super fantastic if you have any issues with cold water at all - I have fibromyalgia and arthritis - and I can't tell you how wonderful warm water exercise is. The water should be only a little warmer than the air, so you barely feel any temp difference (if it is bath water temp, it can be uncomfortable to break a sweat).

Anyway - if you have no issues with cold water, the pool is an amazing place for us "floaters," to exercise. We actually have an advantage over thin people because we can expend all of our energy in activity, rather than any in staying afloat. When I was in college (285 - 315 lbs), we had to take a PE class, so I took independent study swimming. My instructor was amazed that my swimming workouts were on par with thin girls (even her younger sister who was fairly athletic).

I don't swim THAT much anymore, and the last time I took a water aerobics class I was 30 years old, and about 350 lbs. Still, I was able to keep up with younger and thinner ladies in the class, because the water evens the playing field by eliminating most of the effects of gravity. For treading water, it actually gives the overfat person the advantage (I was the envy of a stick thin friend because I could tread water for a long time and carry on a conversation while doing it - she had to fight with all her stregth to stay afloat. She thought it was strength and practice that allowed me to do it, and I almost let her believe it - but I filled her in, that fat is buoyant, and I couldn't sink if I tried).

Most places will let you sit in on at least one class free. If the arthritis class is too easy you can take (or try) a more advanced class. One thing that is really great about water classes too, is that you can modify the difficulty of your moves pretty easily (and usually in a way that isn't obvious, or often even visible) to classmates, so you can always keep up in a way that doesn't make you look like the queen klutz of the class.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:39 AM   #6  

I have a pool in my backyard, and bought a book on water aerobics. Amazon has a good number to chose from. I mostly do water jogging, or walking, in the deep water. I love it! I use those cheap noodles as a flotation device, and it makes my water workout pretty easy and cheap. I have positive feed back that it DOES work too. I am diabetic, and I check my glucose levels before and after my water workout. It is as effective, sometimes more, as walking the same amount of time. I can feel it in my muscles, but it is honestly the easiest exercise for me to stick to that I have ever tried! I dread when the weather turns cold and we have to close the pool.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:43 PM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi Martha

I haven't been to a class but have been doing aqua aerobics on my own for the past couple months... wow what a difference! I found a lot of resources just by googling, and also just made up a lot of them or adapted stuff I had learned from the gym, etc.

One thing I highly recommend is a pair of the foam water hand weights. I love mine and they are SO versatile; I can do so many types of exercises with them. There are quite a few of them on eBay for a good price.

Our pool here will close the end of the summer so I plan to go to a public pool after that also.

Good luck!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 08:16 PM   #8  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I used to take water aerobics classes when I was at my highest weight. I loved it. I wasn't embarrassed. Most of the people who were taking them were my size or larger or had health problems that prevented them from doing floor aerobics. I wanted to get back into these classes, but just can't afford a gym membership right now. By all means, don't wait. Try it, I think you will enjoy it.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:22 PM   #9  

Height: 5'8.5"

Another thing... you might check into whether there are community pools in your area where you pay a couple bucks to get in and no membership, etc. I know there are two of those reasonably close to me, and I plan to take advantage of them this winter when our outdoor pool here closes!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:22 PM   #10  
Momma on a Mission

Thank you all for so many great posts.

I have been away a few days and just got to check back in.

Hubby and I took our son to the pool yesterday and I got to meet the instructor of the aerobics class and some of her students. I really feel good about it. They all seem very open to new people. I don't know why I worry so much.

I also found out that we can take toddlers in the pool on floaty seats during open swim time. I did this with my son, he has been a little afraid of the water but he did great. I found I got a pretty good workout pushing him in his seat while kicking my legs. I just swam slow laps forward and back and felt great afterward! The lifeguard there was great and gave me lots of tips for helping him get used to the water and getting in a light workout myself at the same time. My hubby is about to get really busy traveling for work again, so he will only be able to go once a week with us. Maybe I can go a hour early for the aerobics class and let him join me with my son later.

Hopefully I can get everything moving and toned up real soon!

Thanks again for all the info!
Old 08-11-2006, 08:01 PM   #11  
banned

you can make up your own routines and go to the pool on your own i do it all the time do a search on aquatic equipment theres dumbells water belts cuffs all sorts of things.
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote