General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-21-2006, 09:59 PM   #1  
mom2cole

Default Need some paint color help!!!

I need some help chosing a color that will tone down some carpet in the house I am purchasing. The carpet is a deep red. I don't know who would put red carpet in a house but I am stuck with it now. I can't afford to replace it right now so I am looking for some paint colors to help tone it down some. I thought something in brown would work, beige, tan, sand color. What do you think?? Any other colors that might work? Dark or light?? Thanks for your help!!
mom2cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:45 PM   #2  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Id go for the sand color....and perhaps add another color. Im thinking the walls sand colored and some nick nacks black,,,cushions both black and sand tones...Instead of hiding the red,,,make it work for you.
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:53 PM   #3  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

My wife uses reds to tone "up" our beige carpet, sofa, chair and ottomans.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/190/130

Height: 5'1

Hi! I am a decorative painter and if you really want to tone it down then you should go with a green color. Not a Christmas green but like in the pistachio family. Always go to the color that is opposite the color you want to tone down on the color wheel. I promise you that if you find the right tone you will not be sorry. I would start by picking up some paint swatches of the red and bringing them home and picking the one that bests matches the carpet and then take it to a interior decorating store or a paint counter that knows what they are doing and let them know what you are wanting. It really will work though trust me. That is just my 2 cents though. Take care and God bless!
wenonah2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:14 AM   #5  

I think a red carpet looks great in a house with beige/off white colored walls and dark furniture. It brightens the area a lot. I want to put a red carpet under our dark brown dining table just to add character to the room...and also to put the focus on our expensive Dining table!!!
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:23 AM   #6  
Spanish Eyes

S/C/G: 338/318/180

Height: 5'6"

My first thought was beige, but I see that you were already thinking of that and a few people mentioned it also! But I still think it would look nice.
StephanieAZ82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:45 AM   #7  
mom2cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenonah2006
Hi! I am a decorative painter and if you really want to tone it down then you should go with a green color. Not a Christmas green but like in the pistachio family. Always go to the color that is opposite the color you want to tone down on the color wheel. I promise you that if you find the right tone you will not be sorry. I would start by picking up some paint swatches of the red and bringing them home and picking the one that bests matches the carpet and then take it to a interior decorating store or a paint counter that knows what they are doing and let them know what you are wanting. It really will work though trust me. That is just my 2 cents though. Take care and God bless!
After posting this last night I found a website that lets you put in colors and give complementing ones. I put in the red and found a green like you are talking about. I hope it works because my couch and love seat are a really light sage/green color and I was not wanting to cover them. Thank you everyone else. I still might go with sand if the green doesn't work.
mom2cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:30 AM   #8  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Personally, I would go with cream, off-white walls. I would find a multi-colored oriental rug with a similar color red, that I liked. I would then use it as a color guide ---pick out some of the colors and decorate the room.

In fact, if I really didn't care for the red carpet, I would probably buy an oriental rug and place it on top of the carpet (you can get some inexpensive ones that look pretty good and are very durable, made of polypropelene (sp?) that can actually be hosed off to clean them)
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:56 PM   #9  
Melting Butter

You should also check to see if you have hardwood floors under the carpet. If so, that might be a fix. Just polish the hardwood and wait on the carpet! I personally think hardwood floors are beautiful...moreso than carpet in some rooms.
healthyme05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 04:07 PM   #10  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

I like the "green family" idea as well. I bet the sage will look great!
icmethinner is offline   Reply With Quote