Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 10:52 AM   #1  

Height: 6'0"

Default Thin4Life - Week of Jul 17/06

Good morning-it's sunny here this morning, but storms are headed this way in the afternoon. It is hot, hot in Florida.

I had a busy weekend. I went to a planning meeting on Saturday which ended early surprisingly Then I worked in the yard again and did other regular chores.

On Sunday after church, I saw Devil Wears Prada and then had lunch with my GF. I highly recommend this movie. It was very entertaining.

I think I did all right foodwise. I tried to back off the sweets and snacks.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:16 AM   #2  
Ready to Offer Support!

Good morning Domina and others. Weather here in the Lone Star state is hot (what's new?) - going to be about 101 degrees today.

Sorry for the radio silence. Summer has just been so busy, and I apologize for not checking in more often. The website tells me that I haven't logged in since March. Yikes!

Since then, I have taken my kiddos (DS=15, DD=12) along on a business trip to San Jose/San Francisco for their Spring Break, my sister got married, I got a clean bill of health for cholesterol bloodwork, have continued to battle menstrual migraines (Imitrex is now my good friend!), am in the throes of a "restructuring" at my company (e.g., layoffs are imminent), have taken DS (sopohomore) on a couple of college visits, and earned a few new gray hairs as he started learning how to drive this summer. Geesh! I also took the kiddos to see Pirates of the C. this past weekend. Meh. We were all underwhelmed.

I also started back to WW in earnest. Am waayyy too far over goal, and wanted to get it in check before I have too many more joint problems. Am currently going to physical therapy for bursitis in my hips and a rotator cuff problem in my shoulder. Have been trying to get to the pool more often this summer (used to be a competetive swimmer back in the day) and it seems to really help my shoulder a lot each time I do it.

Am following Core and absolutely love it. DH, who has cholesterol issues, is loving it too. I may switch back and forth between Core and Flex if I hit a plateau eventually, just to keep things interesting, but for now I am really happy with Core. I love not having to count or weigh anything. So far, am down 7 lbs, but I still have about 30 more to go to get to my original goal weight (which was set nearly 20 years ago, before kids). May eventually re-set my goal weight -- well, I almost probably will. For now, though, I am just enjoying the relatively easy weight loss. Two new things I discovered b/c of core - corn grits (polenta) and quinoa. How did I ever live without them?

Lala - the new puppy sounds adorable. Hope the trip to Vancouver was lovely.

Lisa - love the new photo. (Well, at least it is new since March)You look great!! I was a waitress once - no fun at all!!

Susan - love your photo too. You are right, you look darn good!! Hope the back is feeling better.

Melissa - I can see the day, just over the horizon, when DS will be heading off to school. Hopefully, he won't be one of those last-minute registrations. Sounds like a hectic time for you. Hope the rugby picnic was fun. As for night-time snacking, I love it that microwave popcorn is a Core food. I eat it almost every night.

Pam - congrats on the 2 lb. weight loss. Did you like Pirates?

Hello to anybody I missed. Have a great week, all!
Old 07-17-2006, 12:30 PM   #3  

Austin, welcome back and congrats on the loss. How long did the 7 pound loss take? I've never tried Core, but I know that it works for many people. Sorry you have those migraines; my GF has those and they just wipe her out. She doesn't take Imetrex, she takes something else. She tried Topomax, but it made her dizzy. I've heard a good side effect of Topomax is weight loss.

Sorry too, about your joint problems. Swimming is supposed to be good exercise. Although I have a swimming pool; most times I just cool off in it. Aaaah, especially after working in the yard.

Okay, what is quinoa? How is it prepared?
Old 07-17-2006, 12:46 PM   #4  
Ready to Offer Support!

Lisa -

Quinoa is this ancient grain that was cultivated by the Incas. Went out of use for a long time, but was re-introduced in the US about 20 yrs ago. I use it as a rice substitute - the whole family likes it. It is a little bigger/more substantial than coucous, but is smaller, rounder, more delicate than rice. It only takes about 10-15 min. to cook. It is a core food, so I use it anywhere I would ordinaly use rice. My current favorite snack is a cool refrigerated salad made of quinoa (pronounced "keen-wa") mixed with corn, black beans, chopped onion, balsamic vinegar, minced garlic and a little fat free vinaigrette dressing. Completely core, and completely delicious! DD (12 yrs) and I just had it with a side of ff cottage cheese and pineapple for lunch.

Took since June 4 to lose the 7 lbs -- about 6 weeks. Slow, but steady.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:50 PM   #5  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

Just finally checking in.

Lisa - Okay, I'm going to the movies!

Austin - welcome back and you go girl!

What a day, it just never stopped being fun. (not) and its not even 4 pm.

Anyhoo the plan for tonight is haircut, brow wax, discuss hair coloring, run home, dremel puppy nails and then go water ppatch.

I am supposed to go to Boulder/Denver on Wednesday but now they want me to go on Thursday, fine with me, someone else will pay my ticket changes but just make up your minds.

Stay cool my east coast, southern and midwest friends.

lala
Old 07-18-2006, 07:41 AM   #6  

Austingal, I'll have to look for some quinoa. I like the salad idea too. You're losing weight the smart way.

lala, are you thinking of changing your haircolor? I sometimes have to dremel our birds' claws. Now there's a fun time!!

Hi, Melissa, Susan, Pam, and Julie.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:18 AM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

Good morning everyone!

Well the past 2 days have been extremely hot & humid--felt more like Florida weather than PA weather! It's a little cooler today but still humid. We're supposed to get some t'storms and I'm not sure that will cool things down a whole lot. The weekend looks promising.

We survived the summer programs and I'm wrapping things up before I go on vacation next week. I can't wait! Things went really smooth yesterday and I'm glad of that. I have an awesome student coordinator who really did great for her first year in the office--the bonus is that she'll be here again next summer!

Lisa: I did okay with eating over the weekend--it could have been better. I really need to watch the "mindless" picking! I want to see the Devil Wears Prada--it looks good.

Lala: Our garden is loving the hot, humid weather. We have peppers already forming & a couple are almost ready to pick, the tomatoes are doing great...I can't wait for fresh tomatoes!!

Austingal: Welcome back!! I love grits/polenta

I'll catch up a little more later--gotta finish up some things here.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:23 PM   #8  
si, si signora

Hi all.

I'm really late this morning. Just can't seem to get it together this morning.

Mmm. polenta sounds good. I forget about it. I can do without quinoa, its a bit bitter for me. However, israeli couscous, polenta, bulgur, mmmmm....

Lisa - I'll trade you a squirmy basset for a bird.

Melissa - Yeah for your new hire! Where are you vacationing?

The weather looks atrocious everywhere. I'm supposed to be in Denver tomorrow night and honestly, I can't muster the courage to look at the weather report.

Well, I cut all the remaining color out of my hair so it is back to dark brown with er, a few (20) gray hairs that are freaking me out. I may color it again, but it goes so light in the summer unless I wear a hat all the time, so it ain't going to happen.

The fall, the fall...

Well, back to making a powerpoint presentation for my meeting. Boring stuff I tell you.

Hi to everyone I missed!

lala
Old 07-19-2006, 11:41 AM   #9  
si, si signora

Hey, its me the threadkiller!

Hah.

My old volvo was broken into last night. Well, it was wide open and the crack addicts or whomever ripped out the stereo.

May a thousand fleas infest their nether regions and other horrible things.

Mine fault entirely, but the idiots didn't even check the back where my housekeys were.

So, I guess I'm lucky.

It has not been a good start to my very long day.

However, I hope everyone else is having a way better morning.

lala
Old 07-19-2006, 12:59 PM   #10  
Ready to Offer Support!

Good morning, all

lala - so sorry to hear about your stereo. What a bummer.

My day isn't going too badly. I had a meeting this morning that went well. Atmosphere is gloomy, though. A round of layoffs is rumored to be imminent, so that makes for a rather distracting and demoralizing work environment.

Foodwise, things are going well. Had leftover fish curry over quinoa for lunch. Plan to have whole wheat spaghetti with homemade sauce tonight. Need to chug the water today - it is hot, hot, hot. Was triple-digit heat the past two days. Tried to swim for my exercise yesterday, but the pool was too hot to really work hard. Guess the sun just heated it up too much -- felt like bathwater.

Hi to Melissa, Lisa, Pam, Susan and all others.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:10 PM   #11  
si, si signora

Austin,

Are you talking about my place of work or yours?

Fingers crossed your job is safe.

Fish curry sounds interesting. Please post recipe.

lala
Old 07-19-2006, 01:46 PM   #12  
Ready to Offer Support!

lala

Was talking about mine. Hope you aren't going through the same thing. If so, my fingers are crossed for you, too!

Fish Curry - Basic recipe is from Cooking Light, I made a few changes. Calls for halibut fillets, but I used either orange roughy or tilapia, can't remember which. Also, I added about 1.5 C of frozen green beans, cuz the family isn't too crazy about a curry of just fish, no matter how yummy the sauce it is floating around in.

1 T. chopped peeled fresh ginger
1 T. water
1 t. ground coriander
1 t. ground cumin
1/4 t. ground tumeric (go light on this, has a bitter flavor, but gives a nice yellow color)
1/4 t. crushed red pepper (I opted to use about 1/2 t. red Thai curry paste instead)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 t. freshly ground pepper, divided
2 t. canola oil
1/4 C. finely chopped onion
1 14 oz can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
3T. fresh lemon juice
3/4 C. light coconut milk
4 (6 oz) halibut fillets
1/2 t. salt
4 t. chopped fresh parsley for garnish (opt.)

Combine 1st 7 ingredients in a small bowl with 1/4 t. of the black pepper.
Sprinkle each side of fish fillets with a little salt, the remaining pepper and a little of the tumeric, rub in. Spray non-stick pan with olive oil flavored cooking spray. Cook fish, turning once, until just done - thick parts may still be a little undercooked.
Remove fish from pan. Add the 2t. canola oil to the pan.
Cook onion 3 min, stirring occasionally. Add ginger mixture, cook 1 min. while stirring. Add broth (I added green beans here as well).
Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 min or until beans are tender. Add coconut milk and juice; simmer 2 min.
Add fish to pan and simmer until the fish flakes easily with a fork; split the fish into bite-size pieces with the stirring spoon. Garnish with parsley, if desired.

4 servings (1 fillet and 1/4 C. sauce): 260 Cal., 8.8 g. fat, .08 g fiber (without green beans)

I served this over quinoa, and offered as a topping a raita made of fat free yogurt mixed with chopped scallions, chopped tomatoes and chopped cucumbers.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:30 PM   #13  

Height: 5'7"

Hi all! I'm trying my best to keep my eyes open this afternoon, my co-worker commented that there is NO transition from orientation mode to quiet...it's just a dead, screeching halt! I think my phone has rung twice and they were both calls from DS and a friend. My boss took the afternoon off and I'm pretty much caught up with all my work. I've been working on my bills *sigh*

Austingal: I've tried quinoa but it's not one of my favorites. I'd much rather eat barley It's warm & humid here but not like what you're experiencing. I've been drinking more water to stay hydrated. I've had heat exhaustation once and I don't want to experience it again! I've taken my walking indoors with the heat/humidity.

Lala: You can be thankful that they just took the stereo and didn't get into the house. It's still discouraging though isn't it? They say what goes around comes around so hopefully in the future they will pay for the stereo in some way. We're heading to my cousin's first (North Tonawanda NY) and will go to the annual Canalfest--I can't wait! The local churches sell homemade pierogies and other "Polish soul food". Monday we leave for Gettysburg/Hershey and will return home on Friday sometime. I'm looking forward to getting away. I've been checking out the area for farmer's markets, etc. I love getting different foods to try.

Lisa: Hope you're staying cool! I know this time of year in FL can be brutal.

I was down .6 at the scale today and was happy with that; now I just need to kind of be careful while I'm on vacation. I know I'll enjoy myself and I think because I'm not at home and food isn't readily available that I won't be snacking as much. TOM is also due to arrive next week...doesn't it just figure?!

Hi to Pam, Susan, Julie! Hope you're all doing well!
Old 07-19-2006, 04:02 PM   #14  

lala, how awful about your stereo. Such creeps out there!

Austin, been there, that is so horrible when the rumors are flying. At one of my past employers, the rumors were flying and then they weren't rumors anymore. I was told, "no problem, your job is safe." A month later I was layed off too. Yuck.

Melissa, sorry you're bored. I guess it's feast or famine at the school. The Canalfest sounds like fun--mmm pierogies. I like the Gettysburg area. It's very historic and pretty, too.

All of you are having hot weather; I hope it cools down some. You're no different than here. It's true that the pool feels like a bathtub, but it's still refreshing.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:04 AM   #15  
si, si signora

Ack, in longmont/boulder. its late and i'm still trying to wrap up work.
Yikes.

happy thursday.

lala
Closed Thread