Old 07-15-2006, 07:59 AM   #1  
MEL

S/C/G: 175/175/130

Height: 5'2

Default Fitday Users....

Hello ladies....

I am interested in using Fitday to help in my weightloss and I have a question. How do you figure up the cals and stuff with recipes that don't have all that info? I hope you understand what I am asking. I usually post to the JC forum, but I think I am going to post here too. You guys have a great forum.
par12199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:13 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I take a blank day and enter all the recipe ingredients. Then I split the recipe stats into a single serving and enter the figures into the Food Explorer Section. Then I go back and delete the food items in the day I've chosen.
I hope this helps.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:19 AM   #3  
MEL

S/C/G: 175/175/130

Height: 5'2

Thanks for your help, but I am still confused. It doesn't take much for me. )
par12199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:58 AM   #4  
Lifetime Loser

Hi Melissa, good to see you here....I am doing the calorie counting as well. Still eating every 3 hrs. and drinking my water (or trying to). I don't know a different way to do it, just measure the ingredients and find the calories the first time you make it...ck out the food explorer section like Ruth suggested.

Phyllis
floridarusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/200

Height: 5'5

I have went to fitwatch.com in the past, they have a recipe analyzer. I suppose I could do it on Fitday like Ruth said though.
cardsfan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by par12199
Hello ladies....

I am interested in using Fitday to help in my weightloss and I have a question. How do you figure up the cals and stuff with recipes that don't have all that info? I hope you understand what I am asking. I usually post to the JC forum, but I think I am going to post here too. You guys have a great forum.
I created a blank template in Excel that has columns for each of the Fitday attributes (calories, fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, protein, fiber, etc etc). The first column is blank, this is where I add each ingredient. For example, if I'm trying to find the recipe for home made pasta sauce, I would have the following rows: tomato, sun dried tomato, morning star farm veggie crumbles, mushrooms, cooking wine, olive oil. I would fill in each column for each ingredient.

When I'm done, I use Excel to sum the totals for each Fitday category column (total number of calories - adding all ingredients up, total amount of fat --adding all ingredients up, etc).

Then, I open Fitday and create a new custom food. I name the food and then enter all the totals. This gives me the total for the recipe. If the recipe makes 4 servings, when I add the food to a day's menu, I enter a serving size of .25 (1/4 of the total).

It sounds hard, but it's just time consuming. I hear that the PC version is MUCH easier for this. Now that I've been using Fitday for 6 months, I have nearly all my normal custom recipes entered so it's much easier.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 154/145/125

most of my recipes are stirfries... so i just add in the ingrdients-- like "broccoli, frozen, fat added in cooking" in the amoutns that i think i ate. for baked goods, usually fit day will have it already in there, so i estimate. if the calories seem off, i adjust the portion so the calories match the calories i consumed (like if i know the recipe makes cookies to be 100 cal, but fit says the cookies are 130, i'll play around with my entry until the cookie reads 100).

none of this is that accurate, but the fitday burn is not accurate either i'm sure. but at least you get a rough estimate of where you are at and you can check your habits over time-- that's what fitday is best for.

i really like the excel idea, by the way
kms7z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:19 AM   #8  

Height: 5' 8.5"

I also sometimes use www.nutritiondata.com There is a page that lets you analyze your recipes and gives you a complete breakdown of calories and such.
djstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:54 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 154/145/125

just to add, i usually cross reference with calorieking or someother website. this morning fit day say 1/3 cup of millet was 250 calories. i had used millet flour, and thought that to be high, and i found on calorie king that 1/3 of millet flour was 130. so i adjusted the raw millet quantity to read 130 and the nutrients were the same.
kms7z is offline   Reply With Quote