Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-13-2006, 09:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 281/264/145

Height: 5'5"

Question Lap Band Pre-Op diet

My surgery is scheduled for July 24th. I am currently on day four of this 2 week liquid diet and I am starving. For those not familiar, I am allowed to have 4 protein shakes daily and 2 cups of vegetables total if I feel hungry. Has anyone else gotten through this? How did you do it? Also, did anyone cheat at this point? I'm not talking big cheat like eating junk food. I mean like all I want is a sandwich or a bowl of cereal. I just want something of substance to stop my stomach from growling. I'm so hungry, I am afraid my coworkers can hear my stomach growling through the cubicle walls! Help!
PSUshorti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:58 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hello PSU,

The reason why doctors have you do this sort of diet is to help shrink the liver (fatty) so it makes it easier for the doctor during surgery to place the band.

Every doctor is different. I did not have to do the pre-op diet. My doc said to enjoy and eat what I wanted until 12 midnight the night before surgery...so I did.

I do know a few folks who had to do the pre-op diet and did cheat... but not on junk. What they did was eat some low fat protein such as chicken, fish. Not alot but enuf to hold them over and not every day.

I'm not telling you to do this, because IMHO we should stick to what our doctors prescribe...its for our own good, so you might want to call him and ask if you can have some fish or ckn.

Good luck
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:41 AM   #3  
Prove it !

S/C/G: 403/320/230

Height: 5/8

Smile Hang in there

It will be rough but you have to stay strong use your mind when your eating picture the food as a soild food somthing you like and eat real slow that is what i did and it worked for me and still is. I am 8 month in and have lost 83 pounds i tell my self prove it! and by saying that i have to prove it to myself each and every day. Prove it! its not a question. its a statement.
jessezam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

Hang in there! I found some protein shakes filled me up more than others. I ended up liking the EAS myoplex lite made with milk - it would last me 4 hours most of the time. My doctor had me do two shakes a day and one small, high protein, low fat/calorie meal a day and I found that easier to stick to. If I was really starving I'd have a small piece of cheese or a handful of nuts - something with protein.

The first 3-5 days are the hardest. If you are really struggling after this, call the doctor and he might ok something to help out (like meat or another solid, lean protein).

Just keep visualizing how few days remain and you'll get there!
kfs151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 281/264/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Thanks

Thanks so much for the support. I have made it through the 2 weeks (although I must admit, I cheated a bit) and my surgery went fine and much to my surprise, my surgeon said that my liver was optimal for the procedure. I am currently 7 days post-op and I feel fine except this nagging pain in my left shoulder.
PSUshorti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:43 PM   #6  

Hi PSUshortie,

Glad to hear you made it through just fine. Every day just gets better from here on out. The nagging pain in your left shoulder is gas from the surgery and will go away very soon. I had it too and know it's very common.

Hang in there and welcome to the other side!

Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote