Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-13-2006, 09:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/?/150

Height: 5'5"

Question Shoes

Hi,

I have a question. I hate excersise but have recently quit smoking so I am watching what I eat and trying to work out. I walk my dogs and do some beginner aerobic tapes at home. My question is what kind of running shoes should I buy. I have been told that you should have one type for running and one type for aerobics and walking. I definately don't have to worry about the running part yet but I want to make sure I get a good pair of shoes to walk and do aerobics in. Money is also fairly limited so I am looking at spending around $100. Any suggestions. Also I live in Canada so it would have to be a brand name I can get here.

Thanks so much for your help you guys are great.

Christina
silverangel27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:22 AM   #2  

Well, I bought a pair of Saucony (grid cohesion) running shoes that I use for walking and jogging. I love them. They are so light, that when I put my regular gym shoes back on, I feel like I have weights on. You can purchase them on eBay if you already know your fit. If not, I believe everyone will tell you to go have a professional fitting if you are serious about running.
webweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:34 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Hi, Christina!

I bought a pair of Saucony as well. The same as Webweevil's... grid. I paid about $130 for them, and I love them! They're light and well balanced.
If you have any sports shops near you, I'd recommend going to one for a proper fitting, regardless of what brand you decide to buy. They'll look at how you walk, and will tell you exactly what you need.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:35 AM   #4  

Webweevil... do your Saucony's smell? I mean, not from your feet. My trainer mentioned this when I bought them (his wife wears the same brand)... that there's sort of a "barnyard" smell about the soles...
Old 07-13-2006, 11:48 AM   #5  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I love New Balance shoes - they're about $100, and really light, and if you have bad ankles you can get them with a "roll bar" of denser material on the soles to help prevent rolling. I've been using New Balance for about 5 years now... and I'd go for cross trainers, whichever type you get. I run a couple of times a week and do a lot of other sports, as well, and find that these are fine. I think if you're running really regularly and for a few miles each time you'd want to look at separate shoes, but otehrwise don't worry about it. Hope you find some you like!
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:16 PM   #6  

I'm from Canada also. I go to Athlete's World and talk to the guy. I generally get a cross trainer. I am not a runner, but use them for lifting and cardio. So far, I have been very pleased with whatever he has sold me. It's usually around $75-80 plus tax.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 154/145/125

you can find good brands (nike, addidas, etc.) on sale in the US for $30-$50. These shoes are often last season's models or overstocks-- A&N usually has good deals.

I run 10-25 mpw and do some elliptical, weight lifting, and group classes. I use my new pair for running, and when i've put too many miles on them (after 6-12 mos) i delegate them for non-running (i.e. walking, elliptical, kickbox) activities.
kms7z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:41 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I also have a pair of Saucony running shoes. Though mine aren't light. My feet needed more padding and stabilization...plus a special fit. I have wide feet with very narrow heels. So I was able to find a pair that have some hefty heel stabilizers, are well cushioned, come in a wide width, but maintain a narrow heel.

Regardless of the brand you get though, make sure they work for you. Tips for choosing the right running shoe: http://www.running4women.com/starting_out.php?subid=1
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:43 AM   #9  

Ellis,
Do my shoes smell? LOL The shoes do have a unique smell. I never noticed until I stuck my nose down in the shoes. The smell is not noticed when the shoes are "used" in a normal manner.
webweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:14 AM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I love New Balance too. I haven't seen them with the "roll bar" so I have to start looking for it, as my right foot rolls to the outside fairly severely. JC Penney in the mall routinely has a sale at least twice a year in which they're only $35 to $45, so I buy them then.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:32 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by webweevil
Ellis,
Do my shoes smell? LOL The shoes do have a unique smell. I never noticed until I stuck my nose down in the shoes. The smell is not noticed when the shoes are "used" in a normal manner.
I only noticed it because I keep mine in a cloth bag hanging in the hall. I'd walk in the door and think, "Did someone visit a farm today and leave their mucky boots in the hall?"
My trainer said the same thing... his wife keeps hers in their hall, and he reels everytime he walks in the door. heh heh

That's a good site, AlmostHeaven! Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-14-2006, 08:23 PM   #12  

I bought "Nike walking and runnig" for 30 dollars in sportsmart. They were on clearance. I love them!
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

When I was running last year, I literally bought and returned three pairs of shoes before I found one that didn't give me blisters. They are new balanace and were about $60 at Academy Sports and Outdoors (which is mostly Southern). I love them.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:58 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 154/145/125

i've heard saucony's are better for "heavy runners"-- keep in mind a heavy runner is is not that heavy-- like over 120 or something for a 5'4" woman!

also, new balances give my mom and me terrible blisters. maybe we just have funny feet?
kms7z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:13 PM   #15  

I just went to jcpenny today and got two Nike's, the same model and color, but they were a very good deal for about 35 total each. I had gotten some NB but they are just to firm in the arch areas on some and right above that on others. I tried on one nike and was hooked. I honestly liked some other nikes that were a a bit more costly for each pair, but I wanted two pairs (bought together easily in my price range) and these were very comfortable too. I agree try on a few different brand names.

As for the TYPE u should get some crosstrainers for aerobics and walking. Some people use them to run too. Unless u feel more comfortable running in running shoes later or run a significant amount during the week, then these would be reasons to get a running shoe and a seperate crosstrainer for ur other activities.
Yet as I said crosstrainers can be used for any activity most of the time, esp. if u do various activities in the week.
tobetheman is offline   Reply With Quote