Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-11-2006, 02:28 PM   #1  
Wannabe Loser

S/C/G: 210/205/150

Height: 5'9

Default Xanax- Weight Gain, Sexual side effects?

I've been having quite a boatload of anxiety recently.
I've taken xanax before and it has made things bareable for me. Nothing like a norma daily dose, but just in times when I felt that I needed it.

I'm still dedicated to my weight loss. I don't want anything that will make it harder then it already has to be. I was on depo provera for some time and was unable to do anything but steadily gain weight, even 2 years after use. I don't want to make the same kind of mistake with medications.

So, I'd like to maybe get on a normal dose of xanax, but I'm not sure if it has long term weight effects, or sexual side effects. I do know that it is possibly addictive if it isn't perscribed correctly, but thats all.

Thanks =3
jenifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 287.5/287.5/250

Height: 5'3"

I take Klonopin, which I believe is a similar type med to Xanax, and have even taken Xanax, and I didnt have any side effects as far as gaining weight or sexual side effects. But I cant say that for some of the antidepressants Ive taken...lol.
HollyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:16 PM   #3  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Having been diagnosed with clinical depression twice in my life, and now seemingly going thru a 3rd time, I can say - I HAVE TAKEN NEARLY EVERY PILL AVAILABLE TO MANKIND!

Some meds I gained weight; some of them I didn't. But I decided my mental health had to come first.

I have taken (in no certain order)
*Prozac
*Paxil
*Celexa
*Wellbutrin
*Zoloft

I gained 30 pounds on Paxil. Then my doctor told me "I've never prescribed Paxil to a woman who didn't gain at least 30 pounds." I had crazy sexual side effects from Zoloft and Prozac. Both Celexa and Wellbutrin seem to work best for me.

I am currently on wellbutrin, and supposedly, most people don't gain weight, and they might even lose a few. My doctor and I have had to "play" with the dosage to find out what works best for me. Right now I'm at 300mg. And at the end of a day at work, I find that I have little to no energy to hit the gym. But OH! Silver lining! -I HAVE noticed that my appetite has decreased a bit. SO

If you want to know & understand the side effects of xanax, do a google search "side effects of xanax" - I'll bet you get a whole boatload of info that way!

....good luck to you....
~peace out!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

http://www.drugs.com/xanax.html
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:28 PM   #5  
Lovin' being Vegan

S/C/G: 168/153/135

im on Paxil Xanax and Klonopin and i am losing weight. but now im going to ask about paxil cause they want to up my dosage. lol. and i dont want my weight upped with it!
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

Im on xantax and personally if I never started taking them I probaly would have been better off. I blew up like a blimp when I was taking xantax, VERY VERY addicting. Its a short term answer but very hard to get off of, you need to be monitored so you dont have seizures.

IVE GOne though **** and back trying to get off xantax and cant
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:35 PM   #7  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

I"ve been on xanax for 15 years in combination of other drugs, I'm a nurse and I never heard of anyone gaining on xanax
purplepansy912 is offline   Reply With Quote