Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-10-2006, 10:42 PM   #1  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Default How often to you change your cardio routine?

How often do you change your cardio routine and how important is this? I work with a personal trainer on weights and he really wants me to change my cardio routine that I follow on the days I don't train with him. Not just change it one time, but do something slightly different every day. I, on the other hand, really really don't want to change my routine. I'm paying the guy, so you would think I would just listen to him and quit whining about it , but you don't know how attached I am to my current routine. I've worked this routine out to give me the maximum calorie burn in the minimum time. If I change to different machines, I'll either have to work out longer or not burn as many calories. Plus, I like the machines I use now (I do a combo of the elliptical on treadmill on Tues and Thurs and the treadmill only on Sat and Sun--I'm particularly attached to the treadmill for reasons I cannot explain).

So, I'm just curious. Do you change your routine or do you pretty much do the same cardio workout every time you go to the gym? If you do change your routine, do you think it helps? Was there a time when you didn't change it and you found yourself plateauing?

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:57 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

I change the routine pretty regularly... I love to run outside most of the time but when I can't because of heat or rain, I find the dreadmill excruciatingly boring so I must do something different to play mind games so the time goes by faster... I do hight intensity training, I do inclines and hills, I'll do speed work... I bike, swim and just lately I've gotten back into rollerblading again... I like variety, it's the spice of life. Listen to your trainer he knows of what he speaks of ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:59 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Ooops, just a couple of questions... How long have you been doing this same workout? Have you reached a plateau doing this workout?
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:13 PM   #4  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I prefer to change my routine as often as possible - especially in the summer. Right now i do whatever I feel like doing that day - tennis, basketball, hiking, kayaking, cycling, swimming, etc. On the days I do go to the gym, I do 2 different classes per week (boxerfit and spinning) and I change between stationary bike, treadmill, eliptical, and stairclimber. I get bored if I don't change it up, so I kinda have to if I'm going to stick with anything.
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:19 AM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

I get bored doing the same thing all the time. Now that it's nice out, I like to be outdoors,either riding my bike or hiking or just long walks. Winter time I switch between elliptical, treadmill and classes. And I do different things on the machine. Variety is the key that keeps me exercising....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:17 AM   #6  
Vegan

S/C/G: 255/Ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

Every time I exercise I try to keep it different. Mondays I do something with the kids, Tuesdays a class at the gym or treadmill, Wednesday spinning, Thursday off or walk at home outside, friday gym-whatever I feel like (usually a mix of elliptical,treadmill,bike and row). Saturdays I try to swim, at the local pool or the beach, Sundays usually off or walk.

Actually I have read if you do the same workout all the time your body becomes more efficient at that workout and therefore burns less calories. I think mixing it up challenges new muscles and encourages new ways to burn.
kierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:21 AM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Ilene,
I've been doing this particular workout for about a month now. I pretty much do the elliptical at the same level the whole time, but on the treadmill I am changing the speed every 5 to 10 minutes and I include some time at my highest speed (but I follow the same pattern every time--I like routine). I also set the treadmill on a 3.5 incline for the whole run. Before this workout, I did a combo of elliptical and stair machine for about 2-3 months. Before that I was running outside two days a week and doing combo of elliptical and stairs one day a week. I just couldn't take running outside--too many complicating factors (cramps, weather, hip pain, time of day, etc.).

I'm not really losing pounds (well maybe losing 2 pound per month), but I am still losing inches and body fat. I've dropped 2.5% body fat in the last three weeks, so I don't think I'm at a plateau, although I often feel that way because of the lack of progress on the scale.

I am a total klutz, so sports that require hand-eye coordination, like tennis, etc. don't work for me. My SO and I have started playing tennis one day a week but we are so bad that it really isn't much of a workout. It's more like walking around a tennis court picking up balls for an hour--LOL. And I don't have a bicycle, so that's out. We do go hiking occasionally, but it's time consuming so once every couple of months is about all we can manage.

I'll probably end up doing what my trainer tells me to do. I usually struggle with it for a while and then end up going along. But it is helpful to hear what others are doing.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:29 AM   #8  
itsforme

S/C/G: 189/174/140

I have a hard time with this as I am a creature of habit. Although I do add things such as biking or other activities, as far as "structured" exercise, I do the same DVD for an hour every day. I'm finding I'm not losing like I used to. I've added weights every other day. I'll see if that helps to jump start things again.
itsforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:20 AM   #9  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

I change mine around alot, depending on the seasons. During the nicer weather, I go to several tracks and jog/run. I do jumprope in my driveway, sometimes with the kids, sometimes alone. Never underestimate the cardio power of the hula hoop and jumprope, lol. I also swim and do water sports- we have a basketball net that lies in the water, and we've had some pretty challenging games of basketball in the water! Rollerskating has also helped me with my cardio- I work up a great sweat while having fun!

During the winter months, I love to cross country ski or go snowshoeing. Although I don't get to do those too often, they are also a nice break from the machines that I use daily when the weather isn't so great out.

I save the machines for indoor times- rainy days and winter. When it's nice out, I do something else- it makes it more fun and takes away the monotony of doing the same old routine over and over again.

So long as your exercising and having fun, do what you want! Make it fun and enjoyable, and you'll stick to it.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:54 AM   #10  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

I agree with Steelslady: the most important thing is to enjoy yourself and keep it up. However, that being said, I would caution you that if you only do one type of cardio workout, even if you have figured out what you think is the most efficient one possible, after a while it just won't burn the same as it did before and actually might become less efficient than those other exercises. Our bodies get used to what we put them through. Use one set of muscles in one set of motions, and they will get more and more efficient at doing those motions- causing you to lose less cals in the same amount of time even if you are slowly upping the intensity and despite what the machine's calculator might tell you.

Will it make the difference between losing and gaining? Probably not, but if what you are looking for really is "maximum burn per time", you might be doing a disservice by not switching around the program regularly and developing more muscles through more movements.
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote