WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/280/200

Height: 5'4

Default things to go with salsa

Anyone know anything that low in points but goes good with salsa? i love salsa but tortilla chips seem liek alot of points....ive also tried celery which was gross....i just wnat t good snack w/salsa...any ideas?
Old 07-09-2006, 10:27 PM   #2  

I know you said "snack", but I love salsa and use it as much as I can in any meal I can think of-

In the morning I sometimes scramble two/three egg whites, top with some FF cheddar and 2T of jarred salsa- if you want throw it in a ww tortilla or low carb tortilla- instant breakfast burrito, definately less than 200 calories.

You could also make a baked chicken dish with chicken breasts, top with salsa, and bake until done at 350 degrees....top with FF cheddar and some FF sour cream.

My girlfriend made a killer recipe a couple weeks ago with baked grouper fillet in boston lettuce (wraps) and we topped with avocado dressing, salsa, fresh cilantro and fresh squeezed lemon. soooooo good.

Baked tortilla chips and some homemade salsa wont be overkill though- Enjoy!
Old 07-09-2006, 11:10 PM   #3  
hara hachi bu

Yes, I bake tortilla chips by taking corn tortillas, cutting them into chip-sized pieces, sprinkling with cayenne pepper, and baking at 400 for about 10 minutes (I got this idea here on 3FC somewhere).

Another 3FC idea I use ... take salsa, mix in shrimp, cilantro, avocado, and green onion. Serve with the chips above.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:47 AM   #4  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

have you tried rice crackers? i have the plain ones and the seaweed flavoured ones at home. the plain ones are perfect with a tomato based salsa and 10 of them are 1 point.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:56 AM   #5  
it's always something

My brother told me about an idea he learned from Weight Watchers. He made a Mexican style salad using lettuce, onions, tomatoes, grated light cheese, crumbled baked tortilla chips, and salsa as a salad dressing. I tried it and really liked it
Old 07-10-2006, 07:57 AM   #6  

salsa as salad dressing, also I love salsa with cottage cheese- on top of a veggie burger, very yummy! Also salsa in a baked potato.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:47 AM   #7  
Cowboy Up Chick

I will tell you I think salsa goes with everything. Try all kinds of raw veggies for one.

As stated in one post it is an awesome zero point salad dressing.

I serve it over steaks, chicken, pork chops, cube steaks (both pork and beef) and hamburgers.

It's great on baked potatoes.'

Fab on scrambled eggs and omelets.

Also if you want tortilla strips/chips try the baked ones or if you can 'stomach' it the Light Tostitos (made with olestra). Some one mentioned you can make your own tortilla chips....I make them once in a while too...corn tortilla (I get Arizona Brand they are 2 for 1 point) cut into strips isntead of wedges and spray with a bit of oil and bake then sprinkle with salt as soon as they come out.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:44 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/176.6/155

Height: 5'9"

I agree that salsa goes on everything. My favorite meal application is toast with a poached egg with salsa and, sometimes, fat free sour cream on top. I've done the salsa and sour crem without the toast too.

I also use it when I make the vegetable soup. I make a variation on the "Free vegetable soup" that ends up being like one point and the soup base is usually beef broth, diced tomatoes and salsa. Then I add the vegetables I like, which includes alot of one pointers (hence it being one point instead of zero).

For snacks, try salsa on corn cakes. There's a brand that makes super thin multi-grain corn cakes that end up being like 4 for one point. I personally like salsa and cottage cheese on these, but I think just corn cakes and salsa would go well too.
Closed Thread