General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 09:38 PM   #1  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Default Any Horse Riders Here?

I had given up riding horses because of my weight. I am now ready to get back into riding. I do not own my own horse anymore. How do I get back into the groove?
Old 07-07-2006, 09:57 PM   #2  
mom2cole

Don't!!!! Horses are way too expensive!!! Sorry I have not had horses for almost 4 years and it has been soo nice not having to spend hundreds of dollars every month for feed, shelter, shoes and vet bills and repair to fences. Maybe go to a local stable and offer to exercise horses so you can ride and not have to pay for the care of them? Sorry, I was soured on horses, guess I never bonded with any of them, but if you have the time and money for one go for it! Did I mention how nice it is not to have to get up early to feed them and stay up late feeding again and cleaning stalls??? I would find a friend who needs a horse exercised or offer at a stable someone always needs some help.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:23 PM   #3  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

I stopped horsebackriding due to my weight as well. You don't need to own a horse to get back in the groove. You can go to your nearest stable (maybe county stable) and rent horses. I am going to re-take some lessons as well I think.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:07 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2cole
Don't!!!! Horses are way too expensive!!! Sorry I have not had horses for almost 4 years and it has been soo nice not having to spend hundreds of dollars every month for feed, shelter, shoes and vet bills and repair to fences. Maybe go to a local stable and offer to exercise horses so you can ride and not have to pay for the care of them? Sorry, I was soured on horses, guess I never bonded with any of them, but if you have the time and money for one go for it! Did I mention how nice it is not to have to get up early to feed them and stay up late feeding again and cleaning stalls??? I would find a friend who needs a horse exercised or offer at a stable someone always needs some help.
Way to encourage someone to make constructive changes and live their life after losing weight.

I grew up with horses - got up to feed them, stayed up with them when they were sick, rode, raced, roped and loved every minute of it. They were there when I needed somewhere to go hide and cry, and they were inextricably linked with the best times in my life. I wish I had somewhere to have some now.

HadEnough, I think the idea of exercising stable horses is a good one - good luck!
Old 07-10-2006, 11:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/154/140

Height: 5'7

I miss riding too I used to ride my brother's horses all the time, and I was in reasonable shape because I took over alot of their exercising! I'd feed them, work on halter training and all that good stuff...lots of walking and lifting and just general activity. We moved up here and I started gaining weight because I'm in the stoooopid city and I sat in the house all day everyday.

My only request for when hubby gets out of the Navy and we settle back into civilian life is to relocate me into the country so I can have horses and dogs again.

I hope you find a way to ride again, and soon! I won't even try up here because every place that I've called only do English riding, no western....I'm not comfortable with that sort of riding at all. Guess that's what I get for being a transplanted southern gal in the big ole north.

Kim
Old 07-11-2006, 02:56 PM   #6  
Simply Noble

S/C/G: 320/258/175

Height: 5'4"

Hi there. I have not been back in this forum for ages but I'm still on track although very slowly. Anyway I ride horses and only almost quit when I was at over 300 pounds but for other reasons.
Last witner I rode almost every day and lost 10 pounds over the winter! Riding is a great way to get your excercise.
I just bought the mare I have been leasing lover her so much and she motivates me to keep at it because it is such a joy to be on her back and see the beauty in nature. Not to mention loosing weight makes it easier for her.

I'd reccomend looking for a horse to lease locally. Leasing is a great way to get into and used to everthing involved in owning a horse without the commitment and expense of buying a horse. Baby is my third horse and I only leased her because I liked her and she was not for sale. I finally asked her owner if she'd let my buy gher and I became her owner last week.

She is a 9 year old registered standardbred. Her name is Simply Noble but her barn name is Baby. She and I spend hours out on the trails and I love her dearly. She keeps me going.

Hope you find as much joy in horses as I do and don't let the money thing stop you. I am hardly in a position to afford a horse and I give up a lot so I can have her. It's so worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00_00017.jpg (27.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 00_00003.jpg (29.2 KB, 7 views)
Closed Thread