Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-07-2006, 08:19 PM   #1  

Smile Swimming anyone?

I have started taking swimming lessons this summer (just completed one class so far). I just wanted to know how long would it typically take to learn swimming? (No, I have never done swimming before)

Also When I try to breath inside the water, I tend to sprain my neck and shoulders a lot. Any tips/advice?
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:17 AM   #2  

Well done on starting to swim! As I learnt as a child I can't tell you how long it will take, and I think it depends on a lot of factors, so just keep going!

As for the neck and shoulders, the movements in swimming are pretty specific and repetitive so it may just be your muscles getting used to it, you may not be doing anything wrong.

If you have any fear of the water, you might be straining and tensing your muscles, so try and be aware of and deal with those emotions and relax as much as you can.

I love swimming, it's my favourite thing to do!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:24 AM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Talk to your swim instructor about the trouble you are having with breathing. I'm sure there are things he/she can do to help you. I used to teach swim lessons and I would have my students practice breathing with their feet on the bottom of the pool while holding onto the side of the pool. It's a good way to get a feel for the motion without the added stress of trying to float at the same time. Once they got that down, I would have them add floating and kicking to the mix (with breathing, still holding on to the side of the pool). Then we would move on to actual swimming. Of course, this was 20 years ago, so your instructor probably has some new tricks. It can take awhile to get the motion down and to feel comfortable with it.

Swimming is a great cardio exercise because you have to hold your breath while you do it. But having to hold your breath can also make it tricky to learn; it can take awhile to get comfortable with it. Often times people will try to push themselves too far out of the water when taking a breath or turn their head too far, especially if they are afraid of swallowing water or not getting enough air. It's impossible for me to know without seeing your stroke, but this might be why you are feeling a strain in your shoulders and neck.

Swimming also works muscles that we don't normally use (another reason why it is such a great workout), so you might just be sore because your muscles aren't used to the workout yet.

You also might want to try a different stroke. You might be more comfortable with breast stroke (where almost your whole head comes out of the water), side stroke, or back stroke (no trouble breathing there). Eventually you'll want to master the crawl if you want to swim for cardio exercise, but you might be better off starting with a different stroke until you are comfortable in the water.

Everyone learns to swim at their own pace, the biggest factor being how comfortable you are in the water. Adults were at the same time my easiest students (because they could understand what I was telling them to do and easily apply it--5 year olds just cannot do this) and my hardest (because they had a lifetime of fear of the water ingrained in them). If you are comfortable in the water, you'll probably learn very quickly. If you are working through some ingrained fears, it can take a little longer.

Stick with it and I'm sure you'll like it. I am a complete klutz and miserable at most sports. Swimming is the only sport where I have ever felt confident, graceful, and in control of my body. Unfortunately it ruins my hair, so I don't do it much these days.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:50 PM   #4  

Thanks Barbara. yes I think u are right. It was only my first swimming lesson...so may be I am getting used to it..my muscles are new to this. I havent learnt any strokes yet...just floating and breathing. I guess the fear will take its own time to go!
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:16 AM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Yes, absolutely. The more you are in the water, the more comfortable and less afraid you'll be. And the breathing will be easier once you are learning strokes.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:35 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi... well I am a swimmer from long ago but glad you are learning... it is a great sport and so good for you. I have no idea how long it will take you... I think it varies with the individual and the instructor, and also how "expert' you want to become. But I do concur that as you become more adept you will become much more comfortable in the water and it will feel much more natural! You go!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:01 AM   #7  
searching 4 the real me

Swimming is so much fun. It does vary with each individual person. If you are tensing up, just try to relax a little bit more. The more you are in the water, the more comfortable you will be at it. Before you know it, you'll be a pro!
ssgtswife33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:54 PM   #8  

When I first started working out I had a lot of muscle sprains too. If you are doing the move correctly and you still have trouble it might be from either a circulation problem (which you are helping by doing cardio) or a potassium deficency!

Once I started eating more bananas strawberries,and spinach I stopped spraining muscles and I have noticed that when I eat poorly, I run into trouble again.

I plan on taking swimming lesson in August! I am nervous and excited. Let me know how long it takes you to learn if no one else pipes up.

fikustrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:26 PM   #9  

Just out of curiosity, are you lifting your head over for a breath every stroke? If you are, it might help to go 4 full strokes(left/rightx4 and breath) which will lessen the neck movement. Good for you to get those lessons-- you'll be doing laps in no time. It is so good for you and easier on the joints.
tcstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:27 PM   #10  

Just out of curiosity, are you lifting your head over for a breath every arm stroke? If you are, it might help to go 4 full strokes(left/rightx4 and breath) which will lessen the neck movement. Good for you to get those lessons-- you'll be doing laps in no time. It is so good for you and easier on the joints.
tcstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:57 PM   #11