Old 07-07-2006, 04:07 PM   #1  

Default Pickle Binge??!!

Okay, so ya'll know I'm doing optifast...shakes and bars, no "real" food. I'm halfway through the 3 month fast.
I survived the holiday weeked - except, at a friend's BBQ, I ate a dill pickle spear. Before I ate it, I looked at the jar- 5 cals. I thought to myself - ok, I can have this; I'm not gonna kick myself out of ketosis and its not gonna be outside my calorie range - I deserve something since I can't have anything! (btw, I don't have any guilt)
Oh dear. It was soooo gooood...and I'm not a pickle person. I had one with my shake, and I was full. No worries.

Now, I've been craving pickles all week!
I don't know what to do.... I figure it is good that I'm not after some kind of junk food, but I don't want to cave in to a binge at all.
I've even dreamt about pickles this week! LMAO
Any ideas???
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:14 PM   #2  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Hey when I come home I crave the garlic kosher pickles......so I can relate to you. As for suggestions....just ride it out and try not to give in. I know you are on Opitfast so I am not sure what other alternative there is except for doing some exercise or activity to get your mind off the pickles. Hang in there....I swear sometimes I get a craving so bad the thing is calling my name from the cabinet.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:28 PM   #3  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I adore adore adore pickles. I love them because they're a treat without being calorie heavy. Can you have vegetables at all? Cucumbers are a nice subsititue when I don't want the sodium.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #4  

I can have veggies as an "emergency" - I have a list to choose from... I haven't needed them yet. Cucumbers are on the list (not pickles darn it), but I've never liked cucumbers. I also have sugar free jello as a free food... I bought some today for the first time, and had it with my lunch, but it didn't help.

How many days can you have a craving before you just have to give in to make it go away? Is there a point where it becomes necessary?? It helps some of the anxiety to talk about it. I keep thinking that if I went all out on pickles, I don't know what it would do to my digestive system LOL... At least I have to work tonight, so I won't have a chance to think about it then, but until then....I dunno
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:06 PM   #5  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Sounds like your body might be craving the sodium. If you think about it, it's probably because your body hasn't had a high sodium food in awhile and suddenly you gave it sodium and it's like, "Hey! We love that!"

Try imagine all that sodium trapping water in your body and making it bloat.

This is from the Medifast site:

Should I worry about salt in bouillon?

No. It's fine to have extra salt. In fact, it might even make you feel better if you are somewhat tired or are feeling light-headed or dizzy. When you are on Medifast, your body loses water quickly, along with some of your electrolytes such as sodium. Your body will eventually get back in balance, but having extra salt, such as in bouillon, will help it do this more quickly. You may have one bouillon per day as your allowed snack.

Last edited by Goddess Jessica; 07-07-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:51 PM   #6  
No Excuses/No Whining!

S/C/G: 333/263/185

Height: 5'7"

Goodness.. Pickles... having never liked pickles i dont really understand the appeal.. BUT. I would say ride it out. do some activity, write down your feelings. .something.. anything.. to not give in.. IT IS SO HARD! but i know you can do it. You def dont want to come off plan now that youve done it for so long..!!!

i know that you can do it! Cravings can really suck and become a very vicious animal.. I personally find its MUCH easier to not give into the craving, than to give in, and not to binge..

I wish you tons of luck and willpower..
supernurse_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote