Old 07-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #1  

Default A Neat Thought

I'm still struggling with motivation myself and can't seem to kick into gear at all but I found this today which sparks some thought:

Emotional Weight Loss Plateau or Portal to Change?
By Dr. John H. Sklare
Friday, December 23, 2005

You have been doing great with your new healthy lifestyle. You have been eating well and exercising daily when, out of nowhere, you hit an emotional plateau, don’t seem to care about eating healthy and can’t seem to find the will to continue. Does this sound like you today? If so, please do read on! There is a constant struggle going on inside your head, between who you are and who you want to be. It’s that internal tug-of-war between those two feuding parts of yourself (which I call the Responsible Adult and the Irresponsible Child) that is at the very heart of your emotional weight loss plateau or what I like to call your “emotional plateau."

This “emotional plateau” begins when the CHILD, after a period of being kept at bay, begins to reassert him or herself. “Not caring” is not a thought that the “Responsible Adult” would even consider. This is clearly a thought that belongs to the “Irresponsible Child” and it is clear evidence of the inner child maneuvering to regain control. Which part wins this battle (the Adult or the Child) will determine the eventual outcome of your quest for a more fit body and a healthier life.

So, if you find yourself in a weight loss plateau, please note that this is a very important and significant place that you are in right now. This very emotional place where you find yourself, at this very moment, is actually a portal. It’s a portal to one of two places. If you cave into the demands of the “Inner Child," you will find yourself in very familiar territory. You will return to the past and fight the same fight you have been fighting for years. However, if you persevere and listen to the logic and caring of your “Inner Adult," you will find yourself much further down the Yellow Brick Road. So, when viewed in this way, what you thought was an “emotional plateau” is actually a portal of opportunity. If you can REFRAME this situation in that context, you can change your life and reclaim your body. Make it happen! I believe in YOU!!

Wishing You Great Health!
Dr. John H. Sklare

http://www.lifescript.com/channels/w..._to_change.asp
Keillynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 02:42 PM   #2  
hara hachi bu

No kidding! What a great way to look at the 'emotional plateau'.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Boy, that hits it right on, IMHO. My child is constantly warring with my adult inside my head. The voice even sounds like a child-- kind of whiny -- who doesn't get her own way. I always feel victorious when I can shove that dang child right out of my head and make those responsible adult decisions.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:57 PM   #4  
No Excuses/No Whining!

S/C/G: 333/263/185

Height: 5'7"

What a great article.. very nice.. Thanks
supernurse_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:13 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 7"

For me, it isn't a question of getting "that dang child" out of my head, it's letting the child know that she's loved and cared for, even though we aren't having ice cream.

I know that many of my weight issues are linked to childhood, and she got beat up real good then. I'm working on structure and discipline around food, just like I have around a number of other issues in my life.
KristasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/219/145

Height: 5"1'

I'm glad you posted this. Very often the pshycology of eating takes a back seat to what to eat and how much to exercise but in my opinion is the most important aspect of dieting to gain control over. The rest is a cake walk if I can get my mind to cooperate with my new lifestyle. Thanks for posting this article.
wickchick is offline   Reply With Quote