Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-03-2006, 10:53 PM   #1  
LLV

Default I'm so tired of eating breakfast

When I started my 'new lifestyle', I knew that eating breakfast was important. Yet I had to really work to get it in because I was never a breakfast eater. I'm just not hungry in the morning. So most mornings I have to literally force myself to eat. And on mornings I just can't choke down any food, I have Slimfast. But I can't help but feel I'm just ingesting unnecessary calories with that stuff. Yeah, I know, it has nutrients. But I get those nutrients from the multi-vitamins I take every day. Basically the only reason I have the Slimfast is to get something in me to kickstart my metabolism and get things moving in my body - to 'wake things up', per se. But does it really matter if I have just plain old skim milk as opposed to adding the Slimfast to it?

This morning I had a glass of milk for breakfast and that was it. And I was fine until lunchtime. Because in the past I never really got hungry until lunchtime anyway.

Does anyone else have a hard time eating breakfast? Or am I just weird?

And does it REALLY matter if you eat breakfast or not? Because I'm seriously considering just having my glass of milk in the morning and forgetting it.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:58 PM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm with you! Not a breakfast food person AT ALL. DH And DS could eat breakfast for every meal but none of the food apeals to me and I'm not usually hungry in the morning. I've been doing the protein shake thing in the morning with much success (plus it gives me an excuse to sit in the kitchen on the computer in the morning for 20 minutes and check my e-mail etc). 1/4 cup milk powder, 1 scoop protein powder, 1 tblsp almond butter, ice, water most mornings. It all adds up to around 200 cals. All blended up in the blender. It's REALLY good (at least I think it is) and really nutritionally balanced. This morning I traded the almond butter out for 1/4 cup icecream LOL but I was in a BAAAAD mood. The little kick of protein, carbs, and good fat really give me a boost in the morning. It's really evident when I don't have it... I just want to go right back to bed!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:25 PM   #3  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock
mornings. It all adds up to around 200 cals. All blended up in the blender.
Well see, that's part of my problem - I'm really lazy in the morning and don't feel like fixing anything. So doing a bunch of stuff up in the blender (although that sounds really delicious) isn't an option either
Old 07-04-2006, 12:46 AM   #4  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

I get up at 5am on work days, and don't actually eat my "breakfast" until 8:30- I'm just not ready to eat until then. However, I do always have a 100-150 calorie get-me-up at about 5:30 or 6 (with my first Diet Coke). To be quite honest, I can't say that they are always the healthiest items on the planet: a breakfast bar, granola bar, 100 calorie pack, or one of my pre-portioned Japanese snack bags (Japan get's my vote for best snack maker in the world). But with starting my working day so early, I just don't have the time or energy to put into even a bowl of cerial (which I wouldn't like anyway).

I think it's probably not bad to listen to your body: you've given it a chance to accept the earlier food, and if it still doesn't seem to welcome it then why force it to eat a full meal? Go with something smaller and easier to start the day, and then back it up with a second meal later in the morning, or just have your breakfast a little bit later when you're system's had a chance to get moving.

Some of us are morning people, and some of us just aren't: I can force myself to wake up at 5am, and I can walk around, put on my clothes and drive (though it's probably good that the streets are deserted), but there is very little else about me that functions until several hours later.
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:25 AM   #5  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

I never used to be able to eat breakfast. Even the idea of trying to drink a glass of juice or water seemed to make me sick. I had to force myself. At first it was just warm water, for some reason, just being warm made it easier, soothing. I was eventually able to eat a banana and then other fruits. Some days I would just grab a piece of fruit and some cheese just for the balance of protein.

I don't seem to have a problem with it any more, although on days off, I have a tendency not to get to it. It's almost noon before I eat anything. If i'm not doing anything any way, I don't worry about not having food.
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm in! Eating breakfast was like the last thing I learned and I did it begrudgingly. It's also the first thing to go when I backslide.
Linda's got me to thinking that perhaps it's one of those things that just hasn't 'clicked' for me.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:04 AM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoreth
I think it's probably not bad to listen to your body: you've given it a chance to accept the earlier food, and if it still doesn't seem to welcome it then why force it to eat a full meal? Go with something smaller and easier to start the day, and then back it up with a second meal later in the morning, or just have your breakfast a little bit later when you're system's had a chance to get moving.
What I've been doing is just drinking a glass of skim milk. To get something. I mean, the milk is better than nothing, right?

I'm just tired of forcing myself to do something I absolutely hate doing. I have some mornings where I'm hungry enough to eat food, but they're rare. Most of the time I'm perfectly happy with a glass of milk and nothing more.

Thanks
Old 07-04-2006, 10:06 AM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantforgetthis
I don't seem to have a problem with it any more, although on days off, I have a tendency not to get to it. It's almost noon before I eat anything. If i'm not doing anything any way, I don't worry about not having food.
True, but I get nervous and actually feel guilt when I don't eat breakfast because of everybody shouting the importance of it. In fact, eating breakfast every morning helped me to lose weight because it got things moving in there, supposedly, and helped to burn more calories? I mean how many more calories can you really burn simply by eating breakfast?

lol

And that's another factor, the calories. I HATE wasting daily calories on a meal I don't want in the first place.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:09 AM   #9  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB
I'm in! Eating breakfast was like the last thing I learned and I did it begrudgingly. It's also the first thing to go when I backslide.
Linda's got me to thinking that perhaps it's one of those things that just hasn't 'clicked' for me.
I thought it did. It was working for a while. But I knew I'd "backslide" as well with the breakfast thing cuz I was just never a breakfast person. Like Karen said, I have some mornings where I can't even choke down water. Let alone eat FOOD.

I just can't do it anymore.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:31 AM   #10  
No description available.

It's funny how different we all are. If I drank a glass of skim milk on an empty stomach, I would probably puke.

One of my fav things for breakfast is a piece of raisin bread, toasted, with a smear of peanut butter.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:19 AM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I am almost never hungry when I wake up. My biggest trigger for overeating is eating when I'm not hungry, so I've been trying to wait until I'm hungry before I eat anything.

My first meal is usually is about 2 to 3 hours after I wake up. It could be considered a late breakfast or an early lunch. For me, the biggest danger in "skipping" breakfast is waiting to eat until I'm SOOOO hungry that I am ravenous and could eat anything not nailed down.

I don't care for "breakfast foods," and also have to fight against eating by the clock, so I'm actually trying not to "name" any of my meals, because I'm trying to get out of the habit of making choices of what, how much, and when I eat based on the time.

My husband and I are eating our most substantial meal around 2pm, and then having soup or something light in the evening. Basically one actual "meal" and several "snacks." The problem with thinking of any of the meals as "breakfast," "snack," "dinner," or "lunch," is that it influences what I choose and how much I eat. If I get hungry, and call it a "snack," I tend to reach for "snack food," where as if I think of our evening meal as "dinner," the soup or sandwhich seems skimpy. I don't know if that matters or makes sense to anyone else, but it seems to be working for me.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:58 AM   #12  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife
It's funny how different we all are. If I drank a glass of skim milk on an empty stomach, I would probably puke.

One of my fav things for breakfast is a piece of raisin bread, toasted, with a smear of peanut butter.
That sounds good. But again, sometimes I can't even get toast down. It's the whole food thing in the morning. I literally have to force myself to eat and I'm simply tired of doing it
Old 07-04-2006, 11:59 AM   #13  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods
If I get hungry, and call it a "snack," I tend to reach for "snack food," where as if I think of our evening meal as "dinner," the soup or sandwhich seems skimpy. I don't know if that matters or makes sense to anyone else, but it seems to be working for me.
Yep, hehe, that makes sense
Old 07-04-2006, 01:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

My only worry is total caloric count for the day for you. You already say you have difficulties sometimes reaching a lowish number like 1200, if you cut breakfast, will that make it easier for you to eat less? If you don't eat breakfast and still manage to hit a healthy calorie level for the day, that sounds fine. It really doesn't matter what time of the day calories are taken in. If you cut breakfast and never make up those calories during the day, I would think that wouldn't be a good thing at all.

Ultimately, if you HATE eating breakfast - don't eat breakfast. Life is too short to do things you hate every day.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:37 PM   #15  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Some mornings I want to eat a substantial breakfast right away. Other mornings I don't. On these days I have something simple.. like an apple, yogurt, or a glass of soy milk. Then later in the morning, I have my second breakfast. (Thank goodness for Hobbit's second breakfast)... It works for me especially since the second breakfast keeps me from being famished at lunch time and making poor choices.

The hardest part was getting this to work on days I went to work. It isn't easy for a teacher to just eat something mid-morning. So I extend the invitation to my class. If they bring something healthy and not too messy we just called it snack time..

But from now on we'll call it Hobbitt's second breakfast.. cause I agree.. it seems when we call it "snack" there seems to be this preordained thing that it has to be some kind of processed "munchie".
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote