Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-26-2006, 07:16 PM   #1  

Default New to 3 Fat Chicks and Had Gastric Bypass

I just found the site and I am thrilled that there is a WLS thread. I had my gastric bypass on 4/24/06 and I'm down 45 pounds so far. I, like many others, had tried other conventional weight loss groups and I did okay. I lost 100 pounds with Weight Watchers, but I eventually gained it back. I'm 33 years old and my family has a history of diabetes, obesity, arthritis, high blood pressure and a host of other illnesses. I didn't want to continue gaining weight and end up home bound and unable to walk because of obesity and disease. So I decided to have the surgery. I'm glad I did it but still worry about whether I am going to lose all the weight that I want to lose. I worry about whether I am eating too much; exercising too little or if can do this for the long haul. I have attended OVereaters Anonymous, but I don't know if it's for me yet. I know that I have to get the emotional reasons why I eat under control if I want to maintain the loss long term. I feel healthier and that makes me so happy but at the same time I'm scared.

Anyway, that's all I have to say for now.

Jeanette
Yorkiemom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:26 PM   #2  

Welcome to 3FC, Jeanette! And way to go on those 45 pounds! I just had surgery on June 12th and I'm a LOT older than you but I also lost 100 pounds via WW a couple of years ago and gained every pound back when I quit smoking! Toting all that extra weight around a second time has virtually destroyed my knees and I was almost to the point where I couldn't walk anymore.

I am feeling better every day after surgery, although I'm a little worried since I feel my appetite returning AND I feel sure my surgeon will progress me to soft foods in a couple of days.

The ladies here seem like a wonderful group and will have much wisdom to help you along the way!
Starting Over Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:40 AM   #3  
RNY 3/1/06

Height: 5'2" and shrinking

Welcome Jeanette. I had RNY WLS about 4 months ago. If it hadn't been for the ladies on this board, I would have been a nervous wreck before the surgery. These friends are truly a blessing for me.
Loodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:23 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

it's nice to meet you, jeanette! and we're glad you found our little corner.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:48 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Welcome
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:02 PM   #6  
Have you exercised today?

S/C/G: 271/170/170

Height: 5'8"

Hi Jeanette! I'm new around here too. I had WLS in Dec03 and I lost 110 pounds. I have since been maintaining a hundred pound loss. I guess my body didn't like 160. It seems my body is happier between 170 and 175. Best wishes to you on your journey.
FairyWinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:00 PM   #7  

Hey Jeanette, welcome to the boards! We're about the same age. It is a huge decision to make to do WLS, but you are on your way! This is a great place to express yourself, whether you vent or dance for joy.
invisigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:50 AM   #8  
RNY 3/1/06

Height: 5'2" and shrinking

Pam Welcome to you too. It is nice to have more people joining us.
Loodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:56 PM   #9  

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement. I worry about hunger and eating too much. I'm constantly afraid that I'm eating too much and not exercising enough and it has only been 2 months!!I worry that I went through something so radical and the weight wont come off. I try to focus on what I have lost and not on what I need to lose, but its hard. And because I have lost weight before, I know that the hardest part is maintanence and not losing it. If I'm stressing now, I can't imagine how I am going to feel in a year or two.

Jeanette
Old 06-29-2006, 09:41 AM   #10  
Counting down the pounds

S/C/G: 265/230 (RNY)/147/130

I had my surgery in Aug. 2004 and I worried about the same things you are worrying about now. After a while you realize that all the worrying in the world is not going to help - but action and knowledge are the keys to losing the rest of the weight. You only have a 2 year 'honeymoon' period so you should take that time to learn as much as you can about dieting and good, nutritious foods and how they affect your weight loss. You should think about using the website fitday because I think it will just be another tool in your arsenal - just as the surgery is. I'm sure that they will also have post-op classes available - and you really should take advantage of them. The weight-loss surgery can not work by itself - it really isn't a quick fix at all. But as time goes by, you'll realize that.

Best of luck! Kitty
chaoskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:38 AM   #11  
Old Cackler

kitty - what kind of dog is that? she looks a lot like magnolia louise [my dog - a rottweiler/lab mix, although some people think she's a rott/doberman]

very very cute.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:14 PM   #12  
Have you exercised today?

S/C/G: 271/170/170

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loodie
Pam Welcome to you too. It is nice to have more people joining us.

Not to hijack Jeanette's thread but thanks for the welcome Loodie.
FairyWinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:49 PM   #13  
Counting down the pounds

S/C/G: 265/230 (RNY)/147/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop
kitty - what kind of dog is that? she looks a lot like magnolia louise [my dog - a rottweiler/lab mix, although some people think she's a rott/doberman]

very very cute.
Thanks jiffypop - he was a doberman, although not registered. Smartest dog that ever owned me!

With Magnolia having dobe in her, I'm sure she's very very smart.
chaoskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:32 AM   #14  

Hi Jeanette.. I know it's a late welcome, but I haven't had the time to log on lately.. I can totally feel you, I have had my surgery a month before you, and although at first I was happy because I felt that this is finally IT! After all the ups and downs.. But lately, I've come to the realization that this is in no way a gurantee that I would lose weight and keep it off unless I really work at it, and this thought freaked me out a bit.. But still, it is much easier than before, and as Kitty recommended, fitday really helps..

Good luck on your journey
Della1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #15  

Thanks for the posts! I keep hearing about the honeymoon period but I'm stressed out! I keep hearing my surgeons voice in my head saying that gastric bypass is a tool and not a fix all. I think about that every single day, especially when I make food choices. I'm trying to make healthy ones now so that when I can eat a "normal" meal, I'll choose what's best for my body. I'm making exercise a regular part of my life so that the weight will come off and stay off. I weigh myself every single day and there have been weeks where I have lost nothing. It just motivates me to work harder at working out and eating healthy. I hope that these changes will stick with me for the rest of my life. Gastric Bypass surgery is not a fix all, it is a tool. It's my new Mantra.

Jeanette