Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-24-2006, 04:38 PM   #1  

Default AM i crazy?

So ive been counting my calories for about 6 months now? everything everything everything, breakfast, lunch and dinner.. i even made my own dinner apart from my family because i didnt know the content of the foods, ive been in amaintenance mode for a while now and i started enjoying my dinners with the family for about 2 weeks now taking a hard guess and what i could possibly be eating, i offer to clean the chicken to make sure tehrs no extra fat, i watchw hen my moms cooking so i know whats going in it and etc etc etc, but my sister always made fun of me for measuring my food and counting calories, she calls me crazy and always asks me if im gonna live the REST of my life like this! and i thought about it, am i? i mena have any of you guys ever thought or dred having to count what you eat and sticking to solely that? im just wondering what everyones input is on counting calories and measuring every day and so on... any input? it never really bothered me but now that im always being ridiculed about it i really do think... im only 17, hopefully i have a long way to go in life still, but will i be doing this my whole life to mantain my weight?
Caramello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Like I said in your earlier thread, if you're tired of counting/measuring STOP and see what happens. If you've been counting calories for 6 months, you probably have a good idea of what a portion size LOOKS like and what a healthy day of eating LOOKS like.

Keep weighing yourself once a week and keep an eye on how your pants fit. If the scale stays steady and your pants fit well - everything is good. If the scale goes up and stays up after a few weeks or your pants feel snug, you might have to go back to counting for awhile until you feel more comfortable estimating portion sizes.

Personally, I'm 36 years old and I couldn't care less if anyone makes fun of me for counting calories or bringing my own veggie burgers to a barbeque. Losing weight is hard, keeping weight off is HARDER. I'm doing what I need to do be permanently successful and how awesome I look in jeans and how much energy I have now that I've lost weight is worth any ridicule. I don't feel crazy counting calories, I feel determined. It takes less than 10 minutes out of my day to enter my food into Fitday - not sure what's crazy about that.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:54 PM   #3  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

You might be, yes, but you may well find that it's worth it. One of my big lightbulb moments was realising that most of the people I know who are the size I want to be are careful about what they eat. They might not be on a structured diet, but they take care with their food, snack on fruit rather than chocolate and exercise. Some people work harder at it than others, but I don't know a single thin person who maintains that weight entirely effortlessly. Some do it instinctively and some work at it, but you look at their eating and exercise habits and you realise why they're thin. And those who don't pay attention to what they eat quite so much, well, they're fatter than I am. Some are still relatively thin, some are overweight, some are obese, but they're all weights that I wouldn't want to go back to. I realised that for me, I'd rather be careful and sensible with food for the rest of my life than fat for the rest of my life. I'm not obsessive, and I allow myself treats. But I know I can never go back to how I used to eat, and I've accepted that. It's not just me, because I used to be obese, it's something that nearly everyone has to do to stay at a healthy weight, whether they realise they're doing it or not.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:04 PM   #4  
jadedjane

take a good look at what you've journaled over the past 6 months. You might see that you have developed a dietary pattern. It's unrealistic to think that you're going to have to measure everything all the time, but you probably have a good eye for portion sizes, and alot of the caloric values for food memorized. Every once in a while, go back and re-check your portion sizes and make sure you get on the scale on a regular basis and things should be fine.

Also keep special occasions in mind ahead of time. You know a holiday is coming up, and you KNOW you're going to splurge, so be prepared. I'm cutting 500 calories from my daily intake on July 3rd and 500 from July 5th in order to save 1000 calories for apple pie, macaroni, ribs, or potato salad. I probably wont even use all 1000 calories, but I'll know they are there if I need them.

Start: 310 (October 2004
Goal: 150 (hit on Feb 14th, 2006)
Current: 137 and holding
jadedjane is offline   Reply With Quote