Old 06-23-2006, 08:03 PM   #1  
MeoW

S/C/G: 275/215/160

Height: 5'7

Question Making Excuses

Hey everyone, im just writing to see if anyone else has this problem. My whole life Ive made excuses for myself and its just carrying over into my weight loss, like for instance, its ok if I have that bowl of ice cream because I just walked for 20 mins. I know thats my problem and Im just wondering if anyone else had the same thing and how they got themselves to stop it.

its really pathetic, even my hubby makes fun of me for it lol I need to stop it!!!
cupcake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 08:29 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Well, I used to do this too - and the key for me was twofold. First, I had to set concrete goals for myself (not "I want to lose weight" but "I want to lose 20 lbs by July 4th")...having something to work toward gave me a really solid reason NOT to make excuses. Then, I had to realistically track everything I did. For example, for me, walking for 20 minutes at a moderate pace would burn approx. 70 calories, and a single serving of regular chocolate ice cream (half a cup!) would be, at minimum, 135-140 calories. Tracking like this helped me realize that I'd earned maybe a 1/4 c of ice cream. This is just an example, but it really helped me to actually look at the net benefit of what I was doing.

Second, and more important thing for me, was to not have anything forbidden. I eat ice cream more often now than when I was heavier - I have single-serving, half cup packages in my freezer of light ice creams and rainbow sherbet. I know I like ice cream, and I know how many calories a day I have to work with, so I eat healthful, complete, and filling meals and snacks, then have my little 130-150 cal dessert treat. Because nothing is forbidden, I don't HAVE to make an excuse for it - I just have to plan for it and watch portion sizes.

I've also found it helpful to tell myself that there is no reasonable excuse for certain things. Example - there is no excuse for me not to get up and exercise. I've gotten up and exercised with a hangover, with a dislocated knee, with the temp outside being 105, whatever. I modify on those days (only doing arm work when my knee was out, doing an indoor-only routine when its hot, going at a bit less intensity when its my TOM or that one time when I was hung over), but I have convinced myself that there is NO excuse for not doing it. Enough repetition of that and it finally sunk in, and now, my brain doesn't even try to come up with excuses...its out of bed and onto the workout, period. There are no reasonable excuses not to drink all of my water, there are no reasonable excuses for skipping breakfast, etc. Once you start telling yourself that, over and over, it will probably sink in for you like it did for me.

I totally understand the problem and how hard it is to overcome, and I wanted to give you a lot of credit for realizing that your excuses aren't helping you right now...thats the first step in moving beyond them.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 12:34 AM   #3  
MeoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82
First, I had to set concrete goals for myself (not "I want to lose weight" but "I want to lose 20 lbs by July 4th")...having something to work toward gave me a really solid reason NOT to make excuses. Then, I had to realistically track everything I did

I totally agree with that. I think that that is my new plan of action, as well as a food and exercize diary. I did weight watchers before and I lost alot of weight.....years ago when i was 14ish. Im also not sure how much weight I should set for my short term goal.

Thanks for your great advice!!!!!
Old 06-24-2006, 04:51 AM   #4  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

i found out that for me it is not a matter of willpower, but a matter of making a decision that this is how it is going to be. for me willpower is overrated and in fact i don't believe it can be relied on. you have to make the decision to not have that bowl of ice cream to undo your hard work.

since january i have maintained, although my exercise has increased alot. i put it down to me not watching my food better and therefore my intake was equalling my expenditure of calories. only this week has the whole thing 'clicked' for me and fallen into place.

no one can make the decision for you to stop thinking of excuses as to why you should have this ice cream or that chocolate. only you can. you need to make a decision that perhaps you allow yourself one or two servings per week. also if you are using the food as a reward, it needs to stop. find another reward for doing your 20 minute exercise. perhaps hubby can give you a 5 min foot massage or you have a bath - whatever tickles your fancy.

it takes time, but you can do it
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 09:51 AM   #5  
Amber

S/C/G: 180/165/130

Great advice Daisy. I am the queen of excuses as well cupcake. I have learned I have to make the right decision or else, I pay the consequence. Plain & Simple. Good luck to you!
amb_lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:34 PM   #6  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

I think at one point or another we`ve all made those kind of excuses for ourselves. In Bob Greene's Total Body Makeover book he says this about making excuses:

"Excuses are a sure sign that you`re not ready to do the hard work of change that lies in front of you. On the other hand, if you`re willing to call yourself on your excuses and see them for what they are-- diversionary tactics you`re using to keep yourself form feeling awful about making bad choices or way to defend your current way of life--then there's hope....
People who succeed at weight loss give up on making excuses. They don't let themselves off the hook. They're not always perfect, but when they aren't, they take responsibility for their actions and then move on. "

And later on he says...

"Successful people don't just tell the truth, they also take responsibility for it. They vow to change and make good on that promise. Saying, 'That's just the way I am, and I'll have to work around it,' won't get you anywhere. Saying, 'Thats how I used to be, but I'm not going to be that person anymore,' will."

I guess it is kind of a tough-love approach, but it has helped me stop making excuses for myself.
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 07:35 PM   #7  
...future runner...

S/C/G: 215/193.6/135

Gee, I think everyone still struggles with that. I mean even though I've lost some weight I'm still learning to change some really damaging habts of mine.

For example rewarding myself with food!

Yes, I just drank my water, walked, ate better then why do I find a need to reward myself with fattening food etc.

I'm still working on this!
rosiek2277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:28 PM   #8  
MeoW

yes i also always use food as rewards. rewards for everything. cleaning the house i reward myself with a mcdonalds meal, when i was in school, getting good marks it was a reward of a big meal from my family....its neverending lol